Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #1

2015 Jeep Trailhawk toad

Just took possession of a 2015 Jeep Trailhawk. It will be pulled by a Dutchstar.
Been researching supplemental break systems for toads and not sure what will work with this vehicle. I haven't started calling manufacturers yet. That's next.
RV1 - there is no area at seat pan for unit to rest against. Don't want to start cutting carpet and mounting angle brackets.
SMI AF1 - not much room under hood and break pedal arm is not a flat piece of steel but a large stamped bracket so don't see how a clamp would work on this bracket.
M & G - nope
Invisibrake - not interested.
Ready Brake - Maybe. The clamp does not look like it will go around the brake arm. Watched a video where it went thru the brake pedal.

So has anyone else successfully installed a braking system on this vehicle and like the results?
If you can share what worked I would love to know.

Thanks
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trailhawk is a easy install for AF1. Use 2 metal bar spacers to even out the lip on the brake arm.
I mounted the control box in front of the radiator, zip tied to grill support cross member.

You will be removing the entire splash pan and bumper when you install the tow bar.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2014 trail hawk that is being outfitted tomorrow. I bought the AF1 system. I will let you know how it looks. I'm going to be using RoadMaster tow bars.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
RV1 - there is no area at seat pan for unit to rest against. Don't want to start cutting carpet and mounting angle brackets.
I installed the RVi Brake in our 2015 Cherokee Limited. The lack of a seat pan rise does not really pose a problem. They will send you a bracket (free) that slides in under the seat tracks. I have not installed in permanently yet. but it does not move, once everythng is installed. You will also need the larger clevis on the end of the arm for the brake pedal (also supplied by them for free). RVi Brake is easy to install. set it down, hook it to the brake pedal, plug it in and push the button 3 times. Done.

I don't believe the the Trailhawk has the active shutters on the 4 cyl engine, so that will make running the breakaway switch easier.

If you decide to go with the RVi, give them a call, tell them you have a Cherokee Trailhawk and they eill send you what you need. Great people to work with.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #5

We use the rvi brake on our trailhawk. Their customer service is great. Call them and they'll send you the bracket for the seat pan and the larger bracket for the Cherokee's brake pedal.
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the Blue Ox Patriot system on our 2015 Trailhawk. The unit from the factory needs no modification (nor does the Jeep). Out of the box, fits perfectly on the floor in front of driver seat. Connection to brake pedal is snug and sturdy. Be sure to use the power outlet inside the console to charge it. /ken

PS. When we move the unit between the TrailHawk and the Wrangler, we do have to adjust the back plate on the Patriot so the fit against the driver's seat is snug; adjustment is easy-peasey.
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #7

The RVi adjusts itself! That's one of the functions of pressing the button 3 times. Also like the idea of the box being anchored against a hard surface. Having never used one of the big box type brakes, I do not speak from experience with them. I do have experience with the RVi unit, and it works well. Since the Cherokee doesn't have a seat pan lip, you do have to install the bracket they supply. You can do it permanently or for each time. It slides under the seat tracks. You will also need to install a different clevis to fit the larger brake pedal of the Cherokee, which is also supplied with the RVi unit. The install process is set it on the floor, attach the clevis to the pedal, plug it in to the 12 volt source and push the button 3 times. You're done.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

Unified Tow Brake anyone?

Heres the system I'm considering.
Unified tow brake from Smart Brake LLC.
Since I have the pre-wired setup for the brake controller its a bit easier to install.
Ill be calling Smart Brake to find out some more details.
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

2007 Brake Buddy Vantage
Used it on a 2005 Honda CR-V for 8 years
Using it on a 2015 Cherokee now
Brake Buddy sent a wider clevis for the Cherokee no charge
Works great in both vehicles
OT-RoadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Trailhawk is a easy install for AF1. Use 2 metal bar spacers to even out the lip on the brake arm.
I mounted the control box in front of the radiator, zip tied to grill support cross member.

You will be removing the entire splash pan and bumper when you install the tow bar.

Regards,

Dan
x3

Towed mine 69 times for a total of 12,225 miles ( retired CPA I have spreadsheets on everything)
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've go the BrakeMaster setup and have towed it over 10k miles without issue. There was that one time I forgot to hookup the brake and I didn't realize it until I got to where I was going.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #12

I have the Invisibrake. The way that Camping World wired it, it sets off codes and the ESC light comes on. I get a warning that the "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE" even when it is IN 4 wheel drive. (Not transfer case neutral)
Many Latitude owners also have a problem with the Jeep unexpectedly rocking the Motor home left and right so violently that we have to pull over and come to a complete stop to regain control. I don't know how a 4,000 lb dinghy can rock a 15,000+ lb motor home!
It happens with different brands and types of motor homes (front gas, rear diesel), different brands of towbars and braking systems.
I can not recommend this vehicle until Jeep gets problems sorted=out.
WhatDoIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad