Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #127

I used a switch that completely disconnects the neg pole from the car system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I need to remove the nose because I never ran the coach 12v/hot to the battery or the breakaway wires. So the wires for that are attached to the 5 pin connector but are just tied up behind now. I also want to run the wires and zip tie/put them in loom correctly for the breakaway (an the 12v hot from the coach). I have done the nose a couple times and it is not a big deal now.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to ask.
I was originally going to connect the 12v (pos and neg) from the coach to the batt2 side of the corresponding switches. Batt2 then connects to the battery and the separate 12v cig lighter adapter inside for the RViBrake. I protected the coach/battery and cig lighter by fuses.
Is this ok? More specifically the coach to battery without a regulator (towed battery charger) over 16ga wire?
I see a couple different battery towed chargers but they all want to connect to the chassis ground. And I am totally isolating the battery from the towed as a safety precaution.
I am thinking the RViBrake should not use a large draw and the towed battery should be pretty close to full charge.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #130

2015 focus

I installed a battery cut off switch from autozone. Purchased the one with fuse bypass. I haven't as yet to reset anything. Just have to open hood to use, but not big deal. Happy trails
Old 09-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #131

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I switch the ground were it hooks on the body toward the drivers side
And put my battery switch on the fuse panel with Velcro.
Thanks Don 2016 Ford Focus se
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Can I switch the ground were it hooks on the body toward the drivers side
And put my battery switch on the fuse panel with Velcro.
Thanks Don 2016 Ford Focus se
If you look back to my pics you'll see mine is on the fuse box. No need to move the ground anywhere. Or am I misunderstanding?
It does have to be very close to the battery. If you try and move it towards the drivers fender you will not be able to close the hood.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #133

I looked at the Focus for a Toad but instead went with 2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid. Have towed it from Seattle to Florida twice this year for over 20,000 miles total. Have averaged over43mpg for the life of the car and got 52.1mpg on a trip from Seattle to Portland. Use all Roadmaster equipment. Falcon 2 Towbar, EZ5 base plates, breakaway switch, roadmaster lighting tied into existing tail\brakelights and Invisibrake all installed at Roadmaster factory in Vancouver, Washington. I ca do the whole hookup in under 2 minutes including putting the car in nuetral, touch button to turn off ignition, open door, hit the lock button, and then close door. Takes us longer to do all the safety checks including on doing a runoff and watch the tires turn. Perfect quiet, fun to drive car
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #134

Ford Super Duty Owner
What does that have to do with flat towing a focus?
Don
Old 09-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #135

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question if I put a switch between the ground on the body were cable is connected.
What will the little white wire do it's not connected to ground? Do think there is a
Phantom ground somewaregoing to auto connect. I figure if you disconnect the ground it the same as removing cable unless the switch reconnects simple just remove knob every time.
Don
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #136

There is a another ground wire near the battery terminal that goes to the transmission. Disconnecting the neg post at the firewall will not disconnect the ground that goes to the transmission.

Look at previous posts you will see how it is done. You van run a short cable from the battery to get the neg into the open then put a switch there. Next put a short cable from the switch to a blind b post. Use that post to attach the original cable that came off of the battery.

You will have enough wire to pull the original battery cable as shown on the pictures.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #137

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks that's what I need to know.
Don
Old 09-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #138

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I know this is an old thread, but I want to thank you for the info on the hole location. That was just what I was looking for, since I have a Manual trans, the clutch hole is full but even if it wasn't I would be concerned about the exhaust heat.

It wasn't real easy but beats drilling holes in a blind fashion and tight spaces!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI, 2200 miles round trip from Tampa to Decatur. Worked like a charm. Very happy with my decision to flat tow and thanks to all the folks on here for their help.
A lot quicker to hook up than if I had a tow dolly.
Now, gas mileage on the coach is another story
Old 10-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #140

Towing a Ford Focus

I'm getting ready to set up my Focus for flat towing (Blue Ox base plate, Alpha tow bar, light kit and RVI 3 brake system). I was going to disconnect the negative battery cable and run a separate 12 volt line also available from Blue Ox for the brake system from the battery and ground it to the lug to the firewall. This seems to be discouraged and I'm not sure where else to ground it. I've learned a lot on this thread and any replies would be appreciated.

Tags
ford, tow, towing