Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
Joe,

That's where I looked. Under 4x4 systems it says that all of the models except the Trail Hawk have a single speed power take off. I.e. not towable. Am I misreading that?

Dan
I have no idea what "single speed power take off" means in the comparison chart. But you can't go by what it shows for "standard equipment", because the required transmission is an option. Except on the Trailhawk, where it's standard.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Joe,

That's where I looked. Under 4x4 systems it says that all of the models except the Trail Hawk have a single speed power take off. I.e. not towable. Am I misreading that?

Dan
Dan,

Make your life easy http://www.jeep.com/download/pdf/man...oad-button.y=4 and go to page 534 and look at the chart for recreational towing. It will answer all your questions.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I have no idea what "single speed power take off" means in the comparison chart. But you can't go by what it shows for "standard equipment", because the required transmission is an option. Except on the Trailhawk, where it's standard.
Joe,

From my reading the required transmission is NOT an option on the other models, as indicated by the dashes.

My frustration is I think one of the other models might fit my needs better. I.e. I'd trade off some off-road capability for on-road handling. But it has to be towable.

Dan.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,

From my reading the required transmission is NOT an option on the other models, as indicated by the dashes.

My frustration is I think one of the other models might fit my needs better. I.e. I'd trade off some off-road capability for on-road handling. But it has to be towable.

Dan.
Stop looking at that line and look at the available transmission line. Active Drive II is available on the other models.

Go to: http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/mo...08&variation=1

Click on the Latitude or Limited models. Click on 4x4 at the top. The Active Drive II shows as available.

The default on that page is the Sport model, and it's not available for that one. We're looking at a Limited.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
And yes, that page is very confusing to get it to show the model you want.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
And yes, that page is very confusing to get it to show the model you want.
Flying Diver,

Definitely. I took their survey and gave them my thoughts about their website - extremely negative. Too much glitz and not enough clarity. Poorly designed.

FYI, I'm a software developer. I'm not an expert in website design, but I have designed a couple websites (see p.s. below) and many PC UIs. Just because you CAN add the latest cool, moving graphics and gimmicks does not mean you should. I try for simplicity and clarity. OK, /Rant = OFF.

After searching, I found this statement on the the 2014 Jeep Cherokee - Efficient All-Weather Capability SUV page: "The Jeep® Active Drive II 4x4 system with low-range is great for extra low-speed traction and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV."

Since that is a very important feature to RVers, it would have been much better if they had simply included a comment that it was available on the Latitude and Limited. It would have saved confusion.

This is very positive news! Obviously Marianne and I need to drive the Jeep and confirm all of this, but right now the Limited looks like our top choice too.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Best regards,

Dan.

p.s. Here is my beta weather website: BellevueWAWeather.com - Home. It's a work in progress and needs lots of enhancements. IMO, it's decent, but not perfect.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Heh. I do websites, OSX and iOS programming. Not many websites lately, except for hacking the HTML/CSS on our blog site so it handles photos better. And I maintain the website for our WoW Guild.

We'll be looking at Cherokees when we get to Austin for the winter. Bought our Liberty there end of '11, so we might trade it in this winter.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #22

The plot thickens...

Since the Limited looked like a nice option, I decided to build and price a limited. All was going well until I got to the "9-Speed Automatic Transmission With Jeep Active Drive II". So I click that option (for $995) and the message pops up and says that the "Normal Duty Suspension" will be removed. So I click "Yes".

Here's the issue - it appears that the Jeep Active Drive II only comes with the "Off-Road Suspension". Which is one inch higher than the standard. Which means that on-road ride and handling will be reduced, and step-in height is increased.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but it appears that the only way a Cherokee can be towed is with the off-road suspension. That might be acceptable for me, but I'd prefer the standard suspension. Frankly, I don't see any connection between towing a Cherokee and off-roading.

In any case... With options, the Limited is $40,410. A similarly equipped TrailHawk is $39,900. But it looks like the Trail Hawk does not have some of the features of the Limited like the Luxury Group. OTOH, it does have the Off Road Group - which is not defined for the Cherokee. (Presumably it's the skid plates and such.) Sigh...

