Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2014 GMC 4 door as a tow?

We have a 2015 DutchStar 4018 diesel ordered. My wife does not want me to setup my 2014 GMC 1500 crew cab as a toad. She thinks it is too long too big to tow. She want to buy something little. I don't want another vehicle to insure and license for just a toad.
So I said I would ask the folks on this forum. What are the pros and cons of towing such a large truck?
Thanks
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

We tow a '14 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel and LOVE it. Traded in a 13 Caddy SRX for it and would not go back! The extra space and carrying capacity is so nice to have as well. Being able to tackle back roads when we are touring is an added plus. My train is a little longer but not enough to make driving any more difficult. My check mileage in the coach is the same.
Visibility is also a big factor, do much better in the truck my wife hated all the blind spots in the SRX.
Might want to rent a smaller car for her so that she can make an informed decision.
As for us truck all the way!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I towed a Yukon XL, same as a Suburban, with no problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

We went from a Chevy Colorado to a Silverado because we needed the additional bed space. I won't go back, even though the Colorado pulled just fine. Bigger is better! We now have space for the 17 cu ft chest freezer, outboadr and all the fishing gear we need when we fish Alaska.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
We tow a '14 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel and LOVE it. Traded in a 13 Caddy SRX for it and would not go back! The extra space and carrying capacity is so nice to have as well. Being able to tackle back roads when we are touring is an added plus. My train is a little longer but not enough to make driving any more difficult. My check mileage in the coach is the same.
Visibility is also a big factor, do much better in the truck my wife hated all the blind spots in the SRX.
Might want to rent a smaller car for her so that she can make an informed decision.
As for us truck all the way!
Hey spinn
Well we have a SRX also...but DW says no way will she let me "destroy" her Caddy.
As you can tell we have never had a toad. Always rented a car. OK sometimes...but real pain other times. Our Son has a Jeep Liberty...he says we can use it when we camp...but you how those arrangements work out.
What brake do you use on your Ram?
Thanks
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

We tow a gmc 2500 4door . we have no problems with the size it is a very easy to tow and setup.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
Hey spinn
Well we have a SRX also...but DW says no way will she let me "destroy" her Caddy.
As you can tell we have never had a toad. Always rented a car. OK sometimes...but real pain other times. Our Son has a Jeep Liberty...he says we can use it when we camp...but you how those arrangements work out.
What brake do you use on your Ram?
Thanks
We use a Roadmaster Brakemaster the system gives us both braking and breakaway braking. If I had it to do again [we moved these from the srx] I would use one of the invisible systems like the Roadmaster invisibrake or the Air Force One product. On disfiguring the srx, we used a road masters base plate that had bayonet type connections for the tow bar. Once removed (5 min) the only visible indicator was 2 holes near fog lights
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
We have a 2015 DutchStar 4018 diesel ordered. My wife does not want me to setup my 2014 GMC 1500 crew cab as a toad. She thinks it is too long too big to tow. She want to buy something little. I don't want another vehicle to insure and license for just a toad.
So I said I would ask the folks on this forum. What are the pros and cons of towing such a large truck?
Thanks
I tow a Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab long bed 4X4 Duramax diesel, so far no issues. I am at 64'9", and the max legal length is 65'. I have yet to find a spot I could not drive through, but you have think ahead, and Google Maps satellite view is always good for a quick look if you are not sure. I see 1500's and full size SUV's all the time, so you will not be alone.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

We tow a 14 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 and have never had any problems getting into trouble. We are 63' long for both. But as indicated in a previous post. You have to look ahead of where you are going to go. We use a truckers Atlas along with a GPS set up for RV's. We also went with a Brake Buddy Stealth brake system. Very much like the invisabrake unit. But it also offers that if you are going to pull a trailer instead of the toad. You just move a switch on the unit inside the motorhome and it then changes to a braking unit. It was a little more expensive than the invisabrake. But it offers that option if your going to do either a toad or a trailer and is also a hidden unit like the invisabrake.
Bob & Sandy
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a Ram 1500. Use the ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system. We love it. For me, it's easier to hook up the truck and throw the bikes in the back than it is to try to fit them on that cursed bike rack.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck - I'm not sure any of this will affect your wife's opinion. It doesn't sound like it's a technical question at all!

In any case, your Dutch Star is rated to tow at least 10,000 lbs. Check your specs (GCWR, hitch rating, etc.), but it will be at least 10k, so no weight issues. As for length, you may need special permits or licensing in some states if the combined rih exceeds 65 feet. A 40 foot coach and (approximately) 21 foot truck should come in just shy of that, even after adding in the tow bar length.

As for the truck itself, the 4WD models are flat-towable but the 2WD (rear drive) models are not and require a lube pump or drive shaft disconnect to tow. If you have a 2WD Silverado, that may change your mind about towing it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, tow