Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #15

Just a couple more thoughts, as I think the horse is as dead as it is going to be at this point.

From all I have read, this situation arises in a very slow speed senario, and all you have to do is stop, then pull away in a straight line and it goes away. It is not some high speed sudden situation (at least that I remember reading), and as noted above as well, few people have ever had this happen (and I have not).

With reference to a steering damper, it was also noted on thread that I pulled the other quote from, that some people have discussed putting a bungee cord around the bottom of the steering wheel and then hook it down so that is creates a bit of centering force.

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

Tires/Balance

Old 09-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
For some reason the quote from Jeep got left off my previous posts. Here it is''

"*A speed-sensitive electronic power steering system helps improve
efficiency and reduces road noise. The system automatically adjusts for
limited effort during parking or increased steering effort on the road"*
When you're towing the car, with engine off, the power steering system doesn't do anything, it only is powered when the ignition/engine is on.

Because this issue has only been reported while being towed empty, with no passengers, and all the variables involved, I doubt if Jeep or the NHTSB is going to expend much effort on this.

Caster and camber can ALWAYS be adjusted, it just takes a big lever to bend things into specs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quiet Hitch has been installed. Bungee cord to the bottom of the steering wheel is next. Thanks for all of the suggestions! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
When you're towing the car, with engine off, the power steering system doesn't do anything, it only is powered when the ignition/engine is on.

Because this issue has only been reported while being towed empty, with no passengers, and all the variables involved, I doubt if Jeep or the NHTSB is going to expend much effort on this.

Caster and camber can ALWAYS be adjusted, it just takes a big lever to bend things into specs.
I agree re NHTSB and Jeep--that is until it happens at speed and the hitch fails and an accident results--I disagree relative to the PS and alignment. While not engaged or "doing anything" a normal system has internal resistance due to the hydraulic fluids, etc, in the system. This new setup with this vehicle does not have any resistance and thus MIGHT be the culprit causing this irratic behavior.

Check with your dealer or elsewhere online, the castor and camber on the Cherokee is NOT ADJUSTABLE unless one wants to start bending components. It is totally different from most other vehicles. Why they did it that way who knows?
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
...While not engaged or "doing anything" a normal system has internal resistance due to the hydraulic fluids, etc, in the system. This new setup with this vehicle does not have any resistance and thus MIGHT be the culprit causing this irratic behavior.
Hydraulic power steering doesn't create as much resistance as electric power steering, in fact it's been one of the issues in implementing electric powered steering. Inertia and friction are far higher in electric motor steering assist than hydraulic systems. If you read this article, you'll see that with electric steering it's all in the programming, which of course isn't happening when towing. In addition, they didn't compare the steering systems when off, as in towing mode.

Many modern cars have "non adjustable" camber or caster, but don't believe it. If the issue with the Cherokee can be corrected with adjustment of camber or caster, a good alignment shop can change it. Aftermarket eccentric bolts, offset bushings, strut plates, etc. can be fitted to adjust alignment.

Wheel Alignment Problems

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow