Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
2015 Chevy Equinox

If I run a charge line from the coach do I really need to pull any fuses ? The original fuse #32 to be pulled was the discreet login/ ignition fuse that killed the power. I get that one but now it says engine fuse box #16 instead which is ABS. If the ignition is on anyway, thus requiring a charge line, why would having ABS active be a bad thing ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
If I run a charge line from the coach do I really need to pull any fuses ? The original fuse #32 to be pulled was the discreet login/ ignition fuse that killed the power. I get that one but now it says engine fuse box #16 instead which is ABS. If the ignition is on anyway, thus requiring a charge line, why would having ABS active be a bad thing ?
Not sure but I tow a GMC Terrain and the addition of the charge line was a simple fix and being my towed is wired like it was a utility trailer the addition of the fifth wire was a simple fix.

The battery stayed charged for the last short run we did and I will let you know how it works on Thursday as we work our way further south and east from where we are now.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Not sure but I tow a GMC Terrain and the addition of the charge line was a simple fix and being my towed is wired like it was a utility trailer the addition of the fifth wire was a simple fix.

The battery stayed charged for the last short run we did and I will let you know how it works on Thursday as we work our way further south and east from where we are now.
Do you pull any fuses?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

You do not tow with the ignition ON, you tow with the ignition in ACC big difference. In ACC mode none of the engine / operating computers are on reducing the amount of current draw. You can reduce this draw even further by turning the key to full ON, then turn the key to full OFF-- DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. This way all the computers are off and no current draw while the steering lock remains unlocked until the key is removed from the ignition.

I tow my Equinox this way and just remove fuse 32. I have a V-6 so I don't have electric steering. I have towed it over 15000 miles this way without a problem and no charge wire.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Do you pull any fuses?
The one for the ABS.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You do not tow with the ignition ON, you tow with the ignition in ACC big difference. In ACC mode none of the engine / operating computers are on reducing the amount of current draw. You can reduce this draw even further by turning the key to full ON, then turn the key to full OFF-- DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. This way all the computers are off and no current draw while the steering lock remains unlocked until the key is removed from the ignition.

I tow my Equinox this way and just remove fuse 32. I have a V-6 so I don't have electric steering. I have towed it over 15000 miles this way without a problem and no charge wire.
Good Point I overlooked that. Mine does have the electric steering. I am thinking leaving in the fuse 32 probably allows that to have power and is what creates the battery draw that must be addressed with the charge line. New GM guidelines for models with the electric steering reflect leaving in fuse 32 to address potential "wobble" and removing engine compartment fuse 16 instead. I just don't understand why remove that one? Maybe ABS and the auxiliary braking don't play well together ?

Tags
chevy