Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2014 Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing

I am looking for an explanation or rationale behind disconnecting the negative battery lead before towing. The Jeep owner's manual states to disconnect the lead, but I do not know why it is needed. If the Jeep has no steering lock, and is wired with separate bulb and socket kits, then why disconnect the battery. If the battery is disconnected, then how am I supposed to power my brace controller?

Basically, you start the Jeep, put the tranny in neutral, put the transfer case in neutral, put the tranny in gear to make sure the car does not move, put the tranny in park, and shut off the engine.

I called 1-800 Jeep who's only explanation was to keep the battery from draining. Any help is appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

My 2012 manual says the same thing. The dealer told me that the pre 2010 "I think" models had a locking steering wheel and required the key to be on to tow, therefore the battery needed to be disconnected. The manual just hadn't been updated to reflect the non locking steering models. I don't know if that's the reason but it makes as much sense as any other explanation I have heard. I never disconnect the battery in mine. I have read about issues of the jeep brake light over riding the turn signal from the MH when using a plug in harness in conjunction with a Brake Buddy type brake controller that physically applies the brake pedal. Not much help I know.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
KIX

We tow a 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon with auto trans. The battery stays connected. WE do use Brakemaster for aux. brakes.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #4

I flat tow a 2013 Rubicon and don't unhook the battery never had a problem I use a Air Force one
And have towed it for over 10000 miles and never had a problem
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow my 2014 2 door soft top Wrangler with a BlueOx but without a brace controller. I just had the dealer wire in the brake and turn lights to the Winnebago. I have never towed with the negative disconnected and I have had no problems.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a system similar to what you describe on our 2012, except we use the Air Force One brake system (much less hassle, in my opinion, and I don't have to find a place to store it when I want to use the toad). Our dealer installed a charge line between the Jeep and motorhome, which probably was overkill and not necessary.

No key in the ignition. Finish the hookups, double check everything, lock up the Jeep and we're on our way.

For what it's worth, our '07 did have a steering lock and I had installed a simple blade switch on the negative battery post. Before I had done so the battery would be dead after one day on the road. I rewired one of the dashboard 12v power receptacles through the tow harness to power the "brake in a box" style system we had at the time. The steering lock was eliminated sometime during the '08 model year.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks you all for your inputs. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts as we'll. I traded up from a 12 Wrangler with a stick to a 14 with automatic. I never disconnected my battery on the 12. The 14 has no steering lock either so I see ne reason to disconnect battery or leave the key in it. I know when I towed my 12 with the brake controller hooked up, I could go all day with it plugged into the 12 volt adaptor and never had to worry about it draining my battery.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I flat tow a 2013 Rubicon and don't unhook the battery never had a problem I use a Air Force one And have towed it for over 10000 miles and never had a problem
Me too but mine is a 2012
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've tried since 2010 to get Chrysler/Jeep to update the owners manual. Too much money for them I guess. No need to disconnect the battery, and mileage does not rack up. We have around 13000 miles of towing a Jeep Wrangler.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I flat tow a 2013 Rubicon and don't unhook the battery never had a problem I use a Air Force one And have towed it for over 10000 miles and never had a problem
just arrived Home from a 5500 mile round trip to Florida to Texas and back to Connecticut and still love my blue ox and air force one set up
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

I towed a 2002 Liberty for 10 years and the last 2 a 2011 Liberty and never disconnected the cable. Never a problem with me.

Tags
towing