Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #15

Go here

Transmission Discussion - 2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee Forums

to read about the problems

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #16

We have a 2014 Trailhawk. It was fine until they did a software update unbeknownst to us during a routine oil change. It's the R01 update causing many issues. They can say Jeep fixed all the problems with this transmission but they have not. Just tonight, I tried to quickly accelerate from a low speed to gain some speed to get across a line of traffic and it sat there revving the engine. I had traffic coming at me and my Jeep was moving just inches until it finally picked up enough that I could get to the turn lane and out of the way. This is the second time this has occurred in a week. Very scary!

My neighbor has a new Jeep Cherokee Limited with less than 2000 miles on it that she's had 4 weeks with so many transmission problems the dealership is taking it back and giving her a new one. She's taking the new one and trading it in immediately for something other than a Jeep and losing $5k on the deal.

These scenarios are not unusual. Read the Jeep forum and you will get a good idea of the issues. I'm sure they will offer huge incentives on these. We've had ours over a year and it has only 5k miles as it's our dedicated toad that is only driven occasionally. Never had an issue until the software update. Now we wonder if the transmission will last and wish we had gotten the Wrangler. We still may consider a Wrangler after the incident tonight. We should have stuck with the tried and true Wrangler!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem is the 9spd transmission software (and the 9sp is a new design). I read that all updates need to be approved by the EPA.

We have had the latest ECU TCU updates that came out in June 2014
IT actually made the problem worse.
My service writer claims that a new "FULL UPDATE" is in the works.
The fundamental issue is going into first gear. If your rolling at all, or switching from reverse to drive, there is a hesitation, and sometimes a good jerk when it goes into 1st, or jumps from 2nd down to first.

I can see this shortening transmission life over time.
I have even received several letters from law firm wanting to represent us.

My Plan is to wait awhile for another update, and it that does not happen, I will pursue a buyback (lemon law). I will go for the 8spd hemi in the Grand Cherokee.

Other than that, it is a great toad...but a little underpowered.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #18

4 wheel drive temporary unavailable

Now jeep is telling me the 4 wheel drive vehicle they sold me is really an all wheel drive vehicle. I said something wrong you sold me a four wheel drive vehicle no where did it say all wheel drive or else I would not have bought it.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #19

I was at our dealer the other day for an oil change, and asked if there were any tranny updates that would be applicable to our 2015 built in Dec. 2014, just out of curiosity, not that I have noticed any issues with it. And he replied that there were none.

However, he said that some older (2014s I will assume) simply have never been able to work right even with the various software updates, and that they have actually replaced some trannys with the newer ones to get final resolution. So if you are having problems with a 2014 that have not been corrected by the software updates, you may want to go back to your dealer and / or Jeep directly and inquire about the possibility of just getting a new tranny installed.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I was at our dealer the other day for an oil change, and asked if there were any tranny updates that would be applicable to our 2015 built in Dec. 2014, just out of curiosity, not that I have noticed any issues with it. And he replied that there were none.

However, he said that some older (2014s I will assume) simply have never been able to work right even with the various software updates, and that they have actually replaced some trannys with the newer ones to get final resolution. So if you are having problems with a 2014 that have not been corrected by the software updates, you may want to go back to your dealer and / or Jeep directly and inquire about the possibility of just getting a new tranny installed.
Now that is very interesting.... I have been calling my dealer every couple of weeks because he "says" ...."there is a major software update coming".

I will wait awhile for that update, and then push for a new tranny if that does not fix it (or no update is released).
The dealer admits a lot of complaints about the 1st/2nd gear jerking.
I would have thought that it is all software, and a new tranny would not help since it likely had the same software.

Thanks for the TIP.

Dan
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Now that is very interesting.... I have been calling my dealer every couple of weeks because he "says" ...."there is a major software update coming".

I will wait awhile for that update, and then push for a new tranny if that does not fix it (or no update is released).
The dealer admits a lot of complaints about the 1st/2nd gear jerking.
I would have thought that it is all software, and a new tranny would not help since it likely had the same software.

Thanks for the TIP.

Dan
They are putting in new 2015 trannys and software. I wonder if there was mechanical damage to the older trannys due to the software issue, and that while the software updates resolved that related problem, the internal damage was already done........
Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...Now jeep is telling me the 4 wheel drive vehicle they sold me is really an all wheel drive vehicle...
Clueless: Actually, it is a front wheel drive vehicle than can be an AWD or a 4WD vehicle. In "Auto" mode, it is front wheel drive. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These Cheeroke's have two type of drive systems.
Active Drive I & Active Drive II
Active Drive II has the recessed "Neutral" button for putting the transfer case into neutral for flat towing.

From the Jeep web site:
Three available systems for any occasion

The Jeep® Cherokee features leading capability with three innovative 4x4 systems. The Jeep® Active Drive II 4x4 available system with low-range is great for rock crawling and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV. The single-speed Jeep® Active Drive I 4x4 system with brake traction control is ideal for those who want something easy-to-use with all-weather capability. The Best-in-Class rear axle disconnect+ feature only engages 4x4 when necessary for greatly improved fuel efficiency+ Cherokee Trailhawk® features its standard Trail Rated® Jeep® Active Drive Lock 4x4 system with 4-Low and a rear locker.
Regards,

Dan
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Clueless: Actually, it is a front wheel drive vehicle than can be an AWD or a 4WD vehicle. In "Auto" mode, it is front wheel drive. \ken
That is not what jeep told me they told me my jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive is all wheel drive if I want a four wheel I would have to trade my jeep in. And buy a four wheel drive vehicle
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #25

And I had the transmission updates in July. My jeep is a 2015 with active drive one
Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless NJ View Post
That is not what jeep told me they told me my jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive is all wheel drive if I want a four wheel I would have to trade my jeep in. And buy a four wheel drive vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless NJ View Post
And I had the transmission updates in July. My jeep is a 2015 with active drive one
You are getting all caught up in irrelevant nuances here on 4x4 and all wheel drive, but not sure about any transmission software upgrades that you may have had.

Here is an explanation of the Jeep 4 wheel drive systems. As a side note, if you have Active Drive I it is not flat towable which is probably related your concerns and miss understanding of the systems.

4x4

JEEP® ACTIVE DRIVE I 4X4 SYSTEM
The Jeep® Active Drive I 4x4 system features a class-exclusive rear axle disconnect+ feature that only engages when necessary for improved fuel efficiency. A Selec-Terrain® traction management system gives you all-weather capability in four modes: Auto, Snow, Sport and Sand/Mud. A standard Brake Lock Differential works with the advanced 4x4 system to provide outstanding capability for anything Mother Nature sends your way.

JEEP® ACTIVE DRIVE II 4X4 SYSTEM
The Jeep® Active Drive II 4x4 system includes all the features of the Jeep Active Drive I 4x4 system and adds a low range for added capability. The 4WD Low mode is great for extra-low-speed traction and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV. A remarkable 56:1 crawl ratio allows a more controlled throttle response at lower speeds. The Selec-Terrain® traction management system includes: Auto, Snow, Sport and Sand/Mud modes for added all-weather capability.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has to have the ability to shift into neutral to be flat towable. If there is no neutral position, it should not be flat towed. And remember to leave the transmission itself in Park.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #28

My vehicle can not be towed it has to be placed on a trailer. The issue is my four wheel drive does not work when I drive on the beach. I get a display that says four wheel drive temporary unavailable. Jeep saying they can not fix it because there are no error codes. Now they are saying that my car is all wheel drive and not 4 wheel drive and it is working correctly. I told them the four wheel drive goes out I have to dig it out of the sand. They tell me that my vehicle is not four wheel drive if I want a four wheel drive to trade my vehicle in for a four wheel drive. That is jeep s words concerning active drive one. And four wheel drive

Tags
transmission