Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm
Mine is a 2016 with all the bells and whistles (push button start , technology pkg, sync 3 with nav etc). Looks like I am going to do a dolly. Maybe a little inconvenient to put the straps on. But better than opening the hood and doing the battery thing AND losing all the setting for all that tech stuff AND having to wait for the tranny to boot up (they say could take 15 mins each time the bat is disconnect and reconnected) AND the tranny has to relearn my driving habits too.
acme seems to be my preference as it has brakes and sealed bearings
They are also having a sale right now

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I disconnnected the negative for a long time and now have disconnected the positve for quite a while and both seem to work the same. If you disconnect the negative you have no way to power an aux brake or brake lights from the toad battery.

My 2012 SE only takes a few seconds for the transmission to re-initalize after turning the key back on. I was told by my Ford service writer that the adaptive transmission parameters do not need to be relearned after the battery is disconnected. I cannot personally tell any difference in driving it before and after.

My sync system doesn't loose anything I can tell. I do loose the system date/time, radio presets and trip odometer. I was told by a Ford service tech there is a preset saver tool that mechanics use (on amazon for less that $20). It is a small battery that plugs into a 12V socket while the main battery is disconnected. Seems to me this would defeat the purpose of disconnecting the battery as required by the manual for flat towing. I asked him the question specifically in reference to disconnecting the battery while towing and he didn't see a problem. Just his opinion.

Before you spend money on a dolly why don't you just disconnect the battery for an hour or so then see what happens when you reconnect. It may not be as bad as you are thinking.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Hmmm
Mine is a 2016 with all the bells and whistles (push button start , technology pkg, sync 3 with nav etc). Looks like I am going to do a dolly. Maybe a little inconvenient to put the straps on. But better than opening the hood and doing the battery thing AND losing all the setting for all that tech stuff AND having to wait for the tranny to boot up (they say could take 15 mins each time the bat is disconnect and reconnected) AND the tranny has to relearn my driving habits too.
acme seems to be my preference as it has brakes and sealed bearings
They are also having a sale right now
Did you get the Titanium? They're pretty nice. I debated for awhile over getting new or used. So I ended up with a 2105 Hatchback with leather, SE appearance package and moonroof that had 17,000 miles. Awesome rebates on the new 15's right now too.

I bought the Focus so I could get rid of my tow dolly. What a pain the dolly can be sometimes. Not only the straps, but the chains too. It's also so wide that I worry about it clipping a mail box or other obstacle. Good luck with yours.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
I disconnnected the negative for a long time and now have disconnected the positve for quite a while and both seem to work the same. If you disconnect the negative you have no way to power an aux brake or brake lights from the toad battery.

My 2012 SE only takes a few seconds for the transmission to re-initalize after turning the key back on. I was told by my Ford service writer that the adaptive transmission parameters do not need to be relearned after the battery is disconnected. I cannot personally tell any difference in driving it before and after.

My sync system doesn't loose anything I can tell. I do loose the system date/time, radio presets and trip odometer. I was told by a Ford service tech there is a preset saver tool that mechanics use (on amazon for less that $20). It is a small battery that plugs into a 12V socket while the main battery is disconnected. Seems to me this would defeat the purpose of disconnecting the battery as required by the manual for flat towing. I asked him the question specifically in reference to disconnecting the battery while towing and he didn't see a problem. Just his opinion.

Before you spend money on a dolly why don't you just disconnect the battery for an hour or so then see what happens when you reconnect. It may not be as bad as you are thinking.
Good to know the trans and Sync doesn't lose any settings. I can probably live with losing the presets and clock.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #19

I suspect there is more to Ford's requirement to have the negative disconnected before towing. I am not an automotive engineer and want to second those who are.

The disconnect location under the hood looks to easy to locate a cutoff switch. I like it there because if you cutoff the battery when the engine is running bad things happen electricly. Having the switch out of reach aleviates the problem.

With the battery disconnected you will have to run the lights directly from your coach and use a mechanically operated aux braking. The Focus weighs less than 3000 lbs so that may be moot in most states.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found this post so decided to go with flat towing.
2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect
As much as I do not like popping the hood every time it seems like the least intrusive to my retired life
Thanks for all the input!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loving our dolly with the Focus

I've towed both flat (several years ago different car) and on a dolly. By far I like the dolly. The initial equipment cost, ease of use, peace of mind when towing, and fast load times make towing with our American Car Dolly a winner for us. Just load and go. Strapping takes abut 5 minutes.

Many say the hook up on a flat tow is easier , but I've run both ways and the time of hooking vs loading to me is inconsequential. We've towed the dolly from GA to Alaska and back to FL over 20,000 miles with our 2007 Focus and I will not ever go back to flat towing. Just my 2 cents.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #22

I recently purchased a new 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium which I will be towing it behind my Winnebago 30b. I will be using a Blue Ox Alfa tow bar and plan on using a Blue Ox Base plate. The two things that I have agonized over have been the brake light system, and the toad brake system.

I am leaning towards the Blue Ox Auto Stop system and the Blue Ox clear LED bulb system.

I am at the Tampa RV Super Show and I will be talking to the Blue Ox representatives along with Camping Connection to arrange install.

I know very little about Camping Connection. Any input would be appreciated. I will you know what happened.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 AM   #23

Has anyone tried this Hopkins Light System? Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles Hopkins Tow Bar Wiring HM56008 It looks easy to install and non-intrusive on the cars electrical system.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2013 Titanium I disconnect the positive terminal, have not had any problems. The reason Ford says to disconnect positive is so you do not blow up the battery. Use a short wrench, put cable in a glove push down beside battery. Before removing cable follow the dash prompts lock door with remote. I installed the Blue Ox base plate, The Ford bumper is hard steel, had to go to Fastenal to buy a US made drill bit.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #25

Has anyone actually talked to Ford about the pos/neg side disconnect? If I use a like the
Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #26

(Oops! I hate cell phones.) If I use a switch this should negate the possibility of me shorting the positive side. I can surmise that they don't want you to send a surge into the computers.

On the negative side, where does that little wire coming off the terminal go? The transmission?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
I recently purchased a new 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium which I will be towing it behind my Winnebago 30b. I will be using a Blue Ox Alfa tow bar and plan on using a Blue Ox Base plate. The two things that I have agonized over have been the brake light system, and the toad brake system.

I am leaning towards the Blue Ox Auto Stop system and the Blue Ox clear LED bulb system.

I am at the Tampa RV Super Show and I will be talking to the Blue Ox representatives along with Camping Connection to arrange install.

I know very little about Camping Connection. Any input would be appreciated. I will you know what happened.
You should read the reviews of the Blue Ox clear LED system on Amazon. Not good at all
Old 01-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #28

Looked at order slip and what I purchased was a BX8869 which is the bulb and socket kit. I believe |Thanks for the info.

Tags
ford, tow, towing