Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

2015 Chevy Colorado 4x4 for tow

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO.....
as much as I love my 2007 CC I was thinking of getting one of the 2015 models. Appears that the new ones can not be towed four down as my 2007. No neutral for transfer case, just a small dial low left of steering wheel for 2W, 4WL, 4WH. So disappointing. Salesperson I had did not seem to knowledgeable, but was not even sure if larger trucks would tow 4D.

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Okay...IT AIN'T SO...or at least according to the Owners Manual for the 2015 Colorado. They are available for download so check out page 10-76. It does state that only the 4WD models with the two speed transfer case can be flat towed.

The bad news is that it is a bit more complicated than the earlier models in that the negative battery cable must be disconnected and the key left in the ignition in the ACC/Accessory position. This means that all presets requiring battery power will be lost.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

One of these helps keep the memory, though I don't know if turning the ignition to accessory will affect it.

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-3002...+memory+keeper

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Yep the neutral light is hard to see. It's to the right of the 4-L.
Battery has to be removed to keep some of the systems from engaging.
I love the truck. Just ordered my BlueOx baseplate today.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

I tow a 2015 Colorado Z71 4X4 4 down. The base plates were installed by Blue Ox in Pender NE. Mine is the red Colorado shown in the base plate installation instructions on the Blue Ox website.
The instructions in the owners manual for putting the transfer case in neutral says to leave the key in the acc position and disconnect the battery. I have found, on my truck, that instead of leaving the key in the acc position turn it OFF and leave the key in the ignition the steering wheel remains unlocked. I have towed 1200 miles this way with the battery connected.
Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
and i am the one tha followed GMs instructions and do the negative disconnect with a switch of course. but ti works great so far.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, a second colorado towing thread. LOL.

I just got mine...can't wait. Black extended cab 4x4 with inline 4 cyl. 4100lbs.
I almost stopped by the scales today just out of curiosity.

The new trucks are just fantastic.

Chevy 4X4's for towing! Not Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Ram....chevy baby...they're the only ones!
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

We too want to flat tow our 2015 colorado 4cylinder, 4wd, auto. Re:battery disconnect, 1st, they say to disconnect at the battery, unusual connection there, not the normal post and clamp. Also, after doing that,no power to our brake buddy, run 12volt line from MH I guess. As previously mentioned, computer memory erased, but the memory saving gadget mentioned should fix. More fuss than my previous toad, oh well. Also, any idea of blue ox baseplate cost ?

Carl
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cloud 9

I installed the battery disconnect switch and a ran the power bacck from the MH since my brakes needs power. and all works well. After having the battery disconnected for about 12 hours i did not lose any radio presets, time on clock. the only item that started over was the MPG rating.

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Thanks Bob for the reply, glad to hear all works well. We really like our truck, and being able to flat tow is icing on the cake!

Carl
Old 02-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Per GM, the issue with disconnecting the negative battery has to do with potential damage to the electric power steering if power remains on when being towed behind something.
I bought a heavy-duty nicely packaged marine disconnect switch, but eventually just used a simple knife switch to disconnect the battery as room under the hood around the negative battery terminal/cable was limited. The knife switch connects to the battery terminal like the cable, and then has a male post to connect the cable to on the other side of the switch.
I use one of the stand-alone portable charging units (ES5000) to power my electric braking device - no worries about power then. (and Canyon battery is always up when I need it after a tow)
I am having trouble getting transfer case out of neutral now and then - GM included a supplement to manual to address some changes in procedure, but missed a step (waiting for all systems power-up to complete before turning knob to 2WD) and also has some contradictions between flat tow procedure and transfer case switching procedure.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
..any idea of blue ox baseplate cost ?

Carl
$328 on Amazon. Don't order one though 'till I get mine.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:13 AM   #13

GM called me to tell me that they have found the issue of not being able to take a toad xfer case out of neutral after the towing procedure, in many different 2015 models all the way up the Escalade. They don't know the cause, and say if you have the issue (which will be accompanied by a message telling you that the transfer case needs service on the D.I.C.), take it to a dealer who will clear the code! I told them that doesn't work when you're traveling cross country and aren't near a dealer - plus who wants to do this at inopportune times. It can happen any time you disconnect the battery and have the toad xfer case in neutral - but it might never happen! I will take my chances as so far I can be fine 9 out of 10 times, and that tenth time I can reconnect the battery and do the whole process again to the putting it back into neutral, and dump the code and get it to go into 2WD. Eventually they'll write a program to correct it, as it's an electronic issue with the logic in the computer - then I'll get reflashed!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #14

Re:dumping the code, you are able to clear the code yourself? Otherwise you are stuck.

Carl

Tags
chevy, colorado, tow