Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #15

Well they certainly screwed up an easy procedure on my 09 just turn transfer case to neutral put Trans in park turnoff the engine remove the key and away we go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Well I was about to order the Patriot Brake from Blue Ox. Disconnecting the negative battery cable would make the Patriot inoperable.
You can always install a lighter plug that runs directly off the battery, just make sure you use some protection in case there is a short.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #17

Had the recall done on my transfer case. Spent 1/2 hour getting it to shift into neutral. First stop spent 20 minutes before I could get it to stay in neutral. 3rd time this am had to go to a G M dealer. The secret after the recall computer update on the transfer case is to start in 2 wheel drive and turn the knob all the way to the right and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. It will then stay in neutral. If you start or stop in 4 high or low it will not go into neutral.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #18

Ron,

After the recall do you still have to disconnect the battery cable?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #19

Ron,

I thought all 4X4's had to be in two wheel Hi and shifted to neutral before disengaging the transfer case. On GM when you turn the knob all the way to the right there is an indicator on the face of the knob that lights up showing a red N as soon as the transfer case disconnects. As well, you can hear it disconnect.

I believe you then check that the transfer case is in neutral by shifting the transmission into reverse and then drive. While in drive turn the key to ACC and then shift into park, disconnect the battery and you are good to go. Instead of actually disconnecting the battery you could install a battery disconnect.

See GM Service Bulletin 13-00-89-007 or the GM 2014 Trailering Guide, both are available on the internet.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #20

Yes, that is the correct procedure, but no where does it say how to shift it. I have looked in all the owners manuals and the bulletins from G M . They just say to shift it into neutral, they don't tell you how.

A battery disconnect would be great,but with GM's short neg cable and notched out battery post on the battery I can not find one that works, if you have one that works please post a photo and where purchased.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #21

The disconnect I was considering is provided by Roadmaster (see Accessories on their website), however, I gave up on buying a new Sierra and bought a new Ford F150. While GM states that you can tow a 2014, the dealer said no and that my warranty would be cancelled. I contacted GM, they in turn contacted the dealer and three weeks later they both agreed that the 2014 Sierra could be flat towed but so doing was not advisable. GM cited concerns about buyers being sufficiently competent when disengaging the transfer case ( I advised that proper written instruction would solve that worry) and they also quoted anticipated electrical problems as there are no less than five computers operating the vehicle. By the way, don't cross a creek and get water inside the cab, GM advises that the computers are centrally located and any moisture will fry the entire system (Professional Grade?) Perhaps the fact that over 70% of GM's manufacturing is in China might have an impact on component quality. I left thinking that any electrical malfunction would be blamed on flat towing no matter how caused.

Ford said no problem, how can will help you.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #22

Hey Ron, I have a post regarding the battery disconnet on a 2015 GMC started a few weeks ago. I am also interested to see if anyone has installed a disconnect switch for the neg lead.
I would prefer to place this outside somewhere conealed where you do not have to open the door or hood to operate.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #23

I tow the 2011 silverado 4wd. I have the hidden neutral light some have described. very easy to set up
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I hope the battery disconnect is only for the 2014 models and newer. I have a 2012 LTZ and have towed it over 10K without issues. The neutral light (N) is hard to see when you first look for it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #25

I have never had a problem with the battery going down while towing on my 2011 silverado. I also use the m&g braking system.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #26

I have just completed the setup to pull my 2014 Chevy club cab 4x4. Agree the guide to put in neutral made me pull my hair out until I found where the neutral was on the damn knob. Works great but as suggested they don't make it easy with the written guidelines. One must go to neutral to get the transfer case to switch gears. I also have installed the "Air Force One" system ( AIR FORCE ONE | SMI Manufacturing Inc. ) which operates off the air brakes on your RV, a very nice system. Getting set up to haul a Goldwing Trike in the truck behind the MH, hoping all goes as planned but looking forward to trying it out within the next month. Real issue now is how to store the ramps while loaded with the trike. Checking out a local welding shop to see what they can fab up for the stake pockets on the bed, we will see. Don't want to haul on the rv ladder if I don't have to.
budwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Spending Christmas & New Year in Congress Arizona. Next Quartsite and/or Yuma
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Hi Tom, could I get the number for Chevy you called?. I have a 99 Silverado and would like to ensure I donít need a trans pump, which some say I do for long hauling and some say no.
Thanks Chuck
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #28

just bought a new chey 1500 4x4 and having read all the post, won't you lose all of your presets on the radio when disconnecting the negative lead?

thanks for any help.

counched out is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing