Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

2015 Honda Fit braking system

Has anyone installed (or had installed) a braking system for 2015 Honda Fit manual transmission? If so what system and where were components located?

Considering purchasing a FIT as I think it would make a great light weight toad. However, I could not quickly find a flat space to install something like the Stealth or SMI Stay and Play Duo.

Thanks for any insight on this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

Mike - we have the Fit, bought specifically to be a toad and also because it's a great all around car. We are trying to figure out what kind of braking system to use right now.

Hopefully some others will chime in with advice for both of us.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, there's a discussion going on here about Motorhome Magazine 2015 Guide to Dinghy Towing not listing ANY Honda vehicles for towing. Does your owner's manual say it's OK?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

It does, but only for the manual transmission on the 2015. I made sure we saw it in writing before we bought the car.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
It does, but only for the manual transmission on the 2015. I made sure we saw it in writing before we bought the car.

Thanks for clearing that up!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepatrv View Post
Has anyone installed (or had installed) a braking system for 2015 Honda Fit manual transmission? If so what system and where were components located?

Considering purchasing a FIT as I think it would make a great light weight toad. However, I could not quickly find a flat space to install something like the Stealth or SMI Stay and Play Duo.

Thanks for any insight on this.
I have the SMI Stay N Play on our 2012 Honda Fit Sport....
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
While the SMI units are great, they are really hard to install in a FIT as there really is minimal space for the under the hood box.

I would suggest you look at the RVi2 brake. It's light weight, sits on the floor, takes just a few seconds to install or remove, and is backed by a very responsive service attitude. You can also get tire monitoring for the toad if you want.

Given the FITs motorcycle sized battery, I would add a battery charge line from the MH. RVi sells one of those as well and at less than $50, it's a good deal.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Honda Fit Braking

Thanks for all the insight on Honda Fit braking systems. However, I decided to go with a 2012 CRV. Looking at the new Fit HRV (not out in US yet) for "next" tow vehicle.

BTW: The day after I purchased my CRV, Jeep dealer called with a 2015 renegade with the active drive 2. Small footprint, relatively light for jeep (about same as CRV). Looked like a nice Tow option "down the road".

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
From what I understand, the Renegade is untowable in any configuration except on a trailer.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda