Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCar View Post
Coincidence I just mailed mine back to E-Trailer returns this afternoon. Im not taking any chances with the DCT. I haven't decided yet to do the Blue Ox or Roadmaster wire and bulb kit, or my own LED version.
Did you install the Blue ox lighting kit? I'm wondering how much room is in the taillight housing for those large bulbs. You have me worried about those diodes now

The good deal I thought I was getting from Etrailer on price matching wasn't as good as I thought. They gave it to me for the rivals cost, but then wanted to add the shipping that they say the competitor would have charged ($7.50). My counter was they wouldn't have charged me anything since orders over $99 were free (My order was $450). Finally after arguing with the guy through email I told him not to contact me anymore, I would only speak to a supervisor. Supervisor called and I ended up not paying the shipping. Small amount, but it's the principle of the matter.

69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
get a starter relay wired in,we tow a 2016 explorer with keyless ignition and book say disconnect neg also I put a knob switch on wil tow for 1st time this week,our previous toad was 2012 explorer did not require batt disconnect but it had a key im assuming that has something to do with it,not sure why ford says neg cable once you remove one or the other the car doesn't know which one just recognizes that there is no 12v
brianj

Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Did you install the Blue ox lighting kit? I'm wondering how much room is in the taillight housing for those large bulbs. You have me worried about those diodes now

The good deal I thought I was getting from Etrailer on price matching wasn't as good as I thought. They gave it to me for the rivals cost, but then wanted to add the shipping that they say the competitor would have charged ($7.50). My counter was they wouldn't have charged me anything since orders over $99 were free (My order was $450). Finally after arguing with the guy through email I told him not to contact me anymore, I would only speak to a supervisor. Supervisor called and I ended up not paying the shipping. Small amount, but it's the principle of the matter.
69Stang,

I am putting together my order right now, looking for the best prices like you. I will be duplicating what "hdmoxness" (Note: He passed away last month) did here (essentially page 3 of the "Battery Disconnect" thread - scroll down about half the page):
2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

However, stay away from the Blue Ox LED kit as all the reviews I've seen state you cannot see it in bright day light. The regular Blue Ox kit works well. I won't be installing my parts until the garage gets above freezing (late Feb/early Mar), but have seen several posts of the Blue Ox kits being installed with no problem, and all the posts used the same location as hdmoxness shows in the pictures he posted.
Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb And Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit

RVupgradeStore has it for $46.93. Just for comparison, I bought the Blue Ox base plate from them as they were $30 cheaper than anyone else back in October 2015, and they only charged me $7 S&H. I've bought items for other projects from them and have always been surprised of their low S&H charges. I like E-Trailer, but think they have some competition.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #46

Quote:
69Stang,

I am putting together my order right now, looking for the best prices like you. I will be duplicating what "hdmoxness" (Note: He passed away last month) did here (essentially page 3 of the "Battery Disconnect" thread - scroll down about half the page):
2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect

However, stay away from the Blue Ox LED kit as all the reviews I've seen state you cannot see it in bright day light. The regular Blue Ox kit works well. I won't be installing my parts until the garage gets above freezing (late Feb/early Mar), but have seen several posts of the Blue Ox kits being installed with no problem, and all the posts used the same location as hdmoxness shows in the pictures he posted.
Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb And Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit

RVupgradeStore has it for $46.93. Just for comparison, I bought the Blue Ox base plate from them as they were $30 cheaper than anyone else back in October 2015, and they only charged me $7 S&H. I've bought items for other projects from them and have always been surprised of their low S&H charges. I like E-Trailer, but think they have some competition.
Did E-Trailer charge you shipping charges when you sent the Hopkins back?

I'm also going to duplicate the shutoff that hdmoxness posted. I didn't know he died, sad to hear.

I have been looking at the Blue Ox BX8869 and the Roadmaster 155 lighting systems. The 155 is a few dollars more, but it has all the 4 pin connectors attached already. I don't see those on the BX8869. Still debating that one.

RVUpgradeStore is the competitors I spoke of to Etrailer. They are definitely cheaper. The Roadmaster EZ5 I ordered is $55 cheaper through them than Etrailer. RVUpgradeStore also carries the lighting kits. They also have the Roadmaster Breakaway kit for $99 that I want to get.

The only thing left I haven't figured is how to install a Brake Activation Notification light system. Not having the battery connected makes this a little more difficult because all the kits I've seen have you splice into the brake pedal switch. They won't work without power. Somehow I need to tap into the brake pedal switch to use it for the notification light while not providing power to the vehicle. I might even do a simple system that hangs in the car and lights up. I just need to figure out the switch issue.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #47

Yes - E-Trailer charged me $10.95 S&H to return, but made it painless. Sent me a label to print out with all information, just print and tape on box.

