Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #29

bulb install

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Not sure why you guys would go all the way back to the taillight to do a bulb install when all you need to do is access the wiring harness under the hood. It's called a diode install.
I opted for this as I read too many horror stories about moisture getting into the tail lights and others about light bulbs falling out of the newly drilled mounting holes.
Not saying my way is right, just saying there is an alternative.
I had the dealership I bought my truck from do it so I wouldn't void any warranty.
We are having the blue ox base plates installed at Hitch and Weld in Naples, Fl. He is doing the diode install on our jeep. Seems like the way to go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Curtwpk

You are a bit early with you question as the makers of the base plates are not shipping yet. If you go to the Demco site and look at the install brochure you can see where they installed mine at the factory on my Limited, mine is the black car
Demco base plate for Trailhawk is done and in production.

Their design loses the red tow hooks, I inquired for a friend of mine.

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #31

Just got the Blue Ox Base Plates installed on my 2014 Cherokee Limited today. Can't wait to try the first tow. Probably a shot one sometime next week. We really like the Cherokee!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #32

wiring harness

Found this Grand Cherokee wiring harness.

TrailerMate Tow Bar Wiring for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 - TM781118

(Scroll down to description, no picture available.)

They claim the harness just plugs in, no cutting etc. Anyone have any experience with this? Or with the company in general? Do they provide quality parts?

Plugging in instead of cutting wires sounds good. Maybe too good to be true?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello everyone,

We picked up our 2014 Cherokee today. Put on about 80 miles breaking it in. Wow, Leslie and I just love this vehicle. It exceeded all of expectations for drivability and comfort. The trunk is a bit on the small side but we will make it work.

We have the limited, cashmere, with 6 cyl, AD2, luxury group, tow package, sun roof.

We have a Roadmaster sterling tow bar and waiting until April to take our coach out of storage to set up the baseplate and break. We are thinking of the SMI air force one.

I can't wait for tomorrow to drive it more.

Stuart
Did you install the Roadmaster baseplate (towbar bracket) or another?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Not sure why you guys would go all the way back to the taillight to do a bulb install when all you need to do is access the wiring harness under the hood. It's called a diode install.
I opted for this as I read too many horror stories about moisture getting into the tail lights and others about light bulbs falling out of the newly drilled mounting holes.
Not saying my way is right, just saying there is an alternative.
I had the dealership I bought my truck from do it so I wouldn't void any warranty.
Agreed, I've always used diodes on my toads and am reluctant to tear into a taillight housing (otherwise waterproof).
Do you have a wiring diagram showing wires/locations where you did the diode install?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick and everyone else,

I had the roadmaster bracket installed by Camping World as well as the SMI Air Force One brake system. I am using the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar.

Since installation, May 2014, I have put on over 5,000 towed miles without a problem. Everything is working as anticipated. The Roadmaster setup is a bit bulky compared to other brands however it is rock solid and built very rugged. It gives me 100% confidence.

Stuart
Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hi Rick and everyone else,

I had the roadmaster bracket installed by Camping World as well as the SMI Air Force One brake system. I am using the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar.

Since installation, May 2014, I have put on over 5,000 towed miles without a problem. Everything is working as anticipated. The Roadmaster setup is a bit bulky compared to other brands however it is rock solid and built very rugged. It gives me 100% confidence.

Stuart
Thanks. I see that Roadmaster has two styles for the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee: the EZ-4 and the EZ-5. Which do you have?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick,

I have the EZ-4. When I purchased my brackets, in May, they only made the EZ-4. It would have been nice to have a choice of either. All in all I am happy with what I have as I also bought the Roadmaster tow-defender and Roadmaster Guardian. The EZ-5 does not allow the use of either of these.

I also bought the Roadmaster Stow-away that holds the cross bar and the guardian on the back of the motorhome. This way there is very little to put away and everything fits nice and neat on the back of the motorhome.

I may have gone overboard with all of these accessories but the Jeep is staying in great condition.

So far so good. We are putting a lot of mileage on it so we are giving it a good test.

Stuart