Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Ready for Toad Duty!

I completed the last piece of transforming the Cherokee into a Toad-Ready vehicle. I, like others, had saved the mounting of the breakaway switch to be the last job. A word or warning, for those that like to do this type of work themselves, Doing it on a brand new vehicle will test your resolve. The only good place to mount the breakaway was in the front grill. This required cutting out a section of the grill out, for the switch to slide into. if somebody had wanted to bet me 5 years ago, that I would be sitting in the driveway, taking a dremel to the grill of my 3 month old car, I probably would have bet the farm . I even did a test pull Sunday afternoon. It felt allot like it did when I was pulling my old popup with the Suburban. A couple of clunks when the the tow bar arms locked in, and away we go .

Thank you to all that have voiced opinions along the way. It has been an interesting few months!

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The Cherokee Limited is what we have decided will be our Toad next year when we get our RV.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

We tow DW's 97 Jeep GC limited now. She is shopping for a new Jeep, which she will drive now, keeping the 97 for a towed and my car to run errands. Just gotta make sure she buys the correct model transmission, as only the most expensive one has a neutral setting for the transfer case.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #4

Me Too...

UPS has been bringing parts daily, hope to get them all by Friday. Will be installing on wifes 2 week old Cherokee Limited this weekend. Bill, were you able to set the disconnect switch far enough back to not be too visible. I have watched a lot of videos so I believe I'm ready to tackle this project. Using a Demco wiring harness and Dominator tow bar with Air Force One brake. Wish me luck.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. View Post
UPS has been bringing parts daily, hope to get them all by Friday. Will be installing on wifes 2 week old Cherokee Limited this weekend. Bill, were you able to set the disconnect switch far enough back to not be too visible. I have watched a lot of videos so I believe I'm ready to tackle this project. Using a Demco wiring harness and Dominator tow bar with Air Force One brake. Wish me luck.
My Cherokee Limited has the V6, so it doesn't have the active shutters. My limited does have the front license plate bracket. I have seen some without it. The shop that installed the baseplate, attached the 6-way round to the bottom (flush) of the license plate bracket. I am in the process of painting that Black, so that it blends in better. As for the disconnect switch, I mounted it in the upper left corner of the main opening. I have included a picture of the Cherokee with the baseplate and 6-way plug installed. I used MS paint to indicate where the breakaway switch was installed. If you haven't already, remove the top plastic cover that is held on by push pins. Since mine has the V6 and no active shutters, there is PLENTY of room for the switch. I marked the location i wanted on the grill, and then used a Dremel to cut the grill out. I then used a sanding disc to remove the top edge of the grill up to the "chromed" area. This gave me a flat area to mount the switch to. The only scary part, was cutting the grill, as I have tried to make this process reversable if possible. That was the point of no return. Also, if your switch has a "U" bracket that holds it in place, make sure you account for enough space forom the corner so that you have room the leg of the bracket to mount. All told, it was a 45 minute job. Also, you have a double firewall. there is a gromet right behind the brake pedal arm. there are actually two gromets. One inside and one outside. The outside one popped out, and I haven't found it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	91582  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I love mine I now have towed it about 60 times for a total of 9,907 miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

What's up with having to cut a hole in the grill for the breakaway switch? Mine is mounted under the front license plate holder, outside the lower radiator shield.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What's up with having to cut a hole in the grill for the breakaway switch? Mine is mounted under the front license plate holder, outside the lower radiator shield.
Are you possibly referring to a Grand Cherokee? I had to cut the plastic grille below the license plate on my Cherokee for my lights, AF1 and break away connections.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee connections.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	91660  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #9

I didn't feel that the license plate bracket was a strong enough to withstand the amount of force that would be required to pull the pin. The 6-way round socket is mounted there, and it just feels flimsy to me. In my opinion, the breakaway switch must work. Any doubt is unacceptable in this case. In the worst case, if I decide to sell the Cherokee, I can just replace the plastic grill section. That would of course require removing the front fascia again, but it's aleady been off once. I have painted everthing black, so it blends in better. I will try to get a picture once the sun comes up.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Here is a picture of the finished front end. Please excuse the liquid sunshine we are having today. Also, In the unlikly event of a breakaway, the heavy duty coiled umbilical cable, will likely rip the license plate bracket off ( the cord is locked in to both recepticles) before the breakaway is activated. If that happens and the breakaway is attached to the same bracket, we have a problem. I would like mine set up such that, if the tow bar fails, before the saftey cables are at their full length, I want the breakaway activated. Hopefully, that way, the cherokee will stay with me. If the whole front end of the Cherokee comes off, similar to what happened to an Equinox recently, All bets are off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee-2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	91666  
Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Here is a picture of the finished front end. Please excuse the liquid sunshine we are having today. Also, In the unlikly event of a breakaway, the heavy duty coiled umbilical cable, will likely rip the license plate bracket off ( the cord is locked in to both recepticles) before the breakaway is activated. If that happens and the breakaway is attached to the same bracket, we have a problem. I would like mine set up such that, if the tow bar fails, before the saftey cables are at their full length, I want the breakaway activated. Hopefully, that way, the cherokee will stay with me. If the whole front end of the Cherokee comes off, similar to what happened to an Equinox recently, All bets are off.
You should have a hole in the back of your breakaway switch. If so, you can connect a length of stainless steel wire cable in that hole and attach the other end directly to the frame of the Jeep.

Something like this but cut from a bulk roll to your desired length:
EarthCo Shade Sails 4 ft. Stainless Steel Cable Kit-017 - The Home Depot
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Are you possibly referring to a Grand Cherokee? I had to cut the plastic grille below the license plate on my Cherokee for my lights, AF1 and break away connections.
I see the difference in your picture. Our Grand Cherokee Limited has openings there but no grill in the way of mounting the break-away switch or air connection for the air chamber that activates the Jeep brakes. You had very limited choices.

Tags
toad