Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2014 Lincoln MKZ V6 Towing

After much debate, we finally bought a car that's flat towable.

We've never flat towed before and reading these forums show that there's a lot to be considered. Any recommendations what I should purchase and whether it's something I could do myself. I'm not a mechanic just a determined cheapskate.

If it is a bit overwhelming what does it cost to have someone install everything needed. I see a handful of places in the Virginia Beach area that does such installs

Thanks

Mitch

2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4010

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Are talking about buying everything yourself and having someone else do it or are you going to buy everything from them? Just call them and ask them what they would do it for.

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I did a terrible job on my original post, random thoughts just popping out.

After a bit of thought and research I know I cannot do this myself. Of course I have a few questions concerning the install itself.

I have gone through previous posts concerning previous installs on the MKZ. The only product I've seen is from Blue Ox, I assume they are a major installer. I also saw a concern where one owner had to deal with a cracked baseplate or whatever it attached to. The other concern was the lights, adding a diode kit required the installer (I believe it was a Lazy Days installer) to cut into the wiring. Is this a normal thing? And should I be concerned about the installer understanding how to add this diode kit? BTW, I live about a thousand or so miles from Lazy Days and am not full-time.

Will they have to cut through the grille?

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, like I said in a previous post we've never flat towed and are totally clueless on this topic.

Final question for now, will the installer need the car and motorhome at the same time to do the install?

Thanks,

Mitch

2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4010
Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Mitch, I had my installation done by Southside Hitch in Midlothian. They did a superb job and the cut outs are perfect. Very professional. They are off of Route 288, about hour and a half or so from VA Beach. Hope this is helpful.
They told me they have installed several base plates on tow cars and after seeing their work I believe it. Also, they did not cut my wiring, but routed separate wiring with diodes for stop/blinker lights.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Did you have to take motorhome and car in?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I do have yet another question. We've been currently using a tow dolly to drag our Honda which is what we traded in for the MKZ. But, we would plug the tow dolly into the plug on the back of the motorhome for the brake lights on the tow dolly. Could that same plug be used to do two things:

Charge the battery on the toad.

Provide brake lights, although it would be by using a tacky looking brake light strip on the trunk of the car.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post
I do have yet another question. We've been currently using a tow dolly to drag our Honda which is what we traded in for the MKZ. But, we would plug the tow dolly into the plug on the back of the motorhome for the brake lights on the tow dolly. Could that same plug be used to do two things:

Charge the battery on the toad.

Provide brake lights, although it would be by using a tacky looking brake light strip on the trunk of the car.

Thanks
I assume what you used for the dolly was a flat 4 plug.... that will take care of the brake,tail and signal lights but not as a means to charge the battery on the toad. If you had a Bargman 7 pin connector, that will allow you to charge the battery..... but it's probably not really needed. Regardless, you want to run a 3 or 4 conductor cable to the rear of your toad and wire up the lights using diodes to isolate the vehicle wiring from the motorhome wiring. If you look at https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...ins/38955.html you will see how to hook up the wires and see what a purchased kit looks like.
What kind of brake system are you planning to use on the toad ?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I really appreciate the link for the brake lights. I even watched the video. They make it seem pretty simple.

I haven't gotten to the part of braking for the toad. I figured I'd get to that later on, maybe not a good idea to wait. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Once again, thanks so much. I'm currently a lost cause on this but i suspect after I get everything hooked up, or burned to the ground, I'll be an expert.

Thanks again
Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went through the same thought process that you're going through right now. I tow my Ram truck, so the baseplate install is a little different, but the concepts are the same.
I had a mechanic install the baseplates, since those are more or less permanently attached to the toad, and involved some pretty heavy-duty drilling in my case. There was no grille cutting in mine, but that can be done in a way that doesn't really effect the looks of the car.
I looked at a ton of tow bars and braking systems (which I would recommend getting from the outset), trying to decide which one would be the best/most economical. I decided on the ReadyBrute Elite system, which is a braking system integrated into the tow bar. I did the install myself, and I am not the most handy guy out there. There are a bunch of different brake systems available. Do your research to decided which one is best for you. To answer one of your questions, if a brake system taps into your coach's air brakes, you will have to take the MH to the installer.
I am still working on the lights part of my setup. I have been using the magnetic stick-on ones, which work because I tow a truck and can stick the magnets on the tailgate and not worry about scratches. But I wouldn't do that on yours.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mitch
We tow a 2013 Lincoln MKX and had camping world install our Road Master base plate for towing and lights. I am happy with their work but the Lincoln battery seems to have too much parasitic electric draw running down our battery after about 2 or 3 hours of towing. Very frustrating. We used a Jeep Grand Cherokee for almost 10 years as our toad and never had a dead battery.

We use the RVI2 auxiliary brake system (I really like it) and I noticed they have a battery charger that works of the hot wire on the motor home 7 pin trailer light plug in. I ordered one last week and just got it installed (very easy) and it appears to work just fine. I haven't towed the Lincoln yet but have hooked it up and everything seems to work as advertised. We are taking a 500 mile trip next week so I will know pretty soon how well it maintains the toad battery. I am thinking you may need to look at some kind of similar system to keep your MXZ battery charged up and ready to go once you reach your campsite each afternoon.

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System RVi2

RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff, thanks so much for sharing the ReadyBrute Elite system, I had no idea I could actually pick and choose what I used as a tow bar. I assumed that it had to be matched to the car. I did learn yet one more thing and that the tow bar has to be level within a certain tolerance. It's definitely getting more complicated.

Bob & Pearl. Thanks for your input. I had no idea that a parasitic draw in a car could make a battery dead in such a short amount of time. I do have a specific question since your vehicle's grill is similar to mine, how did they get the attachment thingies (not sure of their technical term) through the grill? Did you have to have holes poked through? Good luck on your journey next week. I very rarely arrive anywhere by mid afternoon. I'm usually 'that guy' who comes in around 8pm each night. But it did provide for yet another question. If you're just stopping overnight do you have to disconnect the car? I've already added a way to charge the car from the motorhome to the list of stuff to do.

Thanks to everyone for your input,

Mitch
Old 11-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mitch

Yes they did have to trim up the "LOWER" grill a bit. Our car is black and the base plate is black so it doesn't show all that much, but it is definitely a change in the look. They trimmed a piece from all three of the slats to make room for the receivers to poke through on each side of the grill. I have attached a picture to show the two receivers and how they protrude through the grill.

To answer your second question: it depends on what kind of spot you get at the camp ground. We are usually able to bet a long (60 ft plus) site and keep the toad hooked up. I start it up and let it run for a few minutes to recirculate the transmission fluid and take it out of accessory mode (push to start no key) but don't unhook anything else. If we cant get a long site, then I do often have to unhook and park along side the RV as it is almost 43' and the MKX and the tow bar takes it up to 60' or maybe a bit more.

Once you get a system down, it only takes a couple of minutes to hook up or unhook. I then check it several times before taking off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln grille.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	78592  

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, that looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing, it definitely eases the concerns a bit. If I can find someone to do a good as job as they did on yours I'd be very happy.

Thanks so much and happy journeys.

Tags
tow, towing