Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Shifter recall

Just got the letter saying that my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee needs a software update to put the car in "Auto Park" if the driver fails to put the trans in Park prior to leaving the vehicle. They had some problems with this and the car rolling because it was not truly in Park when some people exited. The electronic shifter is not intuitive.

I flat tow this vehicle so I called Chrysler Recall Dept. to ask if this update will have any issues with flat towing. I sure don't want to find out later that the transmission is not in neutral when towing and that I have ruined the transmission. The agent answering the phone checked with her supervisor and came back to tell me that they have not heard of any issues and that I should call them back if any arise. Somehow, I don't find that very reassuring. I asked to talk with an engineer but they don't have any in their dept.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this software update regarding flat towing?

FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I have a 2015 GC and noticed the shift issue from day one however. My wife and I both are very aware we need to make sure we are in fact in park each time.

I am not ready for a dealer to mess up my ability to flat tow so early. The information I received also included the correct steps to follow and so it was more of a awareness thing for me at this point. I think they are still working on a better fix because the software fix I believe is just a temporary thing.

Basically I am not okay with their proposed fix at this time.

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #3

Electronic shifter recall

Absolutely agree.
FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBoy View Post
Just got the letter saying that my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee needs a software update to put the car in "Auto Park" if the driver fails to put the trans in Park prior to leaving the vehicle. They had some problems with this and the car rolling because it was not truly in Park when some people exited. The electronic shifter is not intuitive.

I flat tow this vehicle so I called Chrysler Recall Dept. to ask if this update will have any issues with flat towing. I sure don't want to find out later that the transmission is not in neutral when towing and that I have ruined the transmission. The agent answering the phone checked with her supervisor and came back to tell me that they have not heard of any issues and that I should call them back if any arise. Somehow, I don't find that very reassuring. I asked to talk with an engineer but they don't have any in their dept.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this software update regarding flat towing?
we have a 2015 Grand Cherokee,thinking about the software update...and not knowing for sure....you put the transfer..the button we push and then message says transfer in neutral.....then you put shifter in park.....so would be the same...yes??
Chuck
Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

Agree with previous posts.....we are very cautious when placing Jeep in park, during regular driving. Not ready to have dealer reflash just yet. Concerned there could be some unintended glitches which might prevent flat towing. Going to wait a few months to see if others have issues.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
To tow, the Transfer case is what is put in neutral not the transmission. The transmission is put in Park. So this update should not be an issue with towing.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

I would be quite cautious with this issue. Remember the 2014 computer update that caused Jeeps to become non- flat towable? The update was not reversible, the only solution was to buy a used TCM module that had not been updated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

Sorry for this, but what's happening to common sense, where people verify what they are doing.
I remember in the early 80's, where a new car, reposition the petals, by about a 1 inch. Guess what?? , People were hitting the accelerator instead of the brake. There was no recall on this one.
We also verify that we are in Park, prior to leaving the auto. Same as when we are parking the Rv. Neither one of us stands directly in the back of the Rv. We make sure we can see each other in the side mirrors.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
does anyone use their emergency hand brake as a back up feature?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

That poorly designed "shift lever" was the only reason DW didn't buy a new Jeep this year; instead she bought a new Lincoln MKZ AWD that is flat-towable. Oddly enough, the Lincoln was the same price as the new Jeep.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBoy View Post

I had the update done last week. A short tow test worked fine... no difference for flat towing.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I had the update done last week. A short tow test worked fine... no difference for flat towing.
Excellent and thank you for that update. I may schedule mine soon as well.

With the update what if anything did you notice that is different ?
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #13

When you put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission is also in neutral and the engine is running. When you press on the start button to turn the engine off, the transmission automatically shifts to park and you get a message that the vehicle is ready to tow. The start button is pressed again to turn the vehicle completely off. I just picked up my 2015 (used) so I don't know if the update was done or not.

Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall