Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #113

Update on our experience towing our Focus

I added the Battery Doctor disconnect between the stock and a new negative battery cable. After reading another post here, we ordered the Clore JNC660 battery booster, to power our Brake Buddy. I liked that idea better than direct wiring Focus battery to Brake Buddy, draining the Focus battery and having to come up with a charging solution. Due to some unrelated delays, we finally took a little trip to Vermont over the past several days, towing our Focus for the first time. We are pleased with the way everything worked. I can't imagine having to wrench the negative battery cable every time, so the disconnect switch is a must have. When I added up all we would have to do to power the Brake Buddy, the Booster also became a must have for us. We are still learning the features of this new Focus Titanium, so I'm not sure if we lose any presets yet, especially on radio and navigation. I thought I had to retrain the rear windows for the auto-up feature, but not the front. My wife was skeptical, said the rear weren't trained before. Now we have to go out and get a lot of practice.
Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and experience.
Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #114

Thor Owners Club
On 2014, 5door focus titanium I used a "latching solenoid" with a remote, weather proof momentary contact switch,. The switch is on the outside front of car. This interrupts the positive line including the white wire. One push opens solenoid, next push closes solenoid. Two fuse holders seen are, 1 is a 10 amp. for switch, second is empty, but in case I found out I needed a " memory saver ". I also use Ready Break surge break. Peter

Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Question for Petcar

Looks like a nifty solution for positive battery disconnect. Would you please specify the solenoid and other parts you added? Do I see that you ran the Ford factory positive cable directly to the solenoid and then added a cable downstream from the solenoid? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #116

Thor Owners Club
The solenoid and site of purchase is Cole Hersee 24200 12V Insulated Continuous Duty Latching Solenoid.

Cole Hersee 24200 12V Insulated Continuous Duty Latching Solenoid-www.boatandrvaccessories.com

The weather proof switch came from local O'reilly auto parts. I mounted the switch in lower left fake grill. Now I don't need to open hood, I can hear it click. Yes I used existing battery cable feed and a 12" #4 cable out feed, also from O'rielly. Peter
PS with a latching solenoid no power is used except to momentary open and close.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #117

I am towing a 2011 Ford Fiesta S and manual also says to disconnect the battery when towing. I am also using a Brake Buddy which requires electrical power.

How does one power the Brake Buddy ?
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #118

2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

Disconnect the positive cable. Don't mess around with the negative cable. I have a disconnect switch with the positive cable from the battery on one side of the switch and the cable to the chassis hooks up to the other side of the switch. You can easily switch your battery off, isolating your chassis and the transmission. You can easily use your battery to power your brake system. I have a charge wire coming from my Motorhome battery to continually charge my battery. I have been using this system now for many miles and have had no problems at all. Others have done the very same thing with absolutely no problems at all, My vehicle is a 2014 Focus Titanium with an automatic transmission.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #119

Tiffin Owners Club
BB has a wiring harness for sale that allows you to wire a device that looks like a cigarette plug through the fire wall and direct to the battery. This then is the only "live" connection when you are towing your FF, this what I have
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/A...ect-Kit:thumb:
riata2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Ford Focus Titanium Towing

I just completed the installation of my towing package on my 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback. I have the push-button start, Sync/Nav package.

Before I decided which route to take with my install, I read every thread I could find on the subject, including this one. While I think many of you came up with very elegant solutions to the battery disconnect requirement, I found most of them to be overly complex. In the end, I decided to just disconnect the positive cable and stow it in the front of the battery box. It literally takes less than a minute to complete and I did not have to modify any of the vehicles wiring.

I've attached a video of my battery disconnect.

As this discussion is for battery disconnects, I won't elaborate on the rest of my towing package other than to say what I did. My coach has a seven wire tow connection, a Roadmaster Brakemaster system (used with the previous toad), and a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain towbar.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate, a Blue Ox add-a-bulb kit, Roadmaster towbar to base plate adapters, the Roadmaster Brakemaster extra vehicle kit, and the Roadmaster Stop-Light kit. I also had to remove the Sterling safety cables and route new ones to connect to the Blue Ox base plate. When towing, I have no power applied to any circuit on the Focus. The motorhome provides a +12v signal to the stop light switch and I route that signal (+12v) back to the Brakemaster dash indicator light using the electric brake pin (rewired obviously) on the coach tow jack. The total install took me two days - approximately 9 hours each day. Getting the Blue Ox base plate installed is a long and arduous process but it fits nicely and looks good once installed. I pulled the toad for the first time last week and the entire tow package works wonderfully. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Attached Files
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just purchased 1 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 door hatchback auto tran, key start. Plan on flat towing with our Fleedwood Excursion using BO tow bar and base plate. Etrailer is doing the face plate installation and the light kit wiring. according to owner's manual to disconnect negative cable to flat tow which means no power to the 12V plug and no power source for my brake buddy. Anyone, any suggestions? By the way Ford does not recommend using a wiring bypass offered by etrailer. Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Focus brakes & battery disconnect

Excurion04, if you are going to power your brake buddy from the Focus battery, instead of from a 12v line from the MH like f14av8r above, you are likely going to have to use a positive battery disconnect, not negative.That will isolate the car electrical system from any possible power and, if you use a battery switch, you can power your brake buddy from the hot side of the switch without fear.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
I just purchased 1 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 door hatchback auto tran, key start. Plan on flat towing with our Fleedwood Excursion using BO tow bar and base plate. Etrailer is doing the face plate installation and the light kit wiring. according to owner's manual to disconnect negative cable to flat tow which means no power to the 12V plug and no power source for my brake buddy. Anyone, any suggestions? By the way Ford does not recommend using a wiring bypass offered by etrailer. Thanks
Hi Excurion,
I agree. Powering the Brake Buddy via the charge line from the motorhome would be the best solution. I would run a separate power and ground wire from the tow connector on the motorhome all the way to the brake buddy so that it is completely isolated from the car. Alternately, you could install a battery disconnect on the POSITIVE cable of the battery, connect the hot wire of the brake buddy to the battery side of the disconnect switch and use the car's ground. If you do that, you should probably run a charge line from the motorhome to the positive side of the disconnect as well. That should keep the battery charged adequately and has the advantage of providing some reserve capacity (the battery) for the Brake Buddy system.
Good luck with your project!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by riata2 View Post
BB has a wiring harness for sale that allows you to wire a device that looks like a cigarette plug through the fire wall and direct to the battery. This then is the only "live" connection when you are towing your FF, this what I have
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/A...ect-Kit:thumb:
x2. This is what I use and it works fine. It's isolated from the car's wiring. I've gone two days without disconnecting the BB and have not had an issue with battery drain.
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #125

2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

I tow a 2012 Ford Focus that requires that the battery be disconnected.
I installed a battery disconnect switch on the positive and negative sides of the battery.
I also installed extra lights in the rear lens to have brake and turn signals.
I am using the SMI Air Force One braking system.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #126

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2013 focus. Had a battery cutoff switch installed on the negative. I follow the instructions in the owners Manuel and have had NO problems with towing 2800 miles so far. I use the Readybrake elite and love it since the car is barely 3000 lbs.

Tags
ford, battery, battery disconnect