Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

2016 Canyon/Colorado Odometer When Towed?

Going to be towing my new Canyon soon.

Can anybody tell me if the odometer in the 2016 Canyon (4WD, Auto) accumulates mileage when being towed?

The thought is "No" due to the battery disconnect

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Correct! I understand disconnecting the battery will prevent mileage accumulation. Are you having a disconnect switch installed to do this automatically?
mstrphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

Yes…. when I get the truck, still waiting for the Duramax Canyon. Looked at a few disconnects, probably go with the Battery Brain. Ive saw that somebody mentioned that unit somewhere on the site. Looks like a nice affordable simple unit.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Folks parked next to us here in Key West are flat towing a 2016 Canyon. He says the instructions are pretty exacting and must be followed exactly. Involves turning the key on and off a set number of times and lowering and raising the drivers side window.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #5

Well that sounds a bit scary!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #6

To dinghy tow:

1. Position the vehicle being towed behind the tow vehicle, facing forward and on a level surface.

2. Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle.

3. Apply the parking brake and start the engine.

4. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral). See “Shifting into N (Neutral)” under Four-Wheel Drive 0 225ii. Check that the vehicle is in N (Neutral) by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse) and then to D

(Drive). There should be no movement of the vehicle while shifting.

5. Shift the transmission into D (Drive). Turn the engine off. Then shift the transmission into P (Park).

6. Wait for at least 10 seconds, then restart the engine.

7. Shift the transmission to D (Drive), then turn the engine off again.

Caution

Failure to disconnect the negative battery cable or to have it contact the terminals can cause damage to the vehicle.

8. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and secure the nut and bolt. Cover the negative battery post with a non-conductive material to prevent any contact with the negative battery terminal.

9. Shift the transmission to P (Park).

Caution

If the steering column is locked, vehicle damage may occur.

10. Move the steering wheel to make sure the steering column is unlocked.

11. With a foot on the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Keep the ignition key in the towed vehicle in ACC/ ACCESSORY to prevent the steering column from locking
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Reading that makes me glad I tow a CRV and a headache
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Reading that makes me glad I tow a CRV and a headache
Yeah but you can't tow a 2016 CRV.
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Yes…. when I get the truck, still waiting for the Duramax Canyon. Looked at a few disconnects, probably go with the Battery Brain. Ive saw that somebody mentioned that unit somewhere on the site. Looks like a nice affordable simple unit.
I have a 2015 Colorado with the Battery Brain disconnect, works great.
All I do to set the Colorado up to tow is after connecting to the MH.
Start engine
Shift Transmission to Neutral
Shift Transfer Case to Neutral
Shift Transmission to Drive to verify Transfer Case is in Neutral
Turn Ignition Switch to Acc
Shift Transmission to Park
Disconnect Battery using Battery Brain key fob
Done. This takes less than 30 seconds.

To configure for driving:
Set parking brake
Disconnect from MH.
Reconnect Battery using Battery Brain key fob
Start engine
Shift Transmission to Neutral
Shift Transfer Case to 2 wheel drive
Done. This takes less than 30 seconds not counting time to disconnect from MH.

This is the procedure I have used on my 2015 Colorado for 1 year and over 12,000 miles. I have never had an issue. I understand others have had issues. I also understand others use different procedures. The procedure I have outlined is derived from my owners manual with duplicate steps ommitted.
When I am traveling and stop for the night and I do not disconnect the Colorado I go through this procedure each morning before departing. Another Colorado/Canyon owner did not do this each day and reported having issues until he started doing this. So as a prevention and to lubricate the engine and transmission I do this each day it is connected to the MH.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

Looks like you skip 5,6&7 on the steps I took out of my manual for the 2016 Canyon. Are they in your manual?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

Is this the Battery Brain you have? Battery Brain Monitor & Disconnect - Type III - Remote Contr - 333126
Old 11-14-2015, 05:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrphish View Post
Looks like you skip 5,6&7 on the steps I took out of my manual for the 2016 Canyon. Are they in your manual?
No, they are not. They may be peculiar to a Canyon. I understand the Canyon has an Auto 4 wheel drive feature, the 2015 Colorado does not. Or they were added due to some owners having issues. Since I have had no issues and have not received anything from GM I use the original procedure.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #13

That sounds right. Did you see my other question in item 10? Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrphish View Post
Is this the Battery Brain you have? Battery Brain Monitor & Disconnect - Type III - Remote Contr - 333126
Yes it is. I bought mine from Summit Racing, they had the best price at the time. I looked at some on E bay that were lower priced, but I was not sure if they were the same as the unit from Summit. The Battery Brain has been out for over 10 years and they are several models. I went to the Battery Brain web site to determine the latest model for my needs, then I shopped price. It is nice to disconnect the battery without opening the hood. The only side affects from disconnecting/reconnecting the battery on my Colorado are.
1. The DIC says to "Open and Close the drivers window".
2. The radio is not on any station, PRESETS ARE NOT AFFECTED.
3. The compass direction on the DIC will be wrong until the truck is driven a short distance.
That is all the affects on my Colorado.
As they say your results may vary.

Tags
colorado, tow