Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2014 Honda CR-V baseplate question

So we made a deal on a new 2014 Honda CR-V yesterday, picking it up tomorrow. (Trading in our well-used 2008 Jeep Liberty, which served as both toad and daily driver for 6 years.) We will use our existing Blue Ox Aventa towbar, so looking to have a baseplate installed on the CR-V ASAP.

My concern is this -- I just downloaded the Blue Ox installation instructions for the CR-V baseplate, and what caught my eye was that "the bumper is removed and not reinstalled." Apparently, the baseplate replaces the bumper? (I guess unlike "bumpers" of old, today the term seems to only refer to the metal framing behind the flexible plastic shroud that we see on the front of the vehicle.)

With all the emphasis on vehicle crash ratings, etc., the idea of throwing away a perfectly good bumper worries me a bit. Can anyone shed any light on this, and/or relieve my anxiety?

Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My Terrain required the same thing. However, the "bumper" is more than just framing around the plastic. Ours was a large steel 1/4" (I think) piece of boxed iron that went across the front of the frame.

Our Roadmaster baseplate was almost identical in size/shape/thickness....so I didn't feel too concerned removing and replacing.

I would assume that the Blue Ox base plate for your CRV is similarly designed.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
So we made a deal on a new 2014 Honda CR-V yesterday, picking it up tomorrow. (Trading in our well-used 2008 Jeep Liberty, which served as both toad and daily driver for 6 years.) We will use our existing Blue Ox Aventa towbar, so looking to have a baseplate installed on the CR-V ASAP.

My concern is this -- I just downloaded the Blue Ox installation instructions for the CR-V baseplate, and what caught my eye was that "the bumper is removed and not reinstalled." Apparently, the baseplate replaces the bumper? (I guess unlike "bumpers" of old, today the term seems to only refer to the metal framing behind the flexible plastic shroud that we see on the front of the vehicle.)

With all the emphasis on vehicle crash ratings, etc., the idea of throwing away a perfectly good bumper worries me a bit. Can anyone shed any light on this, and/or relieve my anxiety?
As part of my purchase agreement, I had the Honda Dealer install the Baseplate/Lighting. I did not want to have issues down the road with respect to Warranty. The Dealer sent the car to a local Hitch Shop for the total installation.
When I picked up the CRV, they gave me the "Bumper" that was removed. The Baseplate takes the place of the Bumper. "Honda Approved" you might say.
Hope that helps to ease your concern.
P/S, I paid $1050 for the baseplate, taillight wiring, breakaway switch and charge line to the Motorhome. All I had to do was hook up and drive away.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

On my 2006 the baseplate is more substantial than the thin piece of metal that came on it as a bumper.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just had the baseplate put on our 2012 CRV.
We have a Demco tow bar and were given a choice
of either Demco or Blue Ox baseplate.
We went with the Demco as our Saturn also has this.

We have the original bumper, etc.
Baseplates, wiring, hot line to battery, labor, total was $930
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

Yes I believe your right I am getting ready to install the blue ox base plate on my 2013
CR-V. I ordered the base plate but have not received it yet. I also looked at the install manual and it says the metal backup bar will not be reinstalled.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
CRV

I have another side. Our 2007 CRV just had AC compressor a dryer replaced. Then had the Blue Ox base plate installed by someone else. The AC was not getting as cold as we thought it should an took it back to the dealer that installed it. The installing mechanic said the base plate was not allowing the AC to work correctly an there was nothing wrong with the AC. I think the machine is incorrect about the base plate. Will be going to another dealership.

wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote