Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2014 Jeep Cherokee needs new tranny

Hi all,

I have driven our 2014 Cherokee for almost one year, 22,000 driven miles and over 10,000 towed miles without a problem. Two weeks ago the engine light came on and I immediately brought it to a Jeep dealer in Austin, TX.

The car had no symptoms except a day before there was a little growl sound and feel that appeared to come from the drive train. The week prior I had brought the Cherokee in for an airbag recall. While the car was at Jeep they updated all of the service bulletins, there were a few.

Upon trying to diagnoses the problem the dealer found computer codes relating to the transmission but could not identify the problem. The techs at the dealer went back and forth with techs from Chrysler corporate to try and figure things out for a few days.

The corporate guys suggested replacing a few parts in the tranny and after discussing this with the techs at the dealer I told them that this was not acceptable. I explained that I live on the road and travel and do not want them to attempt to fix this by trial and error. With the help and support of the dealer Chrysler Corp. agreed to replace the tranny with a new unit.

We have been delayed in our travels for almost 2 weeks but we got the car back today and all seems well. Not too bad of a delay. Normally with something like this I would be very concerned about the car for the long run. What things would occur after the original warranty ran out. For this reason I am so glad I purchased the Chrysler Max Car lifetime extended warranty. Now if we keep the car for many years, which I hope to, I have no worries about future issues with the tranny or anything else.

I have had many new cars from many brands in my many years of driving. This is the first time I have ever had an issue this severe this early in ownership. A bummer but for now all is good and looking forward to hitting the road. We are planning to drive the car for a few more days here just to make sure nothing crops up and then hit the road on Friday.

My post is just a heads up for anyone who has or is thinking about this Jeep and to let you know that if you do have an issue with the tranny don't just settle for parts being replaced, insist on a new tranny. Also, if anyone is questioning the value of the life time max car warranty from Chrysler, don't, just buy it.

Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have this vehicle - it has 28,000 miles on it and has been towed 67 times for over 11,000 miles

No problems at all - so just a head up not all have problems

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
rream,

I did not see anywhere that I said all Cherokees have this or any problem. If you go to the Jeep Cherokee club forum you will read about many who have had tranny issues.

I thought with 22,0000 miles I was "safe" from having an issue. Guess not. You should be very proud of your Cherokee give it a big hug in the morning. This has just been a disappointing experience for a new car. That being said whenever you buy a first year car you run the risk of issues.

In discussing the problem with the service manager at the dealer where the work was done he did knowledge many 2014 Cherokees had or will have problems with the tranny. Some could be fixed with a flash and others cannot.

The nice thing about getting a new tranny is the issues have been addressed with this new one and hopefully that will be that!

Stuart
Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have read about the transmission replacements on various KL forums. I have no idea what percentage of vehicles it represents, but it is a known problem that comes up frequently. You now probably have a 2015 transmission which should work out fine for you. I also have the Lifetime warranty, so while it might go out at an inconvenient time, at least I know I'm covered.

My problem, like many others have reported, is it will not automatically downshift to second gear when approaching a slow turn. It stays in third gear until/unless I come to a complete stop, at which time it will shift into first gear. This is even after the R01 update. The only way I can get it to grab second gear is to manually downshift it.

I'm kind of hoping one of two things happen. Either Chrysler comes up with a software update, or my transmission fails like yours did, and I get a new one.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
BobGed,

With my last tranny I also had that issue with downshifting. This new tranny does feel more predictable and smoother in the lower gears. I need more time with it to get a feel for how it performs.

It was a relatively quick fix replacing the tranny. The delivery of the tranny was delayed by about 5 days due to all of the storms from the midwest to Austin, TX.

The point of my original post was to encourage anyone who has a similar problem to fight for a new tranny rather than trading out bits and pieces of the old tranny to try and fix the problem.

Stuart
Old 05-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Stuart, good news that you got the new trans. Would you mind giving us more info on type of towing set up, and is this an automatic? I read a little about the jeep trans prob, but did not know it might be towing related or engine type.

Thanx for the helpful info.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Linda Bob,

We have the v6 engine and the 2 speed transfer case, 4 wheel drive (is a must have tranny for towing 4 down).

I have a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with an Air Force One brake system. The car has been a pleasure to own and drive. The tow setup has worked very well. To set the car for towing is very simple to disengage the transmission with a dedicated button. I also have a charge line running from the coach to the Cherokee.

The dealer confirmed for me that the problem had nothing to do with towing. It was just a fluke of a thing. As he said "it just happens sometimes".
Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to give an update on our experience with the new tranny as well as some very interesting information, good, about the Mopar Lifetime Max Care extended warranty.

We have put on a few thousand miles with the new tranny. I am happy to report that all is well and the tranny is running smoother, shifts more predictably and get a little better fuel mileage than the last tranny. I am also getting into 9th gear more frequently and predictably although I do need to exceed 80 mph to get into 9th.

As for the extended warranty. First let me say I usually am not a fan of extended warranties however I did purchase this one for $2,000 when the Jeep was new. For all of you nay-sayers regarding extended warranties here is one for you. With the Mopar max care warranty I was entitled to up to $1,000 for room/board/meals during the time that the tranny was being repaired. This benefit would not be available with the standard new car warranty. Well, I just got reimbursed for, you guessed it, $1,000 for camp ground fees and meals for the time of repair.