Maybe a Limited would work and then add aftermarket skid plates if they are available.

Dan.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but it appears that the only way a Cherokee can be towed is with the off-road suspension. That might be acceptable for me, but I'd prefer the standard suspension. Frankly, I don't see any connection between towing a Cherokee and off-roading.
It's not the connection with towing, it's that they only engineered that particular transmission to work with that particular suspension package. Maybe that transmission (with the extra transfer box and differentials) requires more clearance under the frame that they get with the optional suspension. The effect on towing is incidental, I think.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #24

Quote:
It's not the connection with towing, it's that they only engineered that particular transmission to work with that particular suspension package. Maybe that transmission (with the extra transfer box and differentials) requires more clearance under the frame that they get with the optional suspension. The effect on towing is incidental, I think.
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I was hoping for the "silver bullet". Oh, well.

I agree about the effect on Towing, however I didn't explain a full version of my needs. We'll be buying an RV in the coming months and need a Toad. And my Audi lease will expire in a few months and I will need a daily driver. So I'm left with two Toad options:

1) Get an older Jeep to keep at my daughter's farm where we will store the RV and get a "daily driver" (my Audi or something else), OR

2) Get a decent Jeep that I can drive around daily and have it serve as a good Toad.

To me, option 2 seems better, simpler, more flexible, and probably less expensive overall. That's why I'm trying for the balance of daily driver + 4 down Toad.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you're really going to know until you can test drive one with the off-road suspension. Since our toad is our only car, it has to do double duty as well. We don't do much daily driving (like under 6,000 miles in last 20 months...), but we do need one that's comfortable for a couple hundred miles at a time when we need to go somewhere without the RV. And it has to have enough cargo space for luggage for 3 week trips including full dive gear. Our Liberty does it, but it almost fills up the back with the seats down. I think the Cherokee is about the same size.

One reason I'm looking to switch is that I find the power seats on the Liberty really annoying. As in, forward/back and seat back angle is not power and not saved in memory. Power liftgate would also be nice, and Sue is really interested in the parking assist features. And I'd move up to the V6 since the 4 cyl we have is a bit anemic.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Rapidman View Post
Is this only news for the Cherokee? I haven't towed my 2011 Wrangler yet, but I see so many on the road, I just assumed it was towable.

And is flat towing better than using a dolly? What is preferred by most?

Thanks.
Tow our 2011 Jeep with auto trans. Ready Brute Elite with a Blue Ox baseplate.
Wouldn't even know it's back there without the rear camera.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Tow our 2011 Jeep with auto trans. Ready Brute Elite with a Blue Ox baseplate.
Wouldn't even know it's back there without the rear camera.
Our '10 Wrangler Unlimited was the same. Nice toad.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't think you're really going to know until you can test drive one with the off-road suspension. Since our toad is our only car, it has to do double duty as well. We don't do much daily driving (like under 6,000 miles in last 20 months...), but we do need one that's comfortable for a couple hundred miles at a time when we need to go somewhere without the RV. And it has to have enough cargo space for luggage for 3 week trips including full dive gear. Our Liberty does it, but it almost fills up the back with the seats down. I think the Cherokee is about the same size.

One reason I'm looking to switch is that I find the power seats on the Liberty really annoying. As in, forward/back and seat back angle is not power and not saved in memory. Power liftgate would also be nice, and Sue is really interested in the parking assist features. And I'd move up to the V6 since the 4 cyl we have is a bit anemic.
FD,

You just touched on several of my hot points. Regarding the seating, being short and having a bad back, most car seats and steering don't fit me. When at the Jeep dealer yesterday, I jumped (literally) into an Grand Cherokee SRT. The SRT's seat had a 4-way power lumbar. It was wonderful. And the steering wheel was power tilt and telescope. Very nice. Took only a few seconds to get a comfortable fit. Very unusual for me. The Cherokee has those features too according to the website.

Dan.