Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #15

Actually, it worked quite well. I think it only works with the 1.5 liter engine, but after struggling with getting Blue Ox to fabricate a base plate, we were able to tow the Malibu without substantial difficulty (we have an automatic transmission in the Malibu). Indeed, at this point, we've towed the Malibu a total of about 230 miles.

It is a pain that you have to pull two different fuses (one of which is kind of hard to reach) in order to avoid running down the battery. Additionally, once those fuses are pulled, it doesn't seem like the doors can be locked, so you can't leave anything of value in the car while it's being towed (except that the braking mechanism is sitting on the floor of the car - we have an iRV braking system).

Having said that, the 2016 Malibu weights about 800 lbs. less than the 2015 model, and it seems to tolerate the towing quite well. It is a fairly long vehicle for a dinghy, but I've not had significant problems with it yet. Plus, believe it or not, it's the first American car I've purchased in over 30 years, and i am quite impressed with it.

Good luck.

BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went back to my dealer and found some LT models with and without the active shutters. I was just about to buy when I decided to take a look at the Ford Fusion. I ended up buying the Fusion. It road better and seemed more solid for the same money. I hadn't configured it for Dinghy tow yet and about two weeks ago my wife realized that our Jeep we traded was such a fun car and decided she wanted one again so we traded her car for a Jeep Unlimited Sahara package. Still the best car to Dinghy in my opinion.

Viv and Dutch Freiberger
2015 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
Lexington Park, MD
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
You can buy a fuse bypass or you can build one and hide the bypass switch under the edge of the dash, when I built my bypass I got a blown fuse took the plastic off soldered a wire to each blade ran the wire to the driver side with a fuse holder and fuse to a simple two way switch, cost was 5 or 6 dollars.

Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
This has been quite the learning experience for our local Chevy dealers. After receiving feedback from the iRV2 community, we asked the dealers to pop the hood on the car we test drove (which had the 1.5L engine) and take a look. Guess what?? NO SHUTTERS! They come that way, standard. Thank you to the iRV2 community for helping us get beyond the inexperience of our local dealers!
Bowditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
I purchased a "GTC CT6100 Fuse Socket Connector Kit" from Amazon. Makes the construction of you own cutoff switch a breeze. Much less expensive than the ones being sold for retail. Just get this connector, some wire, a switch, and a fuse holder.
2011 Monaco Knight 36', MaxForce 10, 350HP, 1150 lbs. Torque.
2008 Saturn Vue Toad, SMI Duo Brake, Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
San Antonio, TX Home Port
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #20
There are 2 versions of Chevrolet Malibu.

Even as early as December 2015, we rented a 2016 Malibu from National Car Rental. I confirmed it by reading the VIN number of the car. The 10th digit was the letter "G" for model year 2016. However, it looked exactly like a 2015 and earlier style. It had the 2.5 engine with "auto-stop" engine for better mileage.

The newest style "completely redesigned" 2016 Malibu is also registered as a 2016 Malibu, but it's a completely different animal than the previous generation, and undoubtedly has a completely different chassis and frame to connect a base plate.

Malibu.....Malibu Limited.....2016 vs 2016......Arrrrrrgh!!!

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

chevy, install