Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

2014 Toyota 4Runner

Does anyone make a Base Plate for the 2014 4Runner SR5?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try calling BlueOx and Roadmaster. Normally if you can't tow them 4-down they don't make a baseplate. I thought that rig was AT only and can't be towed. That's what they did to the Rav4 too.

You got a transfercase or a stick shift? I'm pretty sure Toyatas are no-towing with auto trans.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Will be calling them tomorrow. My 2001 Tundra 4x4 Auto Trans tows 4 down with the driveline disconnect and trans in park. No issues in 20k miles. I'm hoping that I can do the same with the 4 Runner. Still doing my research.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #4

You need to read the owner's manual about recreational towing. You will find that Toyota does not approve this vehicle for any type of 4 down or dolly towing. The instant you install a baseplate on this vehicle your new vehicle warranty for the transmission, drive line, and differentials is voided.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Yes, most auto mfg say that their vehicles are not towable 4 wheels down as manufactured. What they don't tell you is that they are indeed totable 4 wheels down with modifications. And as long as those modifications don't interfere with the operation of a defective component then they the mfg of said component is required by law to honor the warranty. I believe we will have to disagree on this one.

For those that are interested, I have found a company in Yuma ( Remco driveshaft disconnect systems | Superflow ) that can install everything needed. What do you know, I've always wanted to go to Yuma. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

I dont know about a baseplate..but you can get yourself an aftermarket bumper with recovery points. They make adapters for these to go to a tow bar.

Then insted of cut tupperware plastic you have an awesome mod. Check out demallo offroad. They make awesome stuff.

If its an auto..youll have to so like im doing with my fj cruiser and get a drive shaft disconnect from remco as well.

I personally have an arb bumper..got a few years ago before I ever considered towing the fj..and am having recovery points welded to it.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbour View Post
Yes, most auto mfg say that their vehicles are not towable 4 wheels down as manufactured. What they don't tell you is that they are indeed totable 4 wheels down with modifications. And as long as those modifications don't interfere with the operation of a defective component then they the mfg of said component is required by law to honor the warranty. I believe we will have to disagree on this one.

For those that are interested, I have found a company in Yuma ( Remco driveshaft disconnect systems | Superflow ) that can install everything needed. What do you know, I've always wanted to go to Yuma. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif

This is correct - with a driveline disconnect pretty much anything can be towed unless it's front wheel drive with an automatic trans and transaxle.

Most people are looking for easy setup for flat towing without modifying the vehicle. While the driveshaft disco is an option it's expensive, no? I guess less than buying another rig if you already have one. So if you're willing to go to those lengths all bets are off.

We had a Wrangler for a time, seems to me Currie had bolt-on tabs for connecting a tow-bar. With an armor bumper it's a piece of cake.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote