Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #29

I just towed my gmc 1500 4x4 for the first time. Yes its alot more involved than my 2011 silverado was. A battery disconnect helped alot. Gm is out of touch on there instructions. The only problem I had was getting it to shift from neutral back to 2wd. I did not loose all my presets. Anyone else having problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
As someone said - they sure have screwed up a really straightforward system. I assume it's all the new electronics.

We've towed our 2007 Z71 for over 40,000 miles with no real issues. We would go from 2WD on the dial directly to N and hold for 10-12 seconds. Turn off the engine to stop the flywheel and then put in Transmission in Neutral. Remove the key and go. No limits on speed or requirements for running the engine.

For comfort when we get where we're going, we are now towing our 2010 Enclave and it requires that we disconnect the battery so we put a switch in from Blue Ox. We lose the information on the things like Gas mileage but the presets stay. Also we can't go over 65 and are supposed to run the engine at all stops and at the beginning of the day. We now see that the newer Enclaves require a second disconnect and the really new models require a third. My guess is they lose more data.

We like both vehicles and after looking at the newer ones and given the towing issues and the great condition of ours, we will stay where we are for a while.

Saltydog44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHEMOTH View Post
My understanding is that due to the electric assisted steering, the negative cable must be removed. More than likely the steering is only one aspect, the sheer number of electronic innovations would probably kill a battery within a city block without the engine running. Perhaps a Roadmaster battery disconnect is the answer to not removing the cable. That said there is still a problem if any power is needed from the toad for the braking system.

Also the instructions from GM seem incomplete as they have the transmission in Park with no further instruction to put it in neutral.

How are you guys that are towing 2014 GM's handling brakes, brake lights and turn signals while towing.
Correct! The battery must be disconnected to prevent damage to the electric steering. Various presets will probably be lost, too. We have used GM pickups for over 30 years, and have a GM employee discount. However, this time around, we jumped ship for a 2014 RAM because of GM no longer being RV tow friendly with the latest models. The RAM in contrast is very easy to tow. No steering lock, no battery disconnect -- essentially just place transfer case in neutral and go.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #32

Does anyone have a nice battery disconnect set up to share for the 14?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #33

Battery disconnect for 2014 Silverado 1500 4wd

I use from Amazon a wirthCo 20148, works great.
budwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #34

Budwang, please post a photo as I have tried that switch and the - cable is not long enough. Just traded my 14 for a 2015 and still the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
We bought ours from Blue Ox for the Enclave. Pricey but they are really helpful folks.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
1500 Baseplate Mounting Advice

I was quoted to mount the Blueox BX-1682 and install the Blueox wiring Harness a quote of; "In The Range Of $1,400.00 Before Tax", that is his words.
If I order from Amazon the parts cost to me is; $426.14, using Amazon Prime Free Shipping.
Is in the ballpark of $1,000.00 a fair installation labor charge? I have read over the directions, and I have the tools to do the work myself, (But at 60 it is so much harder for me than just 10 years ago). I am willing to pay but I don't want to get taken advantage of!!!
Talked with Blueox, they guestimate about 5 1/2 hours labor, give or take. This is for the Baseplate and Wiring install.
And TEN hours labor makes me feel like the hitch company want to charge what "They Think" I can afford, and not a fair labor rate for work done. I am concerned that a company who's business is installing hitches, and is a Blueox Dealer, should have competitive prices? At least I would think so...

dmsatori, COMA, Bama96, Ronrad, Saltydog44; have any of you installed the Blueox Baseplate yourself? If so what advise can you offer besides, "Get Off The Wallet And Pay The Piper"!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #37

Check that base plate part number doesn't look right for the new truck

1000 seems extreme to me jmho
Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
Check that base plate part number doesn't look right for the new truck

1000 seems extreme to me jmho
Good Catch I didn't put my year Chevy, 1999.
You say $1,000.00 seems extreme because you paid less for labor, or You installed your self and don't agree with so many hours labor?
If you want to answer via PM, you or anyone may feel free, I do not mind at all.
Thank You For Replying,
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #39

I installed both wiring and base plate on mine in about 4 hours it's not that hard
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
I am not mechanically talented so I had the work done for me. It was 8 years ago, but I recently had a base plate and wiring done to my 2010 Enclave. As noted, the base plate install was about 4-5 hours at a labor rate of $125/hour. Wiring was additional. I think I paid close to 1400. I was surprised, but it is done and working properly (On the Enclave I had to install a battery cutoff switch to avoid removing a fuse.) A friend did his own and said it was not difficult, but then he builds his own houses......
Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #41

Update For Blue Ox Install

Howdy, bilgerat here using DW's irv2, my computer "Bit The Big One"...
Thanks to the Navy Auto Hobby Shop, and my Friend Tom, we installed my Blue Ox Base Plate on my 99 Silverado in less than 4 hours. Everything went well and the Brake Buddy tested good. I would like to add, "Brake Buddy" was very helpful with providing PDF's for owners/operating manual for my older Brake Buddy. Tech line also answered a number of my questions.
I do need to find a 6" drop down for my Blue Ox Tow Bar (at MH) to get it level with Toad. Not sure where I'm going to find that... I know the WalMarts here do not carry that type of towing items.
Happy Easter Every One...
Old 04-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
dmsatori, COMA, Bama96, Ronrad, Saltydog44; have any of you installed the Blueox Baseplate yourself? If so what advise can you offer besides, "Get Off The Wallet And Pay The Piper"!
I did the install myself. The hardest part was getting access to drill the two holes for the base plates. Although I did not, a right angle drill would be very useful to have. This install does take time. You want this one done right. I was quoted ~$1700 with parts and install from a mobile Rv guy. Routing of the brake cables are critical. I put in taillight wiring. I had to buy a 1" hole saw to cut holes in the backing of the tail lights. I have a trouble free install that is easy to use and works reliably.

$1000 for install is robbery. This should be a 4 hour install for someone who has done a few, @ $100/hr. Get more quotes.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing