Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

2015 Ford Focus Automatic is flat towable

For comfort and a reasonably light towing weight (3K) I decided to go with the new 2015 Ford Focus hatchback automatic; but, then Motorhome came out with their 2015 Guide to Dinghy Towing which did not show any 2015 Focus listed in this year's Roundup. What to do? Went back to my Ford dealer today to tell him our pending deal was off; but, he showed me that this year's regular Focus automatic tranny is still good for four-wheel-down towing. It is the Focus ST and Focus Electric that are not.

Check out Ford's 2015 RV & Trailer Towing Guide for confirmation. Go to page 11 to see Ford's list of capable vehicles at the link below.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_15RVTTgde_Sep30.pdf

Motorhome magazine missed this one...So, always good to double check...

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 AM   #2

I am ready to buy one to tow behind our first new MH, a Forest River FR3 30DS. So how is the Focus working out? Thanks

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Big Dog,

We have been to our local Ford dealership and they confirmed that the 2015 Focus is flat towable as were the previous ones.

I just retired from work a few days ago and we will relocating to Reno, NV this weekend.

In order to not pay registrations and sales taxes in California and again in Nevada, we have held off on our vehicle purchase; but, that is on our list of things to do when we get to Reno.

Bill
Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bill there were a lot of 2014 Focus transmission complaints but I don't see but 1 2015 complaint on the trans but you might want to talk to the service mgr and see if it was a trans change for the 15.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

The complaints go back a number of years.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #6

well i have about a 1000 miles on mine and its been fine. gas mileage has been great, just running around town etc, 40 mpg
Old 06-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Bill there were a lot of 2014 Focus transmission complaints but I don't see but 1 2015 complaint on the trans but you might want to talk to the service mgr and see if it was a trans change for the 15.
Walt,

When I previously saw that Motorhome magazine had omitted the Focus from their 2015 list of flat towable vehicles; I did check with a local dealer to find out if there was a tranny change. Was told no then; and, that the Focus was still flat towable per Ford's 2015 list of models capable of the task.

Not sure if the reported Focus tranny failures actually relate to flat towing or other issues. Considering the popularity of Focus vehicles on the roads of the SF Bay Area, I am not sure that the complaint count is high in relation to the number of Ford vehicles out there.

Thanks to all for their input on this topic. Been really good.

Bill
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #8

Saw this post and joined this forum to post this reply.

We just converted our 2014 Focus to Flat Tow and there were two items that need to be mentioned.

The negative terminal has two connections. One goes to the firewall and the other has a couple of small wires. Per our Ford dealer, per his rep at the factory, the smaller wires are to sense amperage and are not a true ground. We needed to know this so our dealer could install a marine disconnect switch between the terminal and the post of the firewall. Simply click on, click off, no wrenches.

When our RV dealer installed a full Road Master system, the Even Brake required a separate power outlet. His tech originally screwed it to a point on the metal frame under the dash. Luckily we tested it before we drove home. Simple test, go through the standard process and after disconnecting the battery, try to blow the horn. Our blew! The tech remounted the auxiliary power outlet to the corner of the dash cover near the hood release. It no longer is a secondary ground connect, and the horn would no longer blow!

A couple of points to remember here. The secondary power outlet is connected to the car battery. It is a good idea to start the Focus every evening and once in the middle of the day to recharge the battery. Also, when the power goes back on, the transmission can take from a few seconds up to 15 minutes to reset itself. It is a good idea to let the engine run for that 15 minutes each time.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #9

I just got a complete Roadmaster Falcon 2 and Even Brake installed on a used 2012 Ford Focus today; and, will check for the above.

Thanks PapaGeek.

Sorry to say; but, I am taking this car into a local Ford dealership next week for tranny shuttering. Now seeing that the issue affects 2012-2014 Focus; and, Ford extended their drivetrain warranty to cover such.

Bill
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Bill a lot of this model focus had that issue I also had the shutter issue in our 2013 F150 and the computer update solved the issue, hope it solves your problem.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #11

Focus brake studder

Per the Service Alert, the problem stems from a bad bearing in the tranny.

Bill
Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I just got a complete Roadmaster Falcon 2 and Even Brake installed on a used 2012 Ford Focus today; and, will check for the above.

Thanks PapaGeek.

Sorry to say; but, I am taking this car into a local Ford dealership next week for tranny shuttering. Now seeing that the issue affects 2012-2014 Focus; and, Ford extended their drivetrain warranty to cover such.

Bill
Thanks, I was told that the shuttering was due to the tranny computer having to re-train itself after the power was restored which could take up to 5,000 miles. Mine is getting better with time now that I have brought it home from the dealer. Let me see how long it lasts! I'll print this out and take it to my dealer!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #13

I have a 2014 focus hatch w/ auto tran. You can google up and see the auto tran has many complaints....in fact there is a class action suit against Ford for the poor performing focus trans.

I have 30k miles on mine. It has been rebuilt twice by Ford and goes in again this week for likely the third re-build. The first time leaky seals oil drenched the clutch. The second time the seals replaced the first time leaked and Ford replaced the seals again and, they said, replaced the clutch with a new improved version. They always also say they had a computer update (you will see on the google search that Ford has apparently given instructions to the service staff on what BS they are to feed us Focus owners....the computer is re-training itself etc)

I was recently away on a trip and the trans was so bad I tried to get it fixed on our trip. The local dealer stated the clutch plates are on back order because they are in such great demand and said he didn't think he could get the parts for three weeks.

For me, its clear that Ford has engineered a poor product in the Focus auto trans( it is actually a manual trans with two clutch plates that are computer controlled.....one plate for 1, 3, and 5 gears and the second for 2, 4, and 6th gear)

I have never in all my years(which are many) operated such a poor piece of machinery.....

The Focus was my first foray back into the American-made car market after a long period being satisfied with Honda and Mercedes........done primarily because Ford didn't take bail-out money.....you know...buy American (I think the Focus engine is japanese and the tranny might be german).

So while it is light at 2950 lbs, inexpensive, and pretty easy to tow...... for me it falls woefully short as a car because it cannot deliver the power to the drive wheels smoothly and reliably.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #14

There are also videos on the web showing some of the tricks to making the trans work better, things that Ford will not tell you directly, like Clutch Scrubbing.

Tags
ford, tow