Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 KIA SOUL Tow Car

I have a Fleetwood Bounder (2006) 35E. After a lot of investigtion, i just purchased a 2015 KIA SOUL for a Tow car. It is just the simple version with a manual 6-spd) transmission.
Anyway, I had the dealer commit to installing the towing connections (baseplate, connectors, and electrical).
If you know CW, then you will understand when I chuckle at their promise that "the parts will be delivered in 7-10 days" LOL!
I have my old Falcon II tow bar that I will be using when I hit the road again next month.
SO, of course, I would love some useful feedback;

1- does anyone else tow a Kia Soul and can they tell me the good and the bad of my decision?
2- what is a good but very inexpensive (and legal) tow brake system I can get for my new Kia Soul? PS, I have a RoadMaster brake system installed in my RV.

Any information, good or bad, would be great.
Thanks, Ramblingdon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

I would check out the NSA surge brake, saw my first one in Florida last month and if something happens to what I have now I'll probably get the NSA. Save

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good toad. Have been considering and researching one.

Agree with checking out the ReadyBrake. I have one waiting for me to install it. Replacing a Brake Buddy, which works fine, but don't like having to put it in/out and stow it somewhere.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

IMO, please take any negative comments to my post elsewhere.

We have pulled our Soul thousands of miles. A great toad IMO. After checking the State weight requirements for tow vehicle brake requirements, only a few States require a tow brake on vehicles weighing under a certain weight, I checked and I don't have all the weight details right now because the Soul was under the weight requirement for most States, so I didn't worry about it. I know I will get blasted by many of the know it all's here for saying that, as I often do. Bottom line is it works great for me and I don't use a tow break, and after towing it thousands of miles in all conditions and roads I still don't feel I need a brake system for it, that's IMO.

I don't know the weight of the 2015 Soul, you may be above the State minimums requiring a brake system.

We also put two kayaks on top and three bikes on the back adding 150LB. I also have an old Falcon II tow bar purchased used. If and when I upgrade to newer my next toad will be another Soul.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for the quick response. As I mentioned, my Kia Soul only weighs in at 2708 pounds.

After your comments, my wife looked on the web and found a link to brake buddy which lists all of the state requirements in a handy color chart.

Here is the link; Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

For me, I mostly run the Southeast from VA to FL and all of the coastal states from PA to Fl (except Delaware (10k-pound ??) and NC (4000-pound) have a 3000-pound limit for a"semi, trailer or separate vehicle attached by a tow bar or coupling to a vehicle of at least 4000-pounds, and every house trailer weighing at least 1000-pounds.".

Anyway, everyone should click on the link for the exact details.

Ramblingdon
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info. We too, have purchased a 2015 manual Soul with the intent of towing. I've installed the Blue Ox base plate and such, but have found no info on how to set the Soul up to tow. Key on acc, etc. Help please. When I asked the service advisor at the dealership, they said sure you can tow, just have it in neutral, brake off, and the steering wheel unlocked. Can it be sooo simple? Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The Ready Brake (or Ready Brute tow bar w/brake) from Night Shift Auto is the most cost effective tow bar & brake set-up around.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm737 View Post
Thanks for all the info. We too, have purchased a 2015 manual Soul with the intent of towing. I've installed the Blue Ox base plate and such, but have found no info on how to set the Soul up to tow. Key on acc, etc. Help please. When I asked the service advisor at the dealership, they said sure you can tow, just have it in neutral, brake off, and the steering wheel unlocked. Can it be sooo simple? Thanks
Yep, it's that simple. One thing though, you don't need to leave the key in ACC to release the steering wheel. Just turn the key to ON, then turn the key to OFF, DO NOT remove the key. The steering wheel will stay unlocked until the key is removed from the ignition.
It's that simple...
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's the way I understand it.

The main thing to be watched is to assure the Steering is unlocked.
If it is not, you will eat up the tires pretty fas because they will be dragging, misaligned, down the road rather than turning free and self-aligning as you take turns and such.

So, the thing to control is the fact that vehicles today have locking steering when the key is removed and the electrical is turned off.

The recommendation I got is to;

1- Hookup the TOAD, ready to tow.

2- Turn ON your TOAD engine, and turn the wheels straight.