The third generation Ford Focus (2011-2017 model years) is a perfect toad. We should start a more organized "how to" for do-it-your-selfers. Except for the base plate, most of the other things should be the same.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post

I have been looking at the Blue Ox BX8869 and the Roadmaster 155 lighting systems. The 155 is a few dollars more, but it has all the 4 pin connectors attached already. I don't see those on the BX8869. Still debating that one.
BTW - in most installations I've seen, you actually cut off the 4 pin connector. And to electrically connect the motorhome to the toad, they use the coiled cords like this:

Coiled Cord Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

Possibly RoadMaster makes a coiled cord with a 4-pin coming out.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #49

Quote:
BTW - in most installations I've seen, you actually cut off the 4 pin connector. And to electrically connect the motorhome to the toad, they use the coiled cords like this:

Coiled Cord Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

Possibly RoadMaster makes a coiled cord with a 4-pin coming out.
I had considered the connections being different, but I have a 4 way round to 4 way flat adapter that I had to use for the tow dolly. I may reconsider and just take the round fitting off the adapter and put it on the lighting system. That way everything is round and it will eliminate the adapter completely.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #50

Motorhome to Car height difference

This is our first time setting up anything for flat towing. 11,500 lb Class C towing 3,000 lb Ford Focus. All Blue Ox equipment. The 10,000 lb Avail tow bar instructions state a maximum difference of +/- 3". I measured and found 3.25" difference (car lower). I don't have the knowledge/experience most of you do. Does the 1/4" more push me into a drop receiver or is this close enough?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 AM   #51

Quote:
This is our first time setting up anything for flat towing. 11,500 lb Class C towing 3,000 lb Ford Focus. All Blue Ox equipment. The 10,000 lb Avail tow bar instructions state a maximum difference of +/- 3". I measured and found 3.25" difference (car lower). I don't have the knowledge/experience most of you do. Does the 1/4" more push me into a drop receiver or is this close enough?
I'm not an expert, but it does place you outside the limits so I would get a drop hitch for sure. It would eliminate any reason for Blue Ox to void your warranty while ensuring you're in their required limits.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #52

It's been a while since I posted, my garage is not heated and I was waiting for warmer weather. I'm all finished except for ordering the RViBrake2 and battery charger this afternoon. My cost is probably higher than many because I tried to buy the best of everything. Here is basically what was required to setup a late model Ford Focus for flat-towing. I bought everything except the Battery D/C stuff from https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Default.asp.

Item M/N Cost
Base Plate
Blue Ox Base Plate 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback BX2654 369.99

Tow Bar Wiring
Blue Ox Bulb And Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit BX8869 46.93
Blue Ox 7-Wire to 6-Wire, Coiled Cord BX88206 76.26

Tow Bar
Blue Ox Avail Towbar 10,000 lb. Capacity BX7420 753.01
Blue Ox Towbar Cover For Avail BX88309 49.35

Tow Bar Breaking System
RViBrake 2 BRK2012 1,150.00
RViBrake 2 Soft Shell Carrying Case 35.00
RViBrake Towed Battery Charger 50.00

Battery Disconnect - Negative Terminal
WirthCo 20387 Battery Doctor Rotary Dial D/C 39.73
Duralast GT215B battery cable (Quantity 2) GT215B 25.00
Lynx 07047 Conversion Battery Post 10.00
3/8-16 x 3/4 bolt and washer. 2.00
2-gauge lug 5.00

TOTAL COST 2,612.27
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #53

Do you have a photo of how you did the battery disconnect? I have the disconnect, just need to get the cables and such.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 AM   #54

X2 I purchased almost all that you mentioned but would like a picture of the battery disconnect please.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joecar,
Yes, please post pics of the battery connections. I am curoius how you did the disconnect but then use the iRVbrake and the battery charger.
I am acquiring everything as we speak. I have the Avail and the baseplate so far. iRVbrake 2 is top of my list after I saw a Readybrake on a rig. It adds too much space IMO when you also need a drop hitch.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #56

UPS Tracking lists the RViBrake2 as arriving on Friday. One of my goals is to develop a detailed PDF of how to DIY configure a third generation Ford Focus (2011-2017) for flat-towing (the 2018 will be an all new redesign). BTW – “hdmoxness” was in the process of doing this but passed away in December 2015. Additionally, I’d volunteer to be the keeper of the PDF and include any other pictures and/or tips you all have done (i.e. experiences with other baseplates, braking systems, etc.).

For the battery d/c, I followed the “hdmoxness” design that can be seen here 2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect
The only difference is I used a WirthCo 4-Position Mini Master Dual Battery Disconnect Switch [20393] versus the 2-Position. The switch has 4 positions: Off, A, B, or A&B. In my configuration, either the car is connected or the RViBrake2 and battery charger are connected, but neither at the same time (A&B will not be used).

With tips from some of you, we could make a DIY’er be able do it better than the “pros”. For example, the videos and instructions for the separate bulb solution (to isolate the motorhome wiring from the Focus wiring) shows simply connecting the 4-wire harness directly to the bulb’s 4” long wires. Instead, I connected the 4-wire harness to the bulbs using a weatherproof 4-way trailer connector so that if the tail light housing needs to be disconnected and removed, they don’t have to cut the wires. I should have taken pictures of it but I’ll remove the housing and show what/how it works. I’ll also show where I ran the 4-wire harness – it fits perfectly in the door sill area by only removing the weather stripping.

“hdmoxness” had an RV shop install his Blue Ox wiring kit with bulbs and stated they got all kinds of black plastic pieces inside that cannot be removed. Based on his tip, and an E-Trailer video, I drilled the hole for the Blue Ox tail light bulb with the tail light in operational orientation (so I drilled upside down) so that you don’t get black plastic in the housing.

As an extra precaution, while drilling, I removed the OEM tail light and hooked up a vacuum cleaner while drilling (this takes two people). If you don’t, you will get black plastic in places you cannot ever get out again – that red outer cover has a small gap all over the place. I still managed to get 3-4 small pieces (2x a grain of salt) and it shows up more than expected.

Since some of you may want to get this work done this weekend, I'll try to get pictures of everything out before Friday.

Tags
ford, tow, towing