Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

2014 Jeep flat towing

I just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with Quadra trac11. The owners manual for shifting into neutral is outdated and doesn't work for me. Anyone got a 2014 that can help? Thanks
dardnterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
I don't own, but its true. As far as I know your options are get a car hauler or find a true 4 wheel drive that has a neutral position in the transfer case. My 4x4 Dakota has a little button (have to use a pen to push it) that you can press and hold that puts the transfer case in full neutral, Im not sure if the AWD versions had this. Some Chevys you twist the 4x4 knob backwards for a few seconds to get neutral

Maybe there is another option for you like a disconnect, but the old remcos (not even sure they are still around) would have to be a front and rear disconnect.

I hope someone else may have better news for you.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check for the current owner's manual here Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep It gives directions for towing the 2014 JGC Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II four down.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Check for the current owner's manual here Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep It gives directions for towing the 2014 JGC Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II four down.

Hmmm same as my Dakota, I wonder why he said his manual says you cant
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The 2014 instructions are the same as my 2012 and mine works just fine. If you are still having problems take it to your dealer's service department (not a salesperson) and ask for help. If they can't get it to work they have factory people they can call.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ii have a 2014 GC I've towed it about 1500 miles so far. Use this proceedure: start the engine, place it in neutral, foot on the brake, depress the neutral button until is goes from flashing to steady red, place transmission into park. If the transmission will not go into park at that time, press and hold the start button until the engine shuts off. Press the start button with your foot OFF the brake, then place the transmission into park. You should be ready to go.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Ii have a 2014 GC I've towed it about 1500 miles so far. Use this proceedure: start the engine, place it in neutral, foot on the brake, depress the neutral button until is goes from flashing to steady red, place transmission into park. If the transmission will not go into park at that time, press and hold the start button until the engine shuts off. Press the start button with your foot OFF the brake, then place the transmission into park. You should be ready to go.

Dennis
What about power for brake system?
Instructions say to disconnect battery.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry
I just finished up a 4300 mile trip towing the Jeep, no problems at all. I've NEVER disconnected the battery, it's no in my owners manual to do so. I use a RoadMaster BrakeMaster brake system, it uses no power, only air from my coach.

Dennis
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Jerry
I just finished up a 4300 mile trip towing the Jeep, no problems at all. I've NEVER disconnected the battery, it's no in my owners manual to do so. I use a RoadMaster BrakeMaster brake system, it uses no power, only air from my coach.

Dennis
Thanks, my brother with the GC has a gasser so has to use a brake system needing power.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry
They make a version of the BrakeMaster for a gasser without air brakes, It looks like a simple install.

Dennis
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Jerry
They make a version of the BrakeMaster for a gasser without air brakes, It looks like a simple install.

Dennis
I won't say it's easy to install just cost a few duckets but works great. You will lose some storage space for the air system. Another option is the Invisabrake by Roadmaster.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The 2014 GC manual does not call for battery disconnect for flat towing. The 2014 owners manual process works for me. I am using an SMI Airforce One brake system for years, and it works great. They makes unit for gas coaches called Stay-in-place Duo.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardnterry View Post
I just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with Quadra trac11. The owners manual for shifting into neutral is outdated and doesn't work for me. Anyone got a 2014 that can help? Thanks
We also have a 2014 Overland and the Owners Manual does not match the vehicles ignition system. Without an insertable key fob you cannot follow the manual instructions. We were able to get the transfer case into neutral but without written instructions. We would prefer to have written instructions in order to protect our warranty. Any help?
Hogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
From the DVD that came with my 2014 Overland GC for RECREATIONAL TOWING.
Note that the User Guide that came with in the glove compartment is NOT the same as the Owner's Manual.

NOTE!! The instructions below do NOT match my User Guide which thinks there is a key fob that can be used as a key, my 2014 does not have that nor does it have a mechanical shifter.
The instructions below DO match match the information in my Owners Manual. And the procedure does work.

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, with the engine running.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
4. If vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, ensure the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height.
5. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds. The light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete. A “FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM IN NEUTRAL” message will display on the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.
6. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
9. Shift the transmission back into NEUTRAL
10. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button until the engine turns off. Turning the engine off will automatically place the transmission in PARK.
11. Press the ENGINE STOP/START button again (without pressing the brake pedal), if needed, to turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
12. Firmly apply the parking brake.
13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.

NOTE:
Steps 1 through 4 are requirements that must be met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the shift, then the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.

The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

If the vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, the engine should be started and left running for a minimum of 60 seconds (with all the doors closed) at least once every 24 hours. This process allows the air suspension to adjust the vehicle’s ride height to compensate for temperature effects.

In the back of your User Guide find "Publications Ordering" (in mine it's page 183) there is a phone number 1-877-426-5337 to get the full Owner's Manuals. If you are the original owner they are free.

Tags
towing