Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2015 GMC DENALI 2500HD 4X4 Tow Question

We are looking at towing our truck, in the tow guide it states you must remove the negative battery cable?
If I do this I remove the brake buddy function of the truck as there will be no power to run the air pump.

Who tows a 2500HD 4X4 and do you disconnect the battery. If so, how do you handle your toad brakes?

Thanks

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

In an associated question, Does anyone know the EXACT reason GM wants the power off the trucks? I'd heard things like the steering assist, traction control and a whole lot of other things, but I don't think I've ever heard a reason from GM. If we knew the real reason, perhaps some way could be found to shut down the problem system without shutting down the whole truck.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In reading the manual it looks like the vehicle stays in the ACC key position so the vehicle steering wheel will be unlocked.
I assume that this is why you need to disconnect the battery....
Anybody can let me know if this is the case. As I will need to wire an outlet from the battery into the trick then to run brake buddy
Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not many times do I answer my own question, but with enough time it can/will happen.
So the reason you must disconnect the battery is because the late model trucks have electronic steering, and towed, with battery Conected it would damage steering column.....
AND don't forget to leave the key in the ACC position.

Extra 3 minutes each way, well I guess I will take it.
Also needed to purchase a gator clip 12v cig Lighter plug to plug in brake buddy!!
And off we go!!!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
anybody towing this vehicle right now and has any insight????

Please Help!!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

i have the 1500 2015 model and having simalar problem tried using battery after disconnect switch installed and switched to off attatched 12 volt to either side of battery and not enough power from it?? seem like the battery is governed as to its out put yet when i use original 12 volt inside with motor running works great.have tried seperate 12 volt jumper battery from costco still not enoegh power ,going fishing with a red anchor soon any one else got simalar problems

new owner of a 2008 Fleetwood 40X motorhome with Freightliner chassis 360 cummins .both wife and myself are retired and will start to do more rving with our puppies, Sheba and Pepper ,pictures to follow at later date.cheers Blake
Blake Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow