Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

2014 Malibu toad

Hi,

Is anyone towing a newer Malibu? The FMCA towing guide says you have to pull 2-3 fuses when towing. Is that true? If so, seems like a big hassle.
Can you get a fuse switch to turn off the circuit from inside the car vice pulling the fuses? That'd make it easier.

Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
paz

You can download the owners manual for the 2014 Malibu from the Chevy website. Recreational towing is covered on pages 10-94 to 10-96. According to that information, you do have to pull 3 fuses. It should be noted that vehicles with eAssist (a feature that automatically shuts off the engine to save fuel when the vehicle is stopped) can NOT be dinghy towed.

Yes, you can install a switch under the dash so you don't have to pull all the fuses. I did it on the Saturn Vue we used to have.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

how did you wire in the switch to bypass your fuses?

Thanks
Ted
southw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2014 Malibu as our Toad. We do not pull fuses or have a fuse switch. Instead, we have a charge line from the MH battery to the Malibu battery with a 20 amp fuse to make sure there is no feedback from the car to the MH. We have not had any issues. The Malibu tows great!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
You can download the owners manual for the 2014 Malibu from the Chevy website. Recreational towing is covered on pages 10-94 to 10-96. According to that information, you do have to pull 3 fuses. It should be noted that vehicles with eAssist (a feature that automatically shuts off the engine to save fuel when the vehicle is stopped) can NOT be dinghy towed.

Yes, you can install a switch under the dash so you don't have to pull all the fuses. I did it on the Saturn Vue we used to have.
You are correct about the e-assist. I bought a 2014 and learned this after I purchased the vehicle. something the salesman forgot to tell me. I had a 2011 malibu that towed nicely so didn't give e-assist a second thought.
that was my fault. I did get a 2014 chev sonic LS which is towable four down, Need to remove one fuse which I replaced with the roadmaster tow fuse. If anyone considers the sonic,ONLY the LS with 1.8 liter engine is flat towable. NOT the turbo. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:00 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by southw2 View Post
how did you wire in the switch to bypass your fuses?

Thanks
Ted
I removed the fuse, attached a wire to each fuse terminal (be sure to use a big enough wire to handle the current the fuse is rated for - my fuse was 30 amp), put an in-line fuse fuse holder in the wire attached to the hot side of the fuse terminal (with a fuse the same rating as the original fuse I removed), and then ran the wires to a switch mounted under the dash. There are switches for this purpose commercially available, but you can make your own a lot cheaper. Just make sure the wires, fuse and switch are all rated to carry the same amount of current as the original fuse.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

e-assist has been discontinued for the 2014 Malibu.
Chevrolet Malibu eAssist Hybrid Going Away for 2014, Could Return – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
The 2014 has stop/start engine but does nto have e-assist. e-assist included an electric hybrid.

eAssist | GM Technology | GM Fleet
eAssist

eAssist technology uses a variety of new technology to deliver excellent fuel efficiency without sacrificing performance. eAssist uses both Stop-Start engine capability and a state-of-the art 115V lithium-ion battery to power a 15-kW electric motor-generator. In certain conditions when the vehicle is stopped the engine will stop running to save fuel. All vehicle functions for steering, radio, and interior. When the brake pedal is released the engine restarts seamlessly and the vehicle accelerates smoothly. Under hard acceleration or when at cruising speed the eAssist system can engage the electric motor-generator to help accelerate the vehicle using the power stored in the 115V lithium-ion battery mounted in the trunk. Using battery power for 15 horse power for additional acceleration and helps keep engine rpm's low and assists in getting great highway fuel economy. The lithium-ion battery is recharged through regenerative braking, that takes place anytime the driver is coasting or stopping by using the generator-motor to send power back to the battery.

Other eAssist enhancements include underbody aerodynamics, wheels and tires optimized for performance and fuel efficiency, and electronically controlled shutters in the lower grille.

An ECO gauge on the instrument panel helps the driver attain maximum efficiency.

eAssist is available on the 2013 Buick Regal , the 2014 Buick LaCrosse and the 2014 Chevrolet Impala.1

Hope this helps.
bz_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #8

Allyred - Do you accumulate miles when you tow with the fuses in place? I also charge the toad battery from the MH, but I have also been removing both fuses, #s 8 and 24 I believe. Thanks...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Allyred - Do you accumulate miles when you tow with the fuses in place? I also charge the toad battery from the MH, but I have also been removing both fuses, #s 8 and 24 I believe. Thanks...
Some vehicles don't have a steering lock and are towed with the ignition switch off. If that's the case, mileage will not register.

If the Malibu has a steering lock, then you probably need to tow with the ignition switch in ACC. In that case, I would say mileage probably does not register.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Streamcamper - The mileage doesn't increase when in Accessory mode and the fuses are not pulled on our 2014 Malibu LTZ.

Tags
tow