Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

2014 Jeep Cherokee Toad Brake Gotcha

Jeep has designed the 2014 Cherokee with RV towing in mind - with one oversight. There is no easy or safe way to run wires through the firewall in order to install the toad braking system.

When checking with my Jeep dealer and Camping World I was informed the only way through the firewall was to make cuts on both sides of the main electrical boot. The boot is tough to cut and full of wires. On the engine side the boot is impossible to cut with any finesse or accuracy - it is buried.

In my case I managed to cut some wires inside the boot - this resulted in a $1600 repair bill to replace the harness.

My dealer was appalled there was not a better way to run wires and suggested I contact Jeep Corporate customer service. Jeep understood the issue and said they would report it to engineering. However they did not consider it a problem because they have not had any complaints! So I had to foot the bill myself.

If you contact Jeep the case number is 25006265.

Good luck and be careful!! And happy towing.
Runolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Um, I just pushed out the blank plug just aft the steering column and ran all my wires through it.

It's pretty tight up there and can't be seen from above, so I couldn't get a photo.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Um, I just pushed out the blank plug just aft the steering column and ran all my wires through it.

It's pretty tight up there and can't be seen from above, so I couldn't get a photo.
Do you have a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? My problem is with the Cherokee.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

2014 cherokee has a pop out plug in the firewall
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #5

gatorb8, did you use the pop out plug in the firewall? I have located the plug in mine(2014 cherokee trailhawk), but I haven't installed my breaking system yet. I was curious what if any sealant you used and if you were able to reuse the plug.
Thanks.
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runolfson View Post
Do you have a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? My problem is with the Cherokee.

My bad. We have a grand.

If you pop out a plug just drill the center and push the wires through, then put it back in.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clements02 View Post
gatorb8, did you use the pop out plug in the firewall? I have located the plug in mine(2014 cherokee trailhawk), but I haven't installed my breaking system yet. I was curious what if any sealant you used and if you were able to reuse the plug.
Thanks.
I only used the pop out as a reference point on where to drill through for my readybrake install.

To use it for wires, pop it out, cut a slit in it, rin wires through, pop it back in
Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

If anyone finds a popout plug in the 2014 Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) firewall please let me know. My local Jeep dealer and Camping World would love to know where it is.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runolfson View Post
If anyone finds a popout plug in the 2014 Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) firewall please let me know. My local Jeep dealer and Camping World would love to know where it is.
If you look directly above the brake pedal up towards the fire wall, you can't miss it. It is a black rubber plug about 2" in diameter if I remember correctly. I have a 2014 cherokee(not Grand Cherokee).
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My Terrain had a similar problem. I solved it by making my own hole down close to the bottom of the firewall/footwell. Used a 1" hole saw and put a rubber grommet in it that allowed sufficient room for my wires. I then sealed it with silicon. The rubber floor covering plus the carpet protects the wires (that I put inside wire tubing) and keeps them from moving around or getting smashed. Been that way for three years now.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #11

X2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clements02 View Post
If you look directly above the brake pedal up towards the fire wall, you can't miss it. It is a black rubber plug about 2" in diameter if I remember correctly. I have a 2014 cherokee(not Grand Cherokee).
Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

I have a 2014 Cherokee latitude with act drive II I install the E switch cable for the break buddy today the plug is just to the left (inside the cab)of the break peddle you can see it if you turn the front wheel to the left.
santees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad