Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

My question relates to the statement in the owners manual that says to disconnect the negative cable from the battery before towing. Is it because the battery will run down while being towed, hence the charge line suggestion, or is there a technical reason that Ford wants that battery isolated?

Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #16

The manual states to disconnect the negative side of the battery when towing.
Most of us have installed a cut off switch close to the front of the battery so all we have to do is turn the switch and you are ready to go. You don't lose any of your settings by doing this and you don't have to reach way back to the negative side of the battery to disconnect it there. It's best to run a trickle charger from your coach to your battery to keep it charged if you are using any type braking system
that requires power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	112778  

jjwalkers26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Algoma

I run a charge line from the coach to my battery on my 2015 Edge and I have had no problems with the battery.
I also don't understand why you would need to disconnect if you keep the battery charged. I have had no problems so far except I still don't have turn signals on the toad.
I had my installer talking to E-Trailer,Blue-Ox, and Roadmaster and everything they all suggested did not work on my vehicle. I am still waiting on the answer to get the turn signals working.
We are sitting in Fl now so no big deal but I do have to get them working sometime.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #18

I have been reading posts on other forums relating to earlier Edge's with flat batteries. I guess Ford finally admitted the problem and now put it in the owners manual that you need to disconnect the battery before towing to avoid this happening. A charge line will negate you having to do this. As for lights; on my current car I fitted separate LED lights in the rear bumper and fed them directly from the motorhome. May consider doing this on the Edge.
Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism View Post
Algoma

I run a charge line from the coach to my battery on my 2015 Edge and I have had no problems with the battery.
I also don't understand why you would need to disconnect if you keep the battery charged. I have had no problems so far except I still don't have turn signals on the toad.
I had my installer talking to E-Trailer,Blue-Ox, and Roadmaster and everything they all suggested did not work on my vehicle. I am still waiting on the answer to get the turn signals working.
We are sitting in Fl now so no big deal but I do have to get them working sometime.
I think the reason for disconnecting the negative side of the battery is to shut down those accessories that would be running if you didn't. I think since you are charging your battery, you probably don't notice the drain. I also think your installer missed doing the job right on the turn signals, mine and a couple of others are working fine. E-Trailer installed my friends tail lights as you can see on their web site. Blueox at their factory has got them to work also as I have talked to someone who had them installed in his 2015 Ford Edge and they also work fine. Blueox won't give you a direct answer but E-trailer might. I can only tell you that mine work just fine. Good Luck
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwalkers26 View Post
I think the reason for disconnecting the negative side of the battery is to shut down those accessories that would be running if you didn't. I think since you are charging your battery, you probably don't notice the drain. I also think your installer missed doing the job right on the turn signals, mine and a couple of others are working fine. E-Trailer installed my friends tail lights as you can see on their web site. Blueox at their factory has got them to work also as I have talked to someone who had them installed in his 2015 Ford Edge and they also work fine. Blueox won't give you a direct answer but E-trailer might. I can only tell you that mine work just fine. Good Luck
Thats the strangest part so far. my installer called Blue Ox and they tried with no luck.I called E-Trailer and asked the shop foreman to call my installer and he did. Still no luck they did everything the same but they could not get the turn lights working! The guy said they had experienced SOME Fords that just didn't work. Go figure,I got one of the stubborn ones I guess.
Im going to look into Algoma's suggestion of fitting some separate LEDs in the bumper.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #21
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dan, unfortunately not all "technicians" are as qualified or experienced as others. Even after 40 years in the business I have been fooled by erroneous readings with a digital voltmeter. I keep an old Simpson 260 analog meter around to keep me out of trouble. In many cases I use a simple 12 volt test light.

What can happen is a measurement is taken where the voltage shows to be ok but under any load it drops. A test light will put enough of a load often but not always.

You could do some of your own troubleshooting if you want to make a few tests. Using a test light just check the inputs and outputs of the diodes yourself. If you don't have a diagram they are available on E-trailer. If you gather some information we may be able to sort it out.

The toughest part of using a voltmeter or test light on a new car is finding a decent ground. I have run a length of wire right from the battery negative to use. Getting bad information due to a bad ground is just not useful.

On my motorhome I actually built a ground connection and have a wire built to connect to it. It reaches anywhere on the RV.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #22

Myron

I think you are right. My first installer couldn't get the turn signals to work right but my second one did. The second one said the first tech used the wrong wire in the car. He found this out by first using the wire the first tech used and I heard him say " Wrong wire " and had to find the right one on his own. I can't believe
the same year model vehicle has different wiring. For information, Blueox installed wiring in three 2015 ford Edges and they all worked fine from what I here. I did talk to one of them myself so I know it's true.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got off the phone with Blue Ox. Had our 2015 Edge in the shop today to get the baseplate and wiring done. Technician called to say the wiring harness won't work. He called Blue Ox....they recommended a light bar...BX8834. They just recommended the same thing to me.

I really, really, really don't want a suction cupped light bar. Hoping we can find a competent technician that can make the wiring harness work.

Any more 2015 Ford Edge owners that have had any luck with this issue since the last post in November?
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #24

jjwalkers26
Wife and I were told a 2015 Edge can not be flat towed, and to do so voids the Ford Factory Warranty. This was told to us by a long time salesman, who took the time to look up the info on the Ford Dealers website.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
Just got off the phone with Blue Ox. Had our 2015 Edge in the shop today to get the baseplate and wiring done. Technician called to say the wiring harness won't work. He called Blue Ox....they recommended a light bar...BX8834. They just recommended the same thing to me.

I really, really, really don't want a suction cupped light bar. Hoping we can find a competent technician that can make the wiring harness work.

Any more 2015 Ford Edge owners that have had any luck with this issue since the last post in November?
All I can tell you is that my first tech had problems, so I took it to Buddy Gregg here in Knoxville,TN and he had no problem making the Blueox wiring work.
Blueox is passing the buck. Call around and I am sure you can find a tech that knows what he is doing.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
jjwalkers26
Wife and I were told a 2015 Edge can not be flat towed, and to do so voids the Ford Factory Warranty. This was told to us by a long time salesman, who took the time to look up the info on the Ford Dealers website.
My manual said my 2015 Ford Edge can be flat towed and I just got back from a 6,000 mile towing it with no problems. Others who have the same car also flat tow this vehicle. Having said this, there are models with other engines that CAN'T
be towed. Maybe your sales person looked up the wrong engine. Also look on the Etrailer web site, they have an article about flat towing a 2015 Ford Edge. They installed
one in a friends Edge.

John
Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post

Steve
Blueox doesn't want to fool with it, I am telling you that their wiring harness does work if you find the right installer. Call Etrailer and they will tell you they can do it. Mine works fine now so don't believe what blueox said. Their wiring harness will work.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Found a technician nearby that can do the wiring and make it work.

From my Ford manual:

You can tow your 2.7L EcoBoost or 3.5L (6F50 or 6F55) equipped vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
Tow only in the forward direction.

Release the parking brake.

We have the 3.5L 6F50.

JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, wiring