Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #155

Drove the 2015 Trail Hawk today. Incredible! Now just need to get a coach!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 AM   #156

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
And remote start!

SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #157

Some owners of the Cherokee Latitude have experienced severe problems when using as a toad. (see rv.net and FMCA forums.
The Jeep will sway repeatedly, rocking the MH back and forth. The only fix is to bring the coach to a complete stop.
FIAT/CHRYSLER Jeep and dealer service departments have not been able to remedy this problem
It happens with different coaches, front gas, diesel pusher, different tow bar brands, different braking systems. The only constant is the Jeep 2014-15 Cherokee.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #158

2014 Jeep Cherokee flat towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post
Some owners of the Cherokee Latitude have experienced severe problems when using as a toad. (see rv.net and FMCA forums.
The Jeep will sway repeatedly, rocking the MH back and forth. The only fix is to bring the coach to a complete stop.
FIAT/CHRYSLER Jeep and dealer service departments have not been able to remedy this problem
It happens with different coaches, front gas, diesel pusher, different tow bar brands, different braking systems. The only constant is the Jeep 2014-15 Cherokee.

Hmmm... Interesting.

All I can say is we have never had that problem. Ours is a Limited model (not that that would make any difference) and it is towed by our diesel pusher using a Demco Commander tow bar and is fitted with a Demco Base Plate.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #159

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We have not experieinced this, either. Almost sounds like a base-plate or towbar problem. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #160

2014 jeep Cherokee flat towing

Am 1000 miles out on our first trip and have not experienced this problem. Am using a roadmaster sterling setup.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #161

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep

We have not had any problems towing our 2015 Cherokee latitude with Blue Ox base plate and tow bar.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #162
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk and I have experienced the swaying or rocking several times. I'm using a very well used Roadmaster tow bar and it has enough slop in the joints to allow the hitch coupler to move about an inch back and forth. That, combined with the play in the ball mount seems to aggravate any tendency for the Jeep to rock back and forth. The condition seems to occur when I turn right exiting a parking lot and start accelerating before the Jeep is completely straight behind the MH. It stops as soon as I brake to a complete stop and doesn't recur in normal driving conditions. I blame the loosness in my towing equipment not the Jeep. Otherwise the Jeep tows perfectly and I am really pleased with my Jeep purchase.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #163

Gulf Streamers Club
This kind of report is full of rumor and lack of facts. Usually most tracking problems can be corrected with a proper alignment. I wouldn't condemn a whole line of automobiles from these reports.

"My sister told me her friend's brother had a similar problem."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #164

IMPORTANT NEWS

A friend of mine has just sent me this information from the FMCA concerning the tow wobble issue which I have experienced once.

FMCANationalOffice's PhotoFMCANationalOffice
Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Fiat Chrysler today (January 20, 2016) released the following information exclusively to Family Motor Coaching magazine.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) has announced plans for resolving a problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-16 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down behind a motorhome.

FCA released a statement in response to inquiries by Family Motor Coaching magazine and concerns of a number of Jeep owners who reported problems when flat towing their Cherokees. The owners reported that the vehicle sometimes wobbles significantly, raising safety concerns. The wobble reportedly has occurred at slow speeds and at highway speeds, and has happened with a variety of motorhomes and towing systems. The only way to stop the wobble, owners have said, is to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

The FCA statement said: “Under certain operating conditions, such as traveling excessively bumpy or poorly maintained roads, the flat-towed vehicle may not consistently track in line with the tow vehicle.” The cause, according to the statement: “The vehicle’s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the ‘off’ position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the system’s function.”

A Jeep official said the company knows of several dozen Cherokee owners who have experienced the problem. For those owners, FCA will “provide a complimentary jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle’s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed. These components have been engineered and validated by FCA US LLC and will be made available to all customers through MOPAR, as early as January 29. In addition, all Cherokee owners will be contacted directly by FCA US and provided with updated instructions for flat-towing. These instructions supersede all previous instructions. Also, the vehicle’s online owners manual will be updated.”

Family Motor Coaching brought the problem to the attention of Fiat Chrysler in September 2015 after an FMCA member contacted the magazine and provided a link to a video showing a Cherokee wobbling as it was being towed behind a motorhome. FCA assigned engineers and technicians to investigate and resolve the problem.

For more information, Cherokee owners can call the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at (877) 426-5337.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #165

Oh Boy! Glad I don't have a new Cherokee!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #166

For my Jepp Grand Cherokee Summit with drive II, I use the following steps and they work for me:

• Start Engine (w/ foot on brake)
  • Apply parking brake
  • Shift transmission into NEUTRAL position
  • Ensure Quadra-Lift Air Suspension is set to Normal Ride Height (not Entry/Exit level).
  • With foot on brake pedal, press and hold the transfer case (N) button for 4 seconds (light behind N symbol will blink red indicating shift in progress. Light will stay on solid when shift into neutral is complete. Neutral will be displayed on EVIC)
  • Release (N) - Neutral button
  • Shift transmission into REVERSE
  • Release parking brake and brake pedal to ensure no movement
  • Firmly apply parking brake
  • Shift transmission back into NEUTRAL
  • Press A/C recirculate button
  • With both transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP button until engine stops.
  • Without placing foot on brake pedal, press ENGINE START/STOP button again 2 times to turn ignition switch to OFF position. (Must do this 2 times as 1st goes to ACC mode, 2nd turns ignition to OFF). Steering column and seat will adjust for exiting car.
  • Attach tow bar
  • Release parking brake!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #167

Just left my Jeep dealership regarding this issue. I have my Roadmaster brackets ready to install now. Two different people that we called including Jeep customer assistance advised NOT to flat tow this vehicle until the issue is advised. It was suggested I put it on a trailer.

This is a little disheartening since we bought this vehicle specifically to flat tow! Glad I haven't sold my other tow vehicle yet (99 Cherokee getting a little tired...) This is on our 2014 Trailhawk.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPP17 View Post
Just left my Jeep dealership regarding this issue. I have my Roadmaster brackets ready to install now. Two different people that we called including Jeep customer assistance advised NOT to flat tow this vehicle until the issue is advised. It was suggested I put it on a trailer.

This is a little disheartening since we bought this vehicle specifically to flat tow! Glad I haven't sold my other tow vehicle yet (99 Cherokee getting a little tired...) This is on our 2014 Trailhawk.
I, too, bought the 2014 Cherokee for the specific purpose of flat towing it behind the motor home.
You're lucky. I was 1200 miles from home when a Service Advisor informed me that if it were his vehicle, he wouldn't tow it.
My wife had to drive the Cherokee home separately. She was not a happy camper!
We have had hundreds of thousands of trouble-free miles with a previous Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Liberty. Fiat blew it with the design of this crossover. I have a whole list of other problems that I've documented over the last year and a half. Since the dealers don't experience them in the shop it's as if they don't exist.

Tags
towing