Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

2014 Jeep Cherokee

We purchased a 2014 jeep Cherokee limited. Jeep advertising lists this vehicle with active 2 to be towable. After contacting Roadmaster in December they advised brackets would be available mid January. Brackets are available but not for adaptive cruise control which we have. The Trail Hawk with ACC has brackets. No solution from jeep. Considering legal action. Anyone else encountered this? Will contact FMCA Monday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Why would you think that Jeep would be liable for Roadmaster not making a compatible bracket? Sounds like Roadmaster misled you.

Have you talked to Blue Ox or any other manufacturer to see if they make a baseplate that would work?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Have talked to blue ox and they do not make a brackets for it either. The problem is the ACC is mounted where the tow bracket is mounted. How can you tow if brackets can not be made to make it towable. Jeep does not have plans to make the brackets. Without ACC the brackets are available.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep doesn't make tow brackets for any vehicles, that was never going to be an option. Jeep just says that the vehicle CAN be towed, not what you need to do to make it so. They're specifically talking about the transmission and drivetrain.

Really sounds like a lack of communication between you and Roadmaster on which models or which options would work with their brackets. Have they specifically said they can't do brackets for models with ACC? Or that they just don't have them right now. Same with Blue Ox.

I suppose it's possible that the ACC is mounted such that totally blocks any access to the frame for mounting brackets/baseplate, but it does seem unlikely. More likely that the bracket/baseplate designed for non-ACC units just doesn't work and they're not sure if it's worth developing one for this subset of Cherokee owners.

Might be worth taking to a custom hitch shop that does baseplate setups to see if they might be able to do some custom brackets. I know a good one in Austin, but you might need to switch to a Blue Ox towbar as that's what they deal with.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #5

Roadmaster has said they can't make the brackets with ACC. it does mount to the same location as the ACC IS mounted. It is the physical location of the ACC that is the problem. The trail hawk comes with tow hooks so the had to move the ACC to a different location. Blue ox does not make a bracket yet for this vehicle. Will contact them but due to the mounting location it is my thinking brackets will not be available.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the ACC on my Cherokee Limited, the DEMCO base plate works fine and we have already towed with it. I was in the Denco fit program and their enginnerrs made and fit the first one on my car that they now sell to others. Link to Demco the black car in the PDF file is mine

You will see that the base plate goes outside of the ACC

Baseplate Fit List | Demco Products
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
I have the ACC on my Cherokee Limited, the DEMCO base plate works fine and we have already towed with it. I was in the Denco fit program and their enginnerrs made and fit the first one on my car that they now sell to others. Link to Demco the black car in the PDF file is mine

You will see that the base plate goes outside of the ACC

Baseplate Fit List | Demco Products
@wvgorby - this is the individual I tried to tell you about in your post on another forum. It really is best not to jump to conclusions until you have all the facts.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #8

Thanks I was going to contact Demo directly today. I had talked directly with Roadmaster and Blue ox. You have saved us much time and stress.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Demco product# for the baseplates to fit 2014 Cherokee with adaptive cruise control is 9518307. Will be available mid February.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
First long tow yesterday, over 200 miles only problem 12 V in dash did not have power for Break Buddy but the one in the center console had power ?
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvgorby View Post
We purchased a 2014 jeep Cherokee limited. Jeep advertising lists this vehicle with active 2 to be towable. After contacting Roadmaster in December they advised brackets would be available mid January. Brackets are available but not for adaptive cruise control which we have. The Trail Hawk with ACC has brackets. No solution from jeep. Considering legal action. Anyone else encountered this? Will contact FMCA Monday.
Why not just take the tow bracket off when you're driving the Jeep? It only takes a few minutes and that ball has a good field of view. Seems like a no brainier to me!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Could be an option if the toaster brackets are able to mount. Will talk to Roadmaster on this. As posted earlier Demco will have brackets available soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
First long tow yesterday, over 200 miles only problem 12 V in dash did not have power for Break Buddy but the one in the center console had power ?
This is how the Wrangler's are setup also. I see it as a positive rather than a negative.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I just spoke with Blue Ox. By 1/31/14 they will officially have the following available:

Baseplate: Latitude & Limited - BX1135. Trailhawk - BX1136
Both will work with Adaptive Cruise Control.

Tail Light Wiring Kit: All models - BX8848 (available now). This is a diode kit as they found there wasn't enough space in the tail light assembly to install a separate bulb kit.