Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
2014 Jeep Wrangler question

I tow a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. I also install Tire Monitors on the tires so I can keep tabs while I am driving my motorhome. When I am not towing the Jeep, the tire monitors come off. The problem is that the monitor system that is built in the Jeep will not work now. I took it to the dealership today and they said that the screw on monitors causes the built in monitors to not work. This sounds like B.S. to me. They can reset them under warranty but only a limited number of times.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Thanks, Leo

Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
I can't see how that could be correct. The tire monitor in the Jeep uses internal sensors. The sensors you added for the MH TPMS are external and should have no effect on the Jeeps TPMS. Separate system, separate sensors. Did the TPMS in the jeep go out completely, or just a single wheel?

Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've had external monitors on our 2012 since we bought it. The internal ones still work (and have gone off a couple of times).
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
They all died at once then two tires came back on.
Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your external add-on TPMS is completely separate and would have no interaction with the standard onboard system. The dealer is blowing smoke...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Engle, If your add on tire monitors are transmitting at the same frequency as the factory units it could cause problems. I would thing that after a couple of days the factory ones would reset after removing the add on. Just a note there is a recall on some 2014 Wrangler for the TPMS.
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Curious on how to order.

After reading all of the feedback regarding TPMS I sure do want to get one and install it. The more I read the more I see I have to read. My 2014 Bounder has chrome wheels and because of that the valve stems are probably stainless steel. Upon reading the product reviews and understanding different metals deteriorate faster... So my first question is _ is this a concern I need to think about? My next question is what some say is centrifugal force and the weight. I would think it wouldn't mess up the balance of the wheel and I think what the concern is would be a valve stem issue. But I would think the safety of the TPMS outweighs the sensor weight. Last I had seen a forum regarding the tire monitor in the Toad. My Toad ( 2012 Jeep Liberty) also has a tire pressure sensor system. Some say they remove the RV's sensors when not towing and some say it does screw up the Jeep factory system. I'm just trying to get it right before I start looking at TPMS's. These forums have not steered me in the wrong direction in thinking and a lot of the people are extremely helpful.

gdetty is offline   Reply With Quote