Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Jeep Cherokee Tow Vehicle

I'll be shortly pulling my new Jeep behind my Winnie - but one question I have is the Active Drive II system is for forward towing only, but can the vehicle be reversed for occasional parking, turn-around, etc.? I've read this a few times now and am a little concerned. Any help here would greatly be appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a good towing bar/base plate package? this is my first dingy. I've read a little about Blue-Ox. Thanks for the help.
lpavao is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpavao View Post
I'll be shortly pulling my new Jeep behind my Winnie - but one question I have is the Active Drive II system is for forward towing only, but can the vehicle be reversed for occasional parking, turn-around, etc.?
Hi Ipavao, and

If it's a 2014, then surely you still have the Owner's Guide. Details on towing your SUV will be spelled out in "the manual" in great detail.

On my 2012 F-150 and 2013 Venza, the section on towing is buried back in the middle of the manual, but it's in there.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'll be shortly pulling my new Jeep behind my Winnie - but one question I have is the Active Drive II system is for forward towing only, but can the vehicle be reversed for occasional parking, turn-around, etc.? I've read this a few times now and am a little concerned. Any help here would greatly be appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a good towing bar/base plate package? this is my first dingy. I've read a little about Blue-Ox. Thanks for the help.

Active Drive II is the transmission what do you mean by reversed ?

I have the Demco baseplate using a Blue Ox towbar.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't back anything back more than a couple of feet... EVER. More than that you take the chance of it's jack-knifing or worse. IMHO
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Right - a couple of feet should be OK, so I've been told. I've backed up vehicles before where this would never be an issue - but the ADII is a bit special when it comes to this. I just wanted to see if anyone with a 2014 Cherokee had any good (or bad) experience with this. The manual states forward only towing. The details of "a few feet" aren't discussed - not at all. I guess that's how I'll treat it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Right - a couple of feet should be OK, so I've been told. I've backed up vehicles before where this would never be an issue - but the ADII is a bit special when it comes to this. I just wanted to see if anyone with a 2014 Cherokee had any good (or bad) experience with this. The manual states forward only towing. The details of "a few feet" aren't discussed - not at all. I guess that's how I'll treat it. Thanks for the feedback.
At any rate it is never good to back up a motor home with a toad attached. Where are you reading this in the owner manual. I am still not sure what you are talking about.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

Just had the Blue Ox Base Plates BX1135 installed today on our 2014 Cherokee Limited. We also have the Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar. We have not towed the Jeep yet, but I am very impressed with the fit and quality of the Blue Ox Equipment. We will also be using the Blue Ox Patriot braking system.

Good Luck!

Wayne
Wstevenson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

Unless you want to reconfigure the structure of your Jeep, it is not advisable to reverse your RV with it attached.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you - just what I was looking for.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't answer your specific question regarding the ADII system, but you can back up a towed IF you: go straight back, go very slow, have some watching to make sure you aren't starting to jackknife. Have had to do it a few times to get out of a sticky situation on my big trip out west last year.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Demco does have a $50 lower price than the other two competitors but..... Demco is behind offering baseplates on 2014 Jeeps so I went with a Blue Ox on my 14 Patriot.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Demco does have a $50 lower price than the other two competitors but..... Demco is behind offering baseplates on 2014 Jeeps so I went with a Blue Ox on my 14 Patriot.
Not really all jeeps, just the ones that only be towed 4 down with a manual transmission, can not be much of a market for them so I bet they never have one
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Not really all jeeps, just the ones that only be towed 4 down with a manual transmission, can not be much of a market for them so I bet they never have one
I'm just going by what the factory told me the last few days. They were very helpful and called back explaining their future plans for the 14 Jeep Patriot.(manual) The wait is at least a month or more so I went with Blue Ox.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
OK guess I am wrong