Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #15

so as an update........ my 2014 focus is at the dealer and the tranny is apart and.......yes....it needs the third new clutch in 30,000 plus a new Electronic control module....

So.....while the 2014 and 2015 ford focus is flat towable ......... who would really want one? I suppose beside my spare tire I should carry spare clutch plates.......I go through those at the rate of 1 every 10,000 miles........

So much for "Buy American".........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Patch I think I would look for another toad. One would think Ford would want to help you in moving out of that lemon.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 AM   #17

Sorry to hear Patch-y.

I took my recently acquired 2012 Focus with 26k miles in to a local dealership for the stutter issue and received two software updates under warranty. Have to say that the drivability is somewhat improved and gas mileage is about 10% better; but, the shutter continues. Dealership indicated that my tranny wear was currently at 85-90% before a rebuild could be done under Ford's warranty.

Have to say...I fully appreciate how the Ford dealership handled the issue.

Do we know of any issues with the Fusion?

Bill
Old 08-06-2015, 03:18 AM   #18

FYI: Have no idea if this is real from Ford or not, but here is the on-line video that describes "Clutch Scrubbing" for the Focus shudder!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to sh1seadad Send a message via MSN to sh1seadad Send a message via Yahoo to sh1seadad
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
I have a 2014 focus hatch w/ auto tran. You can google up and see the auto tran has many complaints....in fact there is a class action suit against Ford for the poor performing focus trans.

I have 30k miles on mine. It has been rebuilt twice by Ford and goes in again this week for likely the third re-build. The first time leaky seals oil drenched the clutch. The second time the seals replaced the first time leaked and Ford replaced the seals again and, they said, replaced the clutch with a new improved version. They always also say they had a computer update (you will see on the google search that Ford has apparently given instructions to the service staff on what BS they are to feed us Focus owners....the computer is re-training itself etc)

I was recently away on a trip and the trans was so bad I tried to get it fixed on our trip. The local dealer stated the clutch plates are on back order because they are in such great demand and said he didn't think he could get the parts for three weeks.

For me, its clear that Ford has engineered a poor product in the Focus auto trans( it is actually a manual trans with two clutch plates that are computer controlled.....one plate for 1, 3, and 5 gears and the second for 2, 4, and 6th gear)

I have never in all my years(which are many) operated such a poor piece of machinery.....

The Focus was my first foray back into the American-made car market after a long period being satisfied with Honda and Mercedes........done primarily because Ford didn't take bail-out money.....you know...buy American (I think the Focus engine is japanese and the tranny might be german).

So while it is light at 2950 lbs, inexpensive, and pretty easy to tow...... for me it falls woefully short as a car because it cannot deliver the power to the drive wheels smoothly and reliably.
The escape transmissions are just as bad I just had to get a new one last month I wont tow my 2009 escape anymore
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #20

I would recommend purchasing a manual transmission vehicle (I have a 2014 Subaru Forester manual drive and all I have to due is place it in neutral and turn the ignition switch to ACC) or a Jeep Wrangler that has a transfer case that can be locked-out.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #21

I traded for a 2015 Ford F150 4x4 XLT Sport. The f150 is on order and I should get it mid October. I will install a Blue Ox Baseplate and M & G brake system when it arrives.

I spoke with customer service at Ford regarding my Focus ( which, btw, is running well after the third new clutch). At the conclusion of our discussions Ford offered a very fair deal for all the Focus trans problems I experienced. Overall I am pleased with the outcome.

In addition to the fair deal on the price of the new rig---- the Ford dealer is offering $3k more on the trade than the non-Ford dealers.......several of which stated they are aware of the trans problems with the DC Automatic Focus.

I am looking forward to moving on from the Focus.

The best part of it is that my wife really wants the truck....... lucky me.!!

It would appear that 'Buy American' hasn't worked out too bad after-all.

regards
rich
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Rich I just removed a Roadmaster Brakemaster and installed the M&G to our 2013 F150 4X4 CC , the M&G install was easy but you will have to remove the air filter box and coolant tank cut the coolant tank off the air box install coolant tank on the fire wall, I modified one of the brackets that came with the kit to improve the way it looked. If you need pictures leave me a message with your email and I would be glad to help.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Rich I just removed a Roadmaster Brakemaster and installed the M&G to our 2013 F150 4X4 CC , the M&G install was easy but you will have to remove the air filter box and coolant tank cut the coolant tank off the air box install coolant tank on the fire wall, I modified one of the brackets that came with the kit to improve the way it looked. If you need pictures leave me a message with your email and I would be glad to help.
Thanks

sent a pm

rich
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put 12,000 miles on a 2014 Focus (automatic hatchback) I bought last year with no shifting problems but wanted some different options so I traded it in for a 2015 automatic hatchback. Got a good deal from Ford on a trade in.

The 2015 handles better (larger wheels) and has smoother shifting than the '14. My '15 automatic has the manual shift paddles. Tried them a couple of times and they work but my tranny shifts where I'd like it to so I don't see much use for them. I have a few thousand miles on the 15 and no problems with shifting.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #25

We love ours, only used it twice as a toad so far. There is a big difference when you use the clutch scrubbing video we posted above. I was talking to our nephew who has a CDL and drives all types of vehicles and he totally agrees with the video. Just drive it like old fogies and you should be fine.

Tags
ford, tow