The amazing thing is that this reimbursement saved us one half of what we paid for the extended warranty. With this happening I am even more happy with my decision to buy the extended warranty.

So, all in all things have worked out extremely well for us. We did spend a few weeks in Austin, TX waiting but that is the beauty of full timing you just need to be flexible. Now I can say I ate some really great BBQ on Mopar while in Austin!!!

With all this being said I am very much enjoying the Cherokee. The wife and I do love the car. There are some great features and works very well as a toad. I do ask myself if I knew in the past what I know now would I have purchased the Cherokee, not sure. I may have chosen something different just to be on the safe side. Choices are shrinking for toads so the decisions are getting tougher.

Stuart
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
When towing, the NEUTRAL switch light is on, transmission in PARK, engine in the OFF position, key fod out of car and park brake off.

When the car is OFF do the steering wheels lock or are they free to turn right and left? (Our old toad way left in the ACC mode).

Do you lock you car doors while towing it?

Tomorrow will be our first day towing the Cherokee.

Steve
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
When towing, the NEUTRAL switch light is on, transmission in PARK, engine in the OFF position, key fod out of car and park brake off.

When the car is OFF do the steering wheels lock or are they free to turn right and left? (Our old toad way left in the ACC mode).

Do you lock you car doors while towing it?

Tomorrow will be our first day towing the Cherokee.

Steve
When towing the ignition is OFF, and the NEUTRAL switch light is NOT on. Steering wheel does not lock with the ignition in the OFF position. And yes, I lock my doors when towing.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #11

S-n-L, I had just started a new thread about the 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude and Trailhawks 4WD's, when I saw your thread. We have been looking at these as well as the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We really liked the Cherokee until the salesman said "if you read the reviews disregard the comments about the transmissions as Jeep has fixed that". So I have been reading reviews on the Cherokees and there are a lot of people who have had to have their transmissions replaced in the first few thousand miles due to complete failure or like you had a code issue that came up. Some of these reviews have been in the last week.

If we do buy one I will take your advice and buy the extended warranty. I too am not a fan but sometimes it's just good insurance to do so. If you had it to do all over again would you still go with the Cherokee, or would you consider the Wrangler Unlimited. With the current discounts on the Cherokee's they are about the same price maxed out as compared to a Wrangler.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
S-n-L, I had just started a new thread about the 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude and Trailhawks 4WD's, when I saw your thread. We have been looking at these as well as the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We really liked the Cherokee until the salesman said "if you read the reviews disregard the comments about the transmissions as Jeep has fixed that". So I have been reading reviews on the Cherokees and there are a lot of people who have had to have their transmissions replaced in the first few thousand miles due to complete failure or like you had a code issue that came up. Some of these reviews have been in the last week.

If we do buy one I will take your advice and buy the extended warranty. I too am not a fan but sometimes it's just good insurance to do so. If you had it to do all over again would you still go with the Cherokee, or would you consider the Wrangler Unlimited. With the current discounts on the Cherokee's they are about the same price maxed out as compared to a Wrangler.
Please make sure you get the Active Drive II transmission or you can CANNOT flat tow it.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

I have posted in other threads about problems with my Cherokee. If you have not seen it, I will repost here:
I have many problems with the Jeep Cherokee with Active Drive II as a toad.
The indicator lights for ESC (electronic stability control) comes on when I hook up and stays on after towing. It goes off on its own. Can't get it to go off by pushing the off button on the dash.
The dash says, "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE". How is this possible? It's supposed to be a full time four wheel drive.
The most frustrating problem is that the Jeep will unexpectedly start swerving back and forth, rocking the motor home left and right. The rocking gets worse. The only way to stop this is to come to a complete stop. Let's hope you have someplace to pull over. The first time this happened, I thought that I had blown a pair of dually wheels on the coach, it was that bad.
Many other owners have had this happen to them, as well. Google for it.
It happens on different makes and types of coaches (diesel pushers, front gas). Different towbar systems, different braking systems. The only constant is Jeep Cherokees (2014-15)
Jeep service departments are at a loss.
I pulled this for over 8,000 mi. before it happened. (This is not unusual. Others have seen this as well.)
Precipitating factors vary. It can not be duplicated.
I would not recommend this vehicle until Jeep gets this sorted-out
Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #14

Please keep in mind that while I have driven a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, and Limited, I have not been in a Wrangler in years. I believe the suspension in the Wrangler is a little stiffer/harsher than the Cherokee. I also find the interior of the Wrangler to be more Utility based .VS. the Cherokee. If you are going for honest to you know who, four wheelin ability, then the Wrangler or Trailhawk is right where you want to be. If you want "on road" 4WD, then the Cherokee Limited may be a better choice. The Cherokee Limited 4WD with Active Drive II, has the same suspension as the Trailhawk, with the exception of the Locking Rear Diff. IMHO, the Cherokee Limited is more suited to us old guys that need 4WD but will never go rock crawling. Heck, the furthest off road our limited will see is probably the campground roads. The DW is an RN and has to be able to get to the hospital in bad weather, so we have to have a 4WD for those rare occasions. It tows well behind the Bay Star!

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote