Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #211

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you have a 6 or 7 pin umbilical cord, you probably have an unused 12 v (+) pin. Run a wire from a 12 v (+) on the RV, add in an auto reset 15 amp circuit breaker, then connect to an unused pin on the RV socket. On the toad, run a wire from the same pin in the toad's socket to the (+) post of the battery. You should include a second 15 amp auto reset circuit breaker to that line. You should also check that the ground pin in both sockets is connected to each vehicle ground. If the toad's ground isn't tied in, the circuit won't be complete. (If your toad towing lights are independent, there might not be a path to ground, for instance)

Now, when the RV 12v (+) wire is hot, it will pass electricity through to the battery. If you choose an ignition switched source, the charging will only happen when the ignition is on.
The pin on the coach is already fused.
Put the fuse or CB right on the PDC power lug.

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #212

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you have a 6 or 7 pin umbilical cord, you probably have an unused 12 v (+) pin. Run a wire from a 12 v (+) on the RV, add in an auto reset 15 amp circuit breaker, then connect to an unused pin on the RV socket. On the toad, run a wire from the same pin in the toad's socket to the (+) post of the battery. You should include a second 15 amp auto reset circuit breaker to that line. You should also check that the ground pin in both sockets is connected to each vehicle ground. If the toad's ground isn't tied in, the circuit won't be complete. (If your toad towing lights are independent, there might not be a path to ground, for instance)

Now, when the RV 12v (+) wire is hot, it will pass electricity through to the battery. If you choose an ignition switched source, the charging will only happen when the ignition is on.
The pin on the coach is already fused.
Put the fuse or CB right on the PDC power lug.

Dan

Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #213

2014 Jeep Cherokee flat towing

I wasn't sure whether Steve was directing his question to me or Dan. First, if you have Air Force 1, that does draw current.
Second, I would agree you would need the 12v umbilical from the RV ( at the 7pin that usually is RV ignition switched). However, I would strongly suggest you fit a toad charger rather than connecting the feed direct to your battery. The one I have from RVi brake is small and relatively inexpensive. It carries its own fuse and is also fitted with a diode to prevent back feed to the RV. Mine came from RVUpgrade.com but I expect Amazon would carry them.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #214

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
I wasn't sure whether Steve was directing his question to me or Dan. First, if you have Air Force 1, that does draw current.
Second, I would agree you would need the 12v umbilical from the RV ( at the 7pin that usually is RV ignition switched). However, I would strongly suggest you fit a toad charger rather than connecting the feed direct to your battery. The one I have from RVi is small and relatively inexpensive. It carries its own fuse and is also fitted with a diode to prevent back feed to the RV. Mine came from RVUpgrade.com but I expect Amazon would carry them.
What's going to 'back feed'? Two charged 12 v batteries can be hooked up in parallel with no problem. The RV alternator will create a charging current which will flow into the toad battery. When the RV is turned off, the charging stops. The RV won't overcharge the toad battery, it will be no more charged than the RV's chassis batteries are.

Before you'd start or use the toad, you'd disconnect it from the umbilical. I've towed my toad from coast to coast and never had an overcharging or back feed issue or any evidence of this. The need for a 'toad charger' is created by the manufacturer, it's not a box you need to install to charge the battery in the toad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #215

Well, one reason perhaps. When you're cold cranking that big coach engine using a less than perfect battery, do you want your toad battery to come to play? Mind you, that would probably blow the umbilical.

Hey, opinions - everyone has them.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #216

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Well, one reason perhaps. When you're cold cranking that big coach engine using a less than perfect battery, do you want your toad battery to come to play? Mind you, that would probably blow the umbilical.

No more than 15 amps, then the circuit breakers trip and the toad battery is isolated. That's why the 15 amp auto reset CB's.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #217

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No more than 15 amps, then the circuit breakers trip and the toad battery is isolated. That's why the 15 amp auto reset CB's.
That is a very interesting theory....never thought of that aspect.
I will say that on my Freightliner chassis, the 12v charge line is through a relay.
So it is only active when the key is on. This means when parked, the RV can't drain the toad.

Also, the AF1 DOES NOT draw any current until the Break Away switch is activated. And the current it needs comes from the TOAD since it is now loose from the RV.

As far is popping the circuit breaker while starting with a low battery, what really is happening, is that the 12V source in the toad is now trying to pull up a 10v (approx)source. This assumes that the starter is drawing the chassis battery down. So we have a 2v or 3v differential across some 12ga wire.
Since the wire will have some resistance, there will be some current limiting.
Too many variables to say it is a real problem....but interesting theory.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #218

Another snippet of information: The Jeep dealer in the city where we are staying for a while has recently told me that supplies of the flat tow kits won't be available until 6th June, by which time we will have left for home. So I called my local to home dealer to make arrangements to take us in after our return. (I sent them a copy of the TSB to apprise them of our requirement.) I learnt from them yesterday that the kit part number is no longer valid as FCA has redesigned the fix. So, let's wait and see. Maybe they will be putting the switch and fuse together under the hood as I recently suggested!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #219

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Another snippet of information: The Jeep dealer in the city where we are staying for a while has recently told me that supplies of the flat tow kits won't be available until 6th June, by which time we will have left for home. So I called my local to home dealer to make arrangements to take us in after our return. (I sent them a copy of the TSB to apprise them of our requirement.) I learnt from them yesterday that the kit part number is no longer valid as FCA has redesigned the fix. So, let's wait and see. Maybe they will be putting the switch and fuse together under the hood as I recently suggested!
Wow, what a scramble.

They actually need to do two things to make this work.
1. Isolate the EPS system so it can be powered up by itself.
2. Connect 12v power to the isolated circuit.

Their first kit could have done all of it if they would have run more wires from the PDC back into the console. This would leave the switch inside the car (my preference).

Still hate the battety drain.....in you park overnight, and forget to turn off the switch, you get a dead battery in the morning.

Dan
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #220

Quote:

Re the Charge wire issue, a diode, rated at or above the rating of the fuse/circuit breaker/charge line, will prevent the possible back-feed I've been doing that on the past few toads.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #221

Quote:
June??? 2016??? Does anyone have, in writing, the availability date of the revised kit?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #222

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I have been considering a 2014 Cherokee Sport. Reading the earlier posts indicate that none of those are towable . Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I have been considering a 2014 Cherokee Sport. Reading the earlier posts indicate that none of those are towable . Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
Tom
Only Cherokees with the 2-speed Active Drive II 4WD system are towable 'four wheels down'. This is because that system has a neutral position. I do not recall if the 2014 Sport had that option. If you find a 2014 Cherokee Model which has AD-II it will need the "flat-tow wiring kit" installed. Threads in this forum explain the details.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #224

Thanks, Rick. The specs don't mention that feature, so it probably does not have it.

Thanks again. I probably won't bother to look at it.

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing