Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

2014 Jeep Cherokee

Do any of you jeep/towing gurus know if the 2014 Cherokee automatic will be towable 4 down? I'm not mechanically savvy enough to know how to tell from the brochure. Thanks
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Motorhome magazine has a listing of vehicles that are towable. Look under Resources and it will give you a list.. Hope this helps
Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
From the Jeep website on the 2014 Cherokee:
"Active Drive II 4x4 system with low-range is great for rock crawling and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV."
Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Thanks somuch!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

I ordered my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited with Active Drive II today. Just got fed up reading the problems others were having with their escapes and I'd travel with my fingers crossed hoping our transmission wouldn't be next.

Hope to get it some time in Sept. They have really loaded it up with great tech options and we took all of them except for the extra speakers and a CD player. Looking forward to it. It will be DW's car.

Another good feature is that when operating in 2WD the rear axle is disconnected to eliminate drive line drag and that should improve fuel economy.

We also ordered the tow package since we can visualize switching to a small TT in a few years. It includes a transmission cooler, better engine cooling, Class III receiver, 7 and 4 connection wiring and a beefier alternator. It will be able to tow 4,500 lbs.

Don
Old 08-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
After a TJ and now a '12 JK, I've just bought a '14 GC Limited. After some needed research, the GC must have the Auadra -Trac -II or the Quadra-Drive II for clat towing. The other option is their basic 4w drive, the Quadra Trac I that does not have a neutral lock out. It will not flat tow. The towing procedure for the GC is easier than the JK. No steering wheel
Lock-no key. GC has a keyless FOB. There is also the 12v--direct to battery- plug in the between seat console for your brake actuator. I have read that you must disconnect the battery but that's not true. The only drain on your battery is your braking system and I never
had a problem with my JK even after four days of towing.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
That's Quadra Trac II. It's late! The tow capacity is 6200 lbs.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2014 Cherokee

I have also been doing some reading on the Jeep Cherokee VS the Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is too heavy to tow behind our '99 Damon Daybreak "gasser"- but the Cherokee will make the weight cutoff.

I have been paying attention and it looks like the Cherokee have finally been shipped to the local dealerships. I have asked a few salespeople to let me know when one comes in.

Has anyone else out there seen or driven one?
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

My dealer just called and said my Cherokee Trailhawk has arrived. Picking it up tomorrow. Now the long wait for tow brackets to be available...
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
My dealer just called and said my Cherokee Trailhawk has arrived. Picking it up tomorrow. Now the long wait for tow brackets to be available...
If you've got the time to drive to Pender, NE, Blue OX will usually do a free install if yours is the first of that model they've had to work on. Takes a few days while they design the bracket. Worth calling them to see if they already have a Trailhawk lined up.

joe
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If you've got the time to drive to Pender, NE, Blue OX will usually do a free install if yours is the first of that model they've had to work on. Takes a few days while they design the bracket. Worth calling them to see if they already have a Trailhawk lined up.

joe
I thought we had that one with Blue OX in the bag as we ordered our Cherokee Limited on Aug 1. You also get a free tow bar and they will do the lights (if you want them - we use mag lights now) for a 25% discount. Our Cherokee is not in D1 meaning that it is scheduled for production with a shipping date of Nov 9 but we will be in FLA when it is delivered (my son will take delivery and turn in our Escape).

I've seen a couple in the flesh now and today turned down an offer to drive a FWD V6 because it was pouring. Our Limited will have virtually options except for the cd player and extra speakers.

Finally got clarification of a significant item in their brochure, which recently hit the dealers' shelves. The Latitude (North in Canada) has Active Drive II (that has the N in the transfer case) as an option as it is in the Limited. We did not want a Trail Hawk (DW's car) but I had trouble determining whether the TH with the Active Drive Lock feature could be flat towed. If I were buying a TH I'd have flat towing written right into the contract (I have not seen the manual yet and hopefully it is clarified there).

I think Jeep has a real winner here. Marchionne decided to hold all of the units built until they got the programming right for the 9 speed, rather than have owners have to go to their dealers later. The end result was over a half billion dollars of inventory stored all around Toledo. If you get on the Jeep Garage forum you can learn a lot about what has been going on since a lot of factory people and dealers participate. If no serious problems crop up it is going to be a sought after vehicle for towing. I would have considered a Grand Cherokee but this is DW's car and she refused to have anything that size - also with the model I'd want we'd probably go over the 5k weight limit.

Our build will not have to be reprogrammed and they expect it will we shipped promptly. If Blue Ox hasn't had a taker for its offer, we might consider going to Pender in January on the way back to Florida - but given the weather at that time of the year I expect we'll go straight back to FLA.

Our Escape was a very nice vehicle - except for the towing issue. Our transmission went but you travelled with your fingers crossed at all times. We had a SanGauge in it on several occasions and when towing in warm weather the fluid temperature reached 220 degrees. When driving, it was a chore to get to even 180 degrees. In a deal with Remco Ford took over the lube pump offering and the price sky-rocketed. Our dealer quoted us a discounted price of $4600 to supply and install a lube pump. We almost traded for an Edge - in fact we were within 2 minutes of signing on the dotted line when I decided that Ford did not deserve get our business this time around. Unfortunately vehicles with transfer cases are becoming increasingly scarce - especially if you want to keep a cushion under the 5000 lb weight limit. We had a couple of DPs and towed a Tahoe. It was great. No periodic starting and running and all the rest of that stuff you are supposed to do with a AWD unit without a N in the transfer case. I'll be glad to get back to a transfer case.

The other aspect that was important was the towing capacity. DW thinks that in the next year or two we should downsize again. The Cherokee outfitted with the towing package can tow 4500 lbs. When selecting a small trailer that is a big advantage over 3500 lbs.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #12

I went back and forth with the dealer for several days on the four down towing for the Trailhawk. He called the factory and made sure I would be able to do it.

I took it for a quick spin yesterday when I brought over the paperwork. Very smooth ride, although the brakes, being brand new, are very sensitive.

I called and spoke to Blue Ox before I ordered the Trailhawk. They offered me the same deal. Drive it out and be the test subject and get it for free. But a drive out west did not fit our schedule right now. So now I am waiting for someone else to get out there and get the baseplates designed.

The Trailhawk has the front tow hooks, so I am wondering if the design will somehow involve removing those hooks. Might be the easiest way to get it done.
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
The Trailhawk has the front tow hooks, so I am wondering if the design will somehow involve removing those hooks. Might be the easiest way to get it done.
That is how it worked on our Tahoe. We took out the tow hooks, drilled another hole since the baseplates had two bolts and that was it - except for one thing. GM made a slight change after BO designed the plates and although BO said no cutting was required, that was not the case. Nice thing about the Tahoe is that the frame channels are so strong no cross support was required. I'm sure that will not be the case with the Cherokee. I have also been wondering if the baseplates will fit in the same place as the tow hooks. The Limited and TH should be pretty similar behind the grill. I sure hope that is the case.

Keep us posted please. We won't see ours until mid-December and I doubt if we will drive out to Pender even if no one else has by that time. If their instructions look at all complex we may go out there and have BO install them next spring. We feel we'd like to see the area so it won't be a totally unnecessary trip. We have great ability to con ourselves.

Don
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I am expecting delivery of my new 2014 Cherokee Limited any day now. I have a Thor Palazzo 33.2 Motor Home and I wonder if anybody with a Palazzo or similar unit has experience in terms of towing packages. I have already bought mud flaps not to ruin the front of the Jeep, but I do not know much about different companies which offer packages to tow a car behind a motor home. Can anybody help?
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote