Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have read on this forum about the Death Wobble caused by the EPS on 2016 and later Grand Cherokee. My 2015 has a electric power steering pump, as shown. How do you tell if it is the EPS ? My manual has no reference to a EPS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_074126.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	224875  
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #2

Howdy, first time I’ve checked this part of the board. I haven’t heard anything about a death wobble with the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee I bought new in 2016 and have pulled it behind my MH for about 12000 miles with no issues. Good luck and happy trails!

Don & Genah
Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topworth View Post
Howdy, first time I’ve checked this part of the board. I haven’t heard anything about a death wobble with the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee I bought new in 2016 and have pulled it behind my MH for about 12000 miles with no issues. Good luck and happy trails!

Don & Genah
Does yours have an electric pump as shown in my picture?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Yes I think it does. This is anphoto I just took. Hoping this shows up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4807.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	225014
Old 11-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topworth View Post
Yes I think it does. This is anphoto I just took. Hoping this shows up. Attachment 225014

I should say, I don’t know. Seems to have the same thing as in your photo, but I don’t know exactly what’s what. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

I have been looking at getting a Grand Cherokee Summit. So I have been reading up on this.

It looks like the wire harness to fix the issue isn't needed on a Grand Cherokee. I also read on FMCA that 20 or so people have complained about the issue on newer Grand Cherokee. But also said many more use them without issue. Based on what I have read the issue hits when slow turns were made on rough surfaces.

I do want to know if they have a steering stabilizer. Can anyone comment on that? I think a stronger one could help.

Also how is the ride and build quality? We have a 2005 Range Rover that has served us well, last year that they could be flat towed. It still rides like new, has no squeaks but is missing a few bells and whistles that newer cars have. It towed great but its 3 plus tons and basic repairs are sketchy due to the lack of German repair facilities when traveling. RR was all BMW until 2005.

I wanted to know about how well it rode with air suspension (RR huge plus) the fit and finish and overall quality.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Hi Mark, I can not help much. Mine is a limited model so no air suspension. No steering stabilization. As far as rough pavement and slow turns I haven’t experienced any issues at all. As far as fit and finish and ride, I’ve been very pleased, but I’m not super picky. Good luck
Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

I have the same setup with my Jeep. No problems with 23000 miles of towing. While I don't know much about eps, I do not think this is eps. Rather, it is an electric pump instead of a belt driven pump. This electric pump still uses fluid to move the steering. This fluid provides resistive mass for the steering wheel while the Jeep is being towed.

EPS will not use any fluid, so the wheels are free to flop around.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #9

My understanding on the so-called Death Wobble problem is experienced on the Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee.

I tow a 2011 Grand Cherokee with SMI braking system behind my gas rig and have no problems. A friend of mine towed a 2014 GC with the fancy leveling option behind his diesel pusher . Also had no problems.

Perhaps a call to Fiat/Chrysler customer service is in order to find out if later models are OK. My experience with them has been first class.

There is much confusion with folks mixing up the Cherokee with the Grand Cherokee. Two very different SUVs.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #10

Mark D

" Also how is the ride and build quality? We have a 2005 Range Rover that has served us well, last year that they could be flat towed. It still rides like new, has no squeaks but is missing a few bells and whistles that newer cars have. It towed great but its 3 plus tons and basic repairs are sketchy due to the lack of German repair facilities when traveling. RR was all BMW until 2005."

We have 2015 Grand Cherokee - towed about 15k miles with no issue.

This is a great highway vehicle. When I first drove it, reminded me a lot of my BMW X5. Turns out than when Chrysler was owned by Daimler for a few years, they developed the GC platform alongside the Mercedes SUV - definitely a German feel on the road !

Build quality is OK. No major issues in 40000 miles.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #12

My '18 GC Limited is a really nice highway car, as was my '15 GC Limited diesel. I just don't like the gas pedal feel on the '18 with the V6. The engine has a good reputation, but the pedal response is odd. Sort of feels like too little too little too little then jumps to pedal-to-the-metal. After a year I'm still not quite used to it. The diesel, on the other hand, felt like any other engine; more predictable.

But I only tow with it. I don't tow it, so no help on the PS Death Wobble part.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
My '18 GC Limited is a really nice highway car, as was my '15 GC Limited diesel. I just don't like the gas pedal feel on the '18 with the V6. The engine has a good reputation, but the pedal response is odd. Sort of feels like too little too little too little then jumps to pedal-to-the-metal. After a year I'm still not quite used to it. The diesel, on the other hand, felt like any other engine; more predictable.

But I only tow with it. I don't tow it, so no help on the PS Death Wobble part.
Thank you, looks like we will be getting a GC. I will miss the tank feel of our Range Rover but such is life.

The V6 is a turbo and you may be use to the diesel jump from torque.

Many years ago I raced Porsche Cup cars and also did racing instructions. There is a 911 model called the neck breaker or window maker. Single turbo, lag then it would jump 150 to 200 hp. You needed to keep cars like that in the higher RPM or it was twitchy.

Not sure if it's a comparison feel or if the V6 has a standard single turbo vs a variable. Try to to stab and back off.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wanted to offer that I have a 2018 GC Trailhawk, has the airbags and the rest of the toys! I am not towing it as have a Wrangler for that but so far very happy with how solid this car drives. One of the plusses of the EPS is the adjustable feel of the steering, Has normal, sport and comfort settings. Use the sport gives a great solid feel.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote