Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

2014 Wrangler Flat Towing Questions

First I want to say what a great forum this appears to be, I am a new RV owner and preparing for flat towing for the first time. I have read many of these threads and found a lot of great information but i'm still left with a couple questions specific to my set up. Here goes:

I have a 2015 Jayco Redhawk 26' Class C towing a 2014 Wrangler Sport. I installed a Blue Ox Base Plate, a CoolTech Wiring harness, and a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with the ReadyBrake system and the brake away kit.

So far the installation has gone very well, the base plate was pretty straight forward.

The CoolTech harness was easy to install but the battery disconnect that comes with it does not fit the post on the 2014 Wrangler. I'm sure I could "make" it work but do I really need it? When I test with the MH tether hooked up my running lights turn signals all work great on the Jeep when activated from the MH. The brake lights work except for the 3rd brake light. I have a factory tow wiring harness and followed the instructions for splicing in the yellow/white wire but the third light still does not work. Should I be concerned or is this no big deal?

The Ready Brake seems to be a pretty solid system but I'm finding that with the turn signals on and the brake pedal is activated in the Jeep it kills the turn signals on the Jeep. There is a lot written about this but I've not been able to find the actual solution as it relates to the 2014 Wrangler. Do I pull the M1 fuse? Do I disconnect the battery, or just not worry about it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
mdsizemore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
On my 07 I pulled the fuse because I had to leave the key on to disable the steering lock. On my 12, theres no steering lock so I put it in Park with the transfer case in neutral, pull the key and lock the doors. I haven't had an issue with the battery drawing down in the three years I've towed it.
exgman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Your setup is nearly the same as mine except I have a 2010 Jeep JK. Like Dan's, mine does not have a steering wheel lock so I do not disconnect the battery or pull any fuses - very, very simple.

Not an expert here but it sounds like something in your wiring is not quiet right. That said, I really need to hook up my Jeep and confirm that it is not behaving like yours - I don't think so but I don't know if the people that I've had looking at my lights when testing were actually looking at the third brake light.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your third brake light will work when the Ready Brake is activated and pulling on the brake pedal arm. You can have some one verify this by following you.

Regarding the turn signal lights being over ridden, just signal early before applying your service brake. Then if you can, press and release the service brake a few times as you're approaching the turn.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Your third brake light will work when the Ready Brake is activated and pulling on the brake pedal arm. You can have some one verify this by following you.

Regarding the turn signal lights being over ridden, just signal early before applying your service brake. Then if you can, press and release the service brake a few times as you're approaching the turn.
Yes, the third brake light does work when the ReadyBrake activates the brake pedal in the Jeep. The CoolTech wiring instructions indicates it should control the third brake light but it does not. Not as concerning as the turn signals being overridden though Thanks for the replies.
mdsizemore21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing