Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

2015 Jeep Cherokee Transmission Issues

I know several people on IRV2 have said that they are using the New Jeep Cherokee either Latitude or Trailhawk 4WD's as Toads. Interesting thing is that when we were looking at them we really liked them and are still deciding between the Cherokee and the Wrangler Unlimited. When we were leaving the Salesman made an odd comment "if you read up on the Cherokee reviews disregard the transmission issues as Jeep has fixed that problem".

I did read the reviews and about half the people were complaining that they had to have a transmission replacement in the first few thousand miles. Some of the reviews were done as late as this week. They are really pushing the Cherokees with huge discounts. So my question is those of you that have them are you experiencing transmission issues(or any quality issues) and have you had any issues using them as a toad. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #2

I cannot answer your direct questions, but I just went through the same process and analysis. I originally wanted the trailhawk, but purchased the Jeep Grand Cherokee limited.

Yesterday, I installed the Blue Ox Avail towbar and the Air Force One brake system. I have now towed the whole setup a total of 4 miles!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had our 2015 TrailHawk exactly 6 months and 10,000 miles. Not a single problem. Is a great lifestyle vehicle for us. /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a few issues with the car. Most of which I created by not following the procedure correctly. I had an engine malfunction indicator because I did not have it in the correct gear before starting the engine after taking it out of Tow Mode.
I did also have an issue with the dash going blank due to a connector coming loose. The only other issue was the battery going dead after being towed but this was the same time the dash went blank from the connector coming loose.
The 9 speed transmission does have its quirkiness at times but is very responsive and smooth depending on the driver. I still haven't been able to get it into 9th but Oh well.
I have the 3.2ltr V6 and get 17MPG around town and about 26mpg on the highway. Love the car and rides smooth, I do wish they had some the options available now when I went to get mine, ie cooled front seats.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does The Jeep Renegade Have A 9-Speed Automatic Problem, Too?

Sounds like the 9 speed is a bit of a problem. I'd call a few transmission shops and ask them about Chrysler / Jeep transmissions...
Old 06-19-2015, 02:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Does The Jeep Renegade Have A 9-Speed Automatic Problem, Too?

Sounds like the 9 speed is a bit of a problem. I'd call a few transmission shops and ask them about Chrysler / Jeep transmissions...
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, SWMbO and I were thinking about getting a Renegade, Maybe not, or we have gone this long without a toad almost 10 years now we can wait a little longer,
Thank You
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Not one problem towed mine 70 time for a total of 12,225 miles - My wife would tell you I spend too much time one here - I have not seen any threads on transmission problems - I have 3 Cherokee's on my block of townhouses
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

Not one problem with mine either. We have the Cherokee Limited. It only has 5,000 miles on it, with another 1,000 as a towed. We love it. That being said, I do worry about transmission problems.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

I have many problems with the Jeep Cherokee with Active Drive II as a toad.
The indicator lights for ESC (electronic stability control) comes on when I hook up and stays on after towing. It goes off on its own. Can't get it to go off by pushing the off button on the dash.
The dash says, "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE". How is this possible? It's supposed to be a full time four wheel drive.
The most frustrating problem is that the Jeep will unexpectedly start swerving back and forth, rocking the motor home left and right. The rocking gets worse. The only way to stop this is to come to a complete stop. Let's hope you have someplace to pull over. The first time this happened, I thought that I had blown a pair of dually wheels on the coach, it was that bad.
Many other owners have had this happen to them, as well. Google for it.
It happens on different makes and types of coaches (diesel pushers, front gas). Different towbar systems, different braking systems. The only constant is Jeep Cherokees (2014-15)
Jeep service departments are at a loss.
I pulled this for over 8,000 mi. before it happened. (This is not unusual. Others have seen this as well.)
Precipitating factors vary. It can not be duplicated.
I would not recommend this vehicle until Jeep gets this sorted-out.

John
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

I assume you have seen my thread about towing a 2015 Cherokee 4 down..... Once I got that one issue of ensuring I shift quickly between N and P, all is good.

It has been towed on all 5 trips we have made and 2500 miles, with no other issues. Even did a little off roading in the Smokies earlier this week!

We really like our 2015 Trailhawk, I think even more than the 2012 Mercedes GLK 350 4Matic we traded in with only 20,000 miles since it could not be towed 4 down.

As for the tranny issues, I think that is really a 2104 model year problem, the first year for the high tech 9 speed. I also understand that the tranny / transfer case in the new Renegade does not allow you to tow 4 down. I would suggest downloading the owners manual from jeep.com to confirm.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post
The indicator lights for ESC (electronic stability control) comes on when I hook up and stays on after towing. It goes off on its own. Can't get it to go off by pushing the off button on the dash.
The dash says, "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE". How is this possible? It's supposed to be a full time four wheel drive.
The most frustrating problem is that the Jeep will unexpectedly start swerving back and forth, rocking the motor home left and right. The rocking gets worse. The only way to stop this is to come to a complete stop. Let's hope you have someplace to pull over. The first time this happened, I thought that I had blown a pair of dually wheels on the coach, it was that bad.
It happens on different makes and types of coaches (diesel pushers, front gas). Different towbar systems, different braking systems. The only constant is Jeep Cherokees (2014-15)
I pulled this for over 8,000 mi. before it happened. (This is not unusual. Others have seen this as well.)

John

Now that is funny I just called Jeep and they told me they never heard of this problem. I have a Jeep Cherokee Limited, Active drive 1, I was on the beach and had the 4 wheel drive become temporarily unaviable and the electronic stability control activiation / malfunction light illuminate, had to the dealer 4 times no resulotion, Jeep's answer offer me 5 years of Oil changes for free. HUH? You sell a vehicle saying it can go on the beach, you refuse to tow it if it breaks down on the beach and you say it is ok just don't go on the beach HUH?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post

John
Well, it's not a FULL Time 4WD system. the system will go into 4X4 when needed, it's actually a front wheel drive car.
What type of Tow Bar system are you using?
Is it setup correctly, as in is it too high or too low. This will cause the Deaf Wooble behind the MH if it is not set at the correct height.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

I had the ESC and 4 wheel drive unavailable issue as well with my 2015 Trailhawk. The problem turned out to be a bad wheel speed sensor on one wheel. Once the dealer replaced it, the problem never returned. It did take the dealer over a week to get in the replacement sensor and fix the car which was annoying. So far we have not had the death wobble when towing, knock on wood!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #14

2015 transmission issues

I have had my Cherokee limited since January 2015. The transmission is jumpy in the early gears it will pause the all of sudden surge and accelerate real fast. I had the fix. It still is doing the same thing. And jeep is refusing to fix my 4 wheel drive issue. I have been offered the service plan to go away. I already have that plan.
Even though we all know it is sensor of some sort. I have even offered to drive the vehicle down to the location with a service advisor so the problem can be replicated. They are refusing

Tags
transmission