3- Turn OFF all electrical accessories in your TOAD; Radio, Fan, lights, etc. With the key still ON they will all be receiving power from the battery

4- Place the TOAD in Neutral and release the Emergency Brake. (The toad might move a little now that it is free-wheeling, but the hitch will hold the car, so don't worry.

5- turn OFF the Engine, but only ONE-CLICK, because the steering lock must still get power.

6- turn the steering wheel to the left and then to the right and then straight again. It should move freely and not lock in any position.

TIPS WHILE DRIVING;

A- I tie a white rag to the top of my TOAD steering wheel, then when I look in my RV's rear camera, I can easily see that the steering wheel is turning, as it should.

B- Because I am leaving the key ON, I never tow over 4-5 hours before I stop and run the TOAD engine for about 30-minutes to keep the TOAD battery charged for your next driving stint. Rest Areas are great for this.

C- As I pull out, to hit the road, and if there is room, I make sure to make a good left turn and a good right turn to assure that the steering on my TOAD is moving freely.

D- If I am overnighting in a public place like a Rest Area, or a Walmart, I remove the key (after charging the battery for the next day) and lock my TOADs doors to make sure it is still going to be there the next morning.

Good Luck,
Ramblingdon
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblingdon View Post
I have a Fleetwood Bounder (2006) 35E. After a lot of investigtion, i just purchased a 2015 KIA SOUL for a Tow car. It is just the simple version with a manual 6-spd) transmission.
Anyway, I had the dealer commit to installing the towing connections (baseplate, connectors, and electrical).
If you know CW, then you will understand when I chuckle at their promise that "the parts will be delivered in 7-10 days" LOL!
I have my old Falcon II tow bar that I will be using when I hit the road again next month.
SO, of course, I would love some useful feedback;

1- does anyone else tow a Kia Soul and can they tell me the good and the bad of my decision?
2- what is a good but very inexpensive (and legal) tow brake system I can get for my new Kia Soul? PS, I have a RoadMaster brake system installed in my RV.

Any information, good or bad, would be great.
Thanks, Ramblingdon
We tow a 2015 Kia Soul, we really like it with the 6 speed standard lots of fun to drive, I also added factory cruse ( about $70 including ship) and the deluxe arm rest along with door lock key fob for ease of locking all doors and hatch with the key fob, I will past a link to the cruse control install info and same forum has the info on the arm rest and door lock install.
2014 Soul Base Add Cruise Control

On the toad brake we use a Roadmaster Brakkemaster because of the ease of transfer from one toad to the other it may or may not be required but I feel it has saved us a couple times on getting stopped rather than hitting the in one case the 18 wheeler in front of us on I 10 just east of Baton Rouge LA

I will also clip a file from KIa stating that the 2014 and 2015 Kia Soul 6 speed standard are approved for towing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia towing 2015 TSB.pdf (642.9 KB, 91 views)
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

Why brakes in Kia Soul when towing?

I also just purchased a 2015 Kia Soul, and plan to tow it 4-down behind my Class C M/H, with no brake system on it, because it only weighs 2,750 pounds, and from what I have read you don't need a brake system in a towed vehicle that weighs less than 3,000 pounds.
Please tell me if I am missing something, because we leave Texas for Maine on the first of August this year.
Thanking you in advance,
GunNut11
Old 06-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

Stick shift Kia, I presume.

If it is a Ford based MH, the brakes on Class Cs are adequate for the MH, but IMOH, not up to the challenge of towing an extra 3000 lbs.

I have an E450 and tow a Soul, on a dolly. When coming off a freeway, I appreciate the surge breaks assistance, in slowing us down.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Gun on your tow lights the Peterson V426KR tail and turn signal round lights will fit in the round holes where the red reflectors are, just remove the reflectors and install the Peterson lights and the black rubber cover in the holes. My toad brake is air actuated and if I have the brakes mashed on the coach and a turn signal on the toad brakes will cover up the turn signal if I use the toad tail lights with diodes or a add a bulb.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I agree with you, and we should all remember that even though the Kia is a light-weight TOAD at 2700+ pounds, it is still a formidable weight tied to the back of your Rig.

So, if you are towing one, without brakes, like I do, you must always be aware that your Rig will not stop as quickly as it did without the extra weight to slow down.

And, you should also be aware that stopping often with the extra load, with or without a supplemental braking system is harder on your brakes, so get them checked often.

Ramblingdon
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
2015 Kia Soul TOAD

Tags
tow