Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep it tows in park not neutral - hope you did not screw it up

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBirk View Post
I have the 2014 Cherokee and have towed it once from the Motorhome Dealer home. But could not figure out how to turn the ACC off with the Cherokee in neutral. Can anyone advice how I can turn it off without re-engaging the transmission. Would like to be able to stop and go without disconnecting.
As others have said the transmission needs to be in Park after you have put the transfer case in Neutral. Study the instructions in the manual very carefully. I printed a cheat sheet that I keep in the Jeep.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
As others have said the transmission needs to be in Park after you have put the transfer case in Neutral. Study the instructions in the manual very carefully. I printed a cheat sheet that I keep in the Jeep.
Precisely what I did and since it is just a little tricky as to the sequence so I make sure I take a minute and read it each time.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a towing checklist on my iPhone (notes app) that I go through each time I tow my Jeep. Mine is a little bit more difficult as I have to disconnect the rear driveshaft and unlock the front hubs or else things go bad in a hurry. Still plan on getting a Trailhawk once all the kinks are worked out.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Precisely what I did and since it is just a little tricky as to the sequence so I make sure I take a minute and read it each time.

Exactly. And each time I read and follow the sequence, I still get it wrong sometimes. Just to be on the safe side I now ask my DW to stay by the Jeep as I move forward to make sure none of the wheels are locked.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Same here, use a cheat sheet each time. I have over 3,000 miles on it and has been working great. Actually, you never really know how it works until you do a panic stop but I'm assuming it works great :-) So far no problems.

I do have my DW walk with the Cherokee for a few feet as I drive to make sure the tire are rolling. This assures me that the car is not in park and the transmission is set up right.

Stuart
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I have a towing checklist on my iPhone (notes app) that I go through each time I tow my Jeep. Mine is a little bit more difficult as I have to disconnect the rear driveshaft and unlock the front hubs or else things go bad in a hurry. Still plan on getting a Trailhawk once all the kinks are worked out.
No kinks that I have heard of and I have towed mine 5,100 miles
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Same here, use a cheat sheet each time. I have over 3,000 miles on it and has been working great. Actually, you never really know how it works until you do a panic stop but I'm assuming it works great :-) So far no problems.

I do have my DW walk with the Cherokee for a few feet as I drive to make sure the tire are rolling. This assures me that the car is not in park and the transmission is set up right.

Stuart
Yep we do too that darn light on the electric emergency brake goes out quick and it is easy to bump it and turn it on.

Does anybody else get a grinding sound when they put it in Park from Neutral
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #107

We towed the Cherokee almost 300 miles today (first trip) What a pleasure. Even hit 70 mph at one point - haven't done that since we towed a Tahoe with an DP/ISC. At a gas stop I checked the transmission temp on the info screen - just above the ambient temp.

Put TC into N and took it out on arrival with no problems. Very smooth.

Sure confirmed that my decision to dump the Escape was the right move. I had also decided that I would only consider toads that have a transfer case that has a NEUTRAL setting. I also feel that was an appropriate decision. No sitting and running the engine and running through the gears at the start and periodically throughout the day.

DW walked beside the tow bar for almost a block before the tow bar arms locked. In fact, one arm did not lock until we turned a corner. We had one experience about 8 years ago when one arm didn't lock and did not like the outcome after driving a few miles with the Colorado swinging from side to side.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #108

Gulf Streamers Club
I find that if I do a 'wig wag' with the RV, (swerve left and right) I can get the arms locked pretty quickly. Just don't do it in front of a cop or you'll be blowing in a breathalyzer! I try to do it in parking lot or wide spot with no traffic.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
rream - yes, I also sometimes get a grinding noise on the shift to park from neutral. Would love to find a way to avoid this. Anyone have an idea?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4 View Post
rream - yes, I also sometimes get a grinding noise on the shift to park from neutral. Would love to find a way to avoid this. Anyone have an idea?
Is that with engine running?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I find that if I do a 'wig wag' with the RV, (swerve left and right) I can get the arms locked pretty quickly. Just don't do it in front of a cop or you'll be blowing in a breathalyzer! I try to do it in parking lot or wide spot with no traffic.
No room to do that in our cul-de-sac. Once we turn the corner on to a street where we can zig zag they are both locked.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #112

Per the grinding on shift from neutral to park, two things can stop this. First, be sure the engine has gone back to a complete idle before shifting or second, turn ignition key off before shifting to park. These rigs work well, but a little temperamental on some of these steps as mentioned above.

jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing