Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Entegra Owners Club
2015 Jeep Renegade - 4 Down Towable?

Anyone come accross any info regarding which (if any) versions of the Renegade are 4 down towable?

If it were up to me I'd get the Wrangler, but the DW is not comfortable in it, so I was looking at the Patriot, Kia Soul and a couple of others. The Renegade has the features and I assume that the manual transmission would be towable, however, the one I really like is the Trailhawk and I am not so sure that would be suitable 4D.

Anyone that might have so info on this model from the MH perspective would be appreciated.

MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 2014 it depended on the transfer case

2WD, not towable
AWD, not towable
4wd with manual transfer case: towable

I strongly suspect this applies to 2015's as well

Source: Jeep owner's manual,,, When I buried my wife's ashes and did a whole bunch of running around Enterprise picked me up in a nice brand new jeep with by the time we got back to the store 12 miles on it.

I read the manual.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

If you go to the FMCA website, you will find a comprehensive evaluation of vehiches suited for towing.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
The Renegade is a brand new model for 2015, based on a Fiat platform, I think. Don't count on any history of other Jeep models being applicable for the Renegade. Until Jeep releases info specific to the Renegade, no one knows.
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The new Jeep Cherokee has their 2014 off-road Trailhawk version. It is towable 4 down as it comes with the Active Drive II system with a "transfer case" neutral position. More wife friendly than the more traditional Jeep Wrangler style.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If it's based on the Fiat platform, I will be surprised if it is flat towable. I know the lower end Jeeps (Compass, Latitude, Patriot) were not flat towable except in manual transmission versions.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Have you seen the Renegade? Putting a Jeep grill in it does not disguise the fact that it looks like something you'd see on the streets of Italy - 40 years ago.

Any sold will be on the strength of the brand, certainly not on any aesthetic appeal, and while I've read they plan a "trail rated" model, well, lets just say I'm skeptical.

Go for the Cherokee if the Wrangler isn't comfortable for you. JMHO
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jim,

Are you talking about the new Cherokee or the recently announced Renegade???

As stated the Renegade has not even been produced yet (pre-production only) and will hit the European market first this fall then the USA shores later on. Also, no firm evidence yet that it will be available in any form for 4-down towing.

The new 2014 Cherokee is turning out to be popular but you must be careful on the drivetrain selection to get one that will tow 4-down. Not all models and variations will work.

1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote