Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
2015 Jeep set up

I'm looking for advice on what equipment you have used and found successful for Jeeps.

We've closed a deal for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the select II transmission which provides for RV towing.

Our intent is to tow this behind our Greyhawk C MH.

We appreciate hearing from the benefit of your experience.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
I took a very simple approach to our tow set up.

I told my dealer that I wanted what they thought was best / easy to use, and that they feel most comfortable with installing on our 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. I wanted to leverage thier expertise not be my own "expert" and have them install something they were not familiar with. It is just a tow bar and brake system that you want to work properly and be simple to use.

Ended up with a Blue Ox bar set up, and SMI Stay N Play brake system which seem to get positive reviews, so I felt comfortable with thier recommendation. One thing that I really do like about the SMI stay and play is that it requires both a "momentum change" and application of the brakes in the MH to engage the road brakes.

Works great and takes no time at all to hook up.

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
For my 2015 Cherokee Trail hawk, I went with a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the integrated Ready Brake, the breakaway kit, Blue Ox baseplates, and Roadmaster diode lighting kit and relay. It took me a day and a half to install everything and was not too difficult. I like the simplicity of the integrated supplemental surge brakes and the ease of hook up. Total cost of everything was about $1700. I have heard that there may now be a plug and play toad lighting kit that would make the wiring job easier. If you go this route, it is much easier to install the Ready Brake cable and breakaway kit at the same time as the baseplates when the front fascia is off. There are installation instructions and videos on the web that explain most of the component installations if you do a little searching.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I have been towing our 2014 Cherokee since May of 2014 and have put on over 13,000 towed miles with no towing issues. It has worked wonderful.

There is an ongoing thread on what is called the Death Wobble. it appears to occur infrequently. No one knows what is causing it. You might want to read some of the threads and see if you can avoid anything that those folks are using.

I have been using and have success with the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, roadmaster base plate, SMI air force one brake, roadmaster guardian and roadmaster defender for protecting the Jeep. I also have the diode installation for the lights.

Setup is easy and very rugged and would highly recommend this setup. I know there are many happy users of other brands of equipment. Roadmaster and Blue Ox are the most common brands I see in my travels.

Stuart & Leslie
08 Holiday Ramb Navigator, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600, 2014 Cherokee Limited, Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full-timing since May 2014
S-n-L is offline   Reply With Quote