Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #29

Turn it all the way to the right and hold while in neutral and it switches to N.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #30

Southwest is located in Yuma ,az and they are probably the best shop for driveshaft service. They stock a lot of the Remco parts and make up kits as required. Their website describes what they do. If we decide on a Tacoma I will have them do the install. 99% of any problems with the Remco system is the installation or lack of knowledge by the driver. Remco did a factory install on my system and it worked very well.

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Southwest is located in Yuma ,az and they are probably the best shop for driveshaft service. They stock a lot of the Remco parts and make up kits as required. Their website describes what they do. If we decide on a Tacoma I will have them do the install. 99% of any problems with the Remco system is the installation or lack of knowledge by the driver. Remco did a factory install on my system and it worked very well.
What's a 'factory install'? Remco installed the disco on your rig? Not a dealer?

For the Tacoma, check out the owners threads on flat-towing - the off-roaders have discussed this ad infinitem. Seems to me there's an issue with the front drive as well. At least for the 4x4.

It's been a couple of years since I dug into it, the 'yota is a great little truck. At that time I decided it wasn't worth it to buy an incompatible rig and then spend a couple of grand to try to make it work.

My BIL was a diehard Ford guy but had to get a Chevy for easy towing. Turned out he liked it pretty well. That was a full size Silverado behind a big DP.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #32

A factory install is just that! Remco installed my unit at their manufacturing facility in Omaha. They have sold that business and the new owners do not do installs. There are no issues that I have ever heard about. Lots of Tacomas with Remco disconnects. I only have experience with 4x4 Auto Trans.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #33

Colorado/Canyon Towing

I'm a bit frustrated. The battery disconnect and powering our Brake Buddy is not a problem, the manufacturer sent us a 12 volt battery direct kit. The ABS brakes need power to work. How do you handle that issue? I'm starting to think a lot of people think they have brakes on their toad and don't....I'm having a real love/hate relationship with our 2015 Colorado right now
Old 07-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Any of you guys using the RVibrake2 with your 2015 Colorado/Canyon? Trying to figure out if there's enough of a hump to the floorboard to give the RVi something to brace off of.
If you don't have enough hump, call the 1-800 # on the unit and they probably have a stop that will bolt to your floor for the unit to push against. They gave me one for my Envoy when I upgraded to the RVI2.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzze View Post
I'm a bit frustrated. The battery disconnect and powering our Brake Buddy is not a problem, the manufacturer sent us a 12 volt battery direct kit. The ABS brakes need power to work. How do you handle that issue? I'm starting to think a lot of people think they have brakes on their toad and don't....I'm having a real love/hate relationship with our 2015 Colorado right now[/URL]
Actually, although the anti-lock function will not work without power, the braking itself still will. The hydraulic function remains and does not require power to work. So what people may not realize is that if you slam on the coach brakes the toad (Colorado) is likely to skid a bit. But if you have to hit the brakes that hard that will be the least of your concerns...
And I've had to make some of those very panic stops, and even with the Canyon (in my case) wheels locking up, it's still better than not having brakes.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #36

New guy here. Just getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 Canyon. Am I going to have any surprises with braking?
New motor home bought last week and the Canyon we are picking up on Thursday. Going straight to base plate installer. Blue Ox 10k bars and a patriot brake system.
Do I need to add a positive feed to that Blue Ox Patriot after I disconnect the negative cable?
Boy our previous 5er and Ram didn't have all these hoops to jump through
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ricochet View Post
New guy here. Just getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 Canyon. Am I going to have any surprises with braking?
New motor home bought last week and the Canyon we are picking up on Thursday. Going straight to base plate installer. Blue Ox 10k bars and a patriot brake system.
Do I need to add a positive feed to that Blue Ox Patriot after I disconnect the negative cable?
Boy our previous 5er and Ram didn't have all these hoops to jump through
Ricochet - yes, you will need to do something since the Mfr's instructions say to disconnect the negative battery, and the Patriot is an electric unit. You can run a positive line directly from the battery to the Patriot, grounding it also, or you can run full (pos and neg) from the coach (and then not worry about how often you start the Canyon to charge it's battery). Or, if you're nuts like me you can just put a separate power unit (like is used to jump cars) in the back seat and plug the Patriot into it.
I have the Patriot and it works fine stopping the Canyon. And I went from towing Rams for years to this, and was a little disappointed at how complicated GMC made it...but then the Rams didn't have electric power steering assist...
But I can say from experience that once you get past the initial issues, it's a great little truck to pull behind the coach and I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #38

Regarding Transfer Case shifting problems:

While searching for transfer case info I Found this site regarding a problem with the "Service 4WD" message on your DIC. Don't know if it applies to the shifting out of neutral issues, so for what it's worth….check it out

Transfer Case Selector Switch

Heres a summary: (couldn't get all the text and photos in this post, see site for further details)

Transfer Case Selector Switch
A "Service 4WD" message may be displayed in the instrument panel cluster on some 2015 Colorado and Canyon models equipped with 4-wheel-drive (RPO NQ6, NQ7). DTCs B2725 (Transfer Case Range Selection Switch Circuit) or B0770 (AWD Indicator Circuit) may be set in the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM).

Some vehicles may have been built with the incorrect Transfer Case Selector Switch on the left side of the instrument panel, causing the Service 4WD message and DTCs to set.

Colorado 4WD

On 2015 Colorado models with 4-wheel drive (RPO NQ7), the vehicle is not available with the Auto 4WD option. The Transfer Case Selector Switch should not have an Auto 4WD position. (Fig. 11)

Vato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, colorado, tow