Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #85

If you want to disconnect the negative just put a new longer cable on the positive and flip the battery around. The negative is long enough to reach.
With the new type of battery terminals Ford uses a disconnect is not required. Just lift the terminal off and set it aside. It takes me 10 seconds to pop the hood, lift off the terminal and close the hood. The reverse is just as quick. With the taper on the post and terminal all that is needed to put it on is a little hand pressure. No tools required. I don't even put the hood prop up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got a new Ford Focus 2014 SE model and need info on a "good" easy to install battery disconnect switch.
Am I correct when I read I could turn the battery around by just getting a longer positive [red] cable so it makes getting the black cable off easier.

riata2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #87
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If you want to disconnect the negative just put a new longer cable on the positive and flip the battery around. The negative is long enough to reach. With the new type of battery terminals Ford uses a disconnect is not required. Just lift the terminal off and set it aside. It takes me 10 seconds to pop the hood, lift off the terminal and close the hood. The reverse is just as quick. With the taper on the post and terminal all that is needed to put it on is a little hand pressure. No tools required. I don't even put the hood prop up.
Az, my 2012 focus used a top mounted 10mm nut to tighten terminal on post. This doesn't lift on and off by hand that I can tell.
Can you provide a picture of what you describe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-743337001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	59114  
Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Az, my 2012 focus used a top mounted 10mm nut to tighten terminal on post. This doesn't lift on and off by hand that I can tell.
Can you provide a picture of what you describe?
That is the same as I have. Just tighten the 10MM nut tight enough so the terminal will slip 1/2 way down the post with hand pressure. You will see that due to the taper on post and terminal that it becomes plenty tight but is still easy to remove by hand without loosening the nut further. Give it a try and you will see what I mean.

I just finished a 2-1/2 week trip where I did the procedure about every other day and it worked great. I also just left the front 1/2 of the cover off.

The Focus turns out to be quite a nice toad.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #89
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Revisiting the battery disconnect solution. I currently am using hdmoxness solution one from page 2 of this thread.
Still considering turning the battery around but even the positive cable is strange. My positive cable has a white wire coming off it and heads down between the battery and battery case. How are those of you flipping the battery, dealing with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2461967265.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	60024  
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #90

Exactly. Mine too.
What don't you like about the hdmoxness solution?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #91
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Exactly. Mine too. What don't you like about the hdmoxness solution?
HD's solution is great.. If I wanted to get all the connections off the top of the fuse box/ firewall I might consider flipping battery.
That, and I probably have too much time on my hands.. Hahaha.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #92

2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium. I am have a company in El Cajon, California, called Precision, installing a US Gear Unified Tow Braking System. I am having them install a cut off switch for the ground cable, completely isolating the negative battery lead from the cars electrical system. The brake and running lights are separately wired and activated from the Motorhome. The Fords battery will provide power for the braking system and the brake and running lights. A charge wire from the Motohome will provide a continuous charge to the car battery. They are also providing a shut-off switch for the Unified Braking System when not in use. I am supposed to deliver our Motorhome to them next week so they can complete the hookup. We will not be going anywhere right away so I won't be able to test the system, except for driving it around town initially. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #93

For battery flippers. When you buy the new 24" positive lead, get it with the auxiliary lead that connects to the white wire. It is a standard cable. Any good auto store has them. I used Deka #00295.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile sbranen

Looking forward to your report.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbranen View Post
I have a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium. I am have a company in El Cajon, California, called Precision, installing a US Gear Unified Tow Braking System. I am having them install a cut off switch for the ground cable, completely isolating the negative battery lead from the cars electrical system. The brake and running lights are separately wired and activated from the Motorhome. The Fords battery will provide power for the braking system and the brake and running lights. A charge wire from the Motohome will provide a continuous charge to the car battery. They are also providing a shut-off switch for the Unified Braking System when not in use. I am supposed to deliver our Motorhome to them next week so they can complete the hookup. We will not be going anywhere right away so I won't be able to test the system, except for driving it around town initially. Will let you know how it works out.
The installer, after speaking to a US Gear Tech, put the negative cable back on the negative battery post and removed the 12 volt cable and attached it to the cut off switch instead. So now power is available to the US gear braking system and the chassis is totally disconnected from the battery. US Gear says this is the best way to isolate the transmission completely from the battery.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbranen View Post
The installer, after speaking to a US Gear Tech, put the negative cable back on the negative battery post and removed the 12 volt cable and attached it to the cut off switch instead. So now power is available to the US gear braking system and the chassis is totally disconnected from the battery. US Gear says this is the best way to isolate the transmission completely from the battery.
One more thing. I have the electronic key system and the only thing I lose when the battery is disconnected is my original odometer reading. All other original settings remain the same.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #98

Connecting an auxillary brake system to a 2014 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
We have now had installed on our 2014 auto-trans ford focus a blue-ox base plate, and I installed (temporarily) the RVI2 12 v socket directly wired to my focus battery. We have towed it several times, the longest distance 220 miles.

I have been disconnecting the positive battery clamp. I then put on a new terminal clamp that I clip the hot lead for my 12v plug for the rvi2 and use that only when I tow my focus. I clip onto the negative strap at its connection to the car body.

I would have removed the negative (like the focus handbook states) except that rear battery cover is a Pain.

The negative clamp, at least on my car and i presume all the 2014's, has a small black box with two leads on it.....I believe this to be the Battery management system.....but really am not sure. I asked at the dealer about it and, well, they aren't so sure also......

Just disconnecting the ground strap at the frame is very inviting since it is so accessible....but that still leaves that little black box on the neg. terminal clamp connected.......

So...I will tow my focus several more times to confirm I am happy with it and the rvi2 brake system, which so far seems promising. Once I conclude I am happy with my set-up I will install a battery disconnect switch on the negative strap, and install two toggles to switch off the two leads to that little black box, and have the 12v plug installed more permanently in the car(right now I have the wire passing thru the area of the drivers door hinge, thru the top of the fender and into the engine compartment with alligator clips on the end to clip on to the pos and neg connections. Its not pretty but ok for the trial period)

I also bring along my infrared thermometer when I tow and check the focus tranny and brake temps when I stop to see if anything funky is goin on with the toad....so far so good.

I would hook my battery disconnect switch to the positive cable except that there is no place that I think I can fit it.....and the easier choice is on the neg with the two toggles for that black box.
rich
I have a Road-Master "Add-A-Brake" (AAB) that I've tried to connect to my MH through the 4 wire

Tags
ford, battery, battery disconnect