Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Anyone have any experience with new Jeep Cherokee as a tow vehicle? Will it track within outline of the RV without worrying about it on tight turns? Have Jeep Wrangler but considering the new Cherokee. Thx, Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine tows fine. I was previously towing a 2011 Wrangler with a Blue Ox base plate that had a distance between the tow pins of 24". The distance on the Cherokee is 34" with the Blue Ox so it would ride a little closer to the coach than the Wrangler.

However the pin height is greater than it was on the Wrangler, so that required me to use a 2" rise receiver. That in turn added more than enough length so I could even use a Karguard without it hitting the coach on tight turns.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

The cherokee is probably one of the best options for the newer crossover vehicles because it has a true driveline neutral option. You have to be careful with new vehicles flat towing because they have fully electronic controlled transmissions, and when you shut off the vehicle, the cars computer goes into bootdown mode and shifts the transmission to park even though you left the shifter in neutral. Ford for example is having problems with their new escape because of this. People blowing tranny's left and right, dragging them around in park by accident.

But the cherokee has a true neutral mode, it's a little dimple button you have to use a pen to depress. But make sure you get Jeep Active Drive II, and not jeep active Drive I which is a standard awd system like the rest of the competitor crossovers, and doesn't have neutral. You'll potentially blow the transmission because it'll boot down and shift into park when you shut the car off.

Quote:
JeeP ACTIVe DrIVe II.
A two-speed PTU offers torque management and 4-Low
mode. This locks the front and rear driveshafts to deliver
additional power at low speeds or for towing your toys.
A driveline neutral switch enables you to hitch Cherokee
to your rV and take it along for fun.
Additionally, off-road
adventurers will benefit from a one-inch increase in ride
height and an incredible crawl ratio of 56:1 when paired
with the 2.4L TigerShark MultiAir®2 I-4 engine and a ratio
of 48:1 when paired with the available 3.2L Pentastar® V6
engine. This allows Cherokee to perform amazing feats
of off-road prowess, climbing steep hills and crawling over
boulders with ease.
Here's the brochure where i read that: https://www.jeep.com/assets/pdf/cherokee.pdf

Here's jeep active Drive II:

Here's Jeep Active Drive I:
Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
thank you both. great info. Don
Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

I purchased a 2014 JGC, 4 X 2, 3.7 L to haul a Camplite trailer that I do not expect to load it up to the point that it will go over 5,000 lbs - should be closer to 4,500 lbs. Just hubby and me and 2 dogs and expect to travel light. Tow capacity = 6,500 according to the plate on driver's door.

I asked car dealer for advice on WDH and anti-sway bars. I talked to several different employees there, including 2 who use their JGCs as tow vehicles. They asked about what I would be towing, and if I had 2 axles on the trailer - yes. They said no WDH or sway control for my jeep. The 2014s have technology built into them with factory-installed tow package. They said that I could find a company to install an equalizer hitch, but then I would be defeating the technology built into the jeep, and wasn't that why I chose to buy a new jeep?

I am new to towing, and I would very much like to hear from the experienced folks here. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
I purchased a 2014 JGC, 4 X 2, 3.7 L to haul a Camplite trailer that I do not expect to load it up to the point that it will go over 5,000 lbs - should be closer to 4,500 lbs. Just hubby and me and 2 dogs and expect to travel light. Tow capacity = 6,500 according to the plate on driver's door.

I asked car dealer for advice on WDH and anti-sway bars. I talked to several different employees there, including 2 who use their JGCs as tow vehicles. They asked about what I would be towing, and if I had 2 axles on the trailer - yes. They said no WDH or sway control for my jeep. The 2014s have technology built into them with factory-installed tow package. They said that I could find a company to install an equalizer hitch, but then I would be defeating the technology built into the jeep, and wasn't that why I chose to buy a new jeep?

I am new to towing, and I would very much like to hear from the experienced folks here. Thanks.
I'm not trying to sound mean or nasty, but your post is really way off topic of this thread. This thread is about towing the new Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) four down.

You would really get a much better response to your questions about possibly towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee by creating a new topic.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #7

I was just thinking about this, but didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily. I did do a search about this, but nothing came up. I will start a new thread.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to you all I just towed new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk from Phx to San Diego. It traveled like a dream! Wife likes it so much better than the Wrangler we towed. More comfort for her getting in and out etc.plus the safety features she has wanted.
When I got the tow plate installed, I did find I had to raise my RV hitch point with a 4 inch riser that luckily I was able to find the day before we left. That leveled it out nicely as the Trailhawk sits an inch higher than the Limited. As Bob said, that just gives you about 10 more inches or so between RV and Tow so lets you turn sharper.
It is so easy to set up to tow with the neutral button. I just had to wrap my head around that there is no steering wheel lock so no need to turn key on like older Wrangler. Thanks to Bob I finally got it. Exactly what I love about these iRV2 forums!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deschrock View Post
Thanks to you all I just towed new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk from Phx to San Diego. It traveled like a dream! Wife likes it so much better than the Wrangler we towed. More comfort for her getting in and out etc.plus the safety features she has wanted.
When I got the tow plate installed, I did find I had to raise my RV hitch point with a 4 inch riser that luckily I was able to find the day before we left. That leveled it out nicely as the Trailhawk sits an inch higher than the Limited. As Bob said, that just gives you about 10 more inches or so between RV and Tow so lets you turn sharper.
It is so easy to set up to tow with the neutral button. I just had to wrap my head around that there is no steering wheel lock so no need to turn key on like older Wrangler. Thanks to Bob I finally got it. Exactly what I love about these iRV2 forums!!!