Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #85

Alpine Owners Club
You are likely correct about not having to remove this liner to install a blue ox baseplate. It's out at the far end of my reliable memory now and I also didn't have all the materials in hand when I did my towing conversion so it took a longer path to completion. Fact is if you look around a bit there are several paths through the Focus firewall without drilling new holes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i would think as long as you disconnect both positive and negative, there should be no problem. you just don't want any chance of any stray current getting back to the tranny
I've been thinking about this... The reason I'm using a separate battery box to power the RViBrake2 is I worry about a stray ground. For example, what if the black negative wire on either the RViBrake2 charger or the cigarette plug adapter (both directly wired to the battery) gets tattered some how - now you've got a ground. If I were to try and use the Focus battery, I think I would want to disconnect both negative and positive terminals. For now, I'll keep with the separate battery box and get some exercise.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #87

ford focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I am thinking. Never a good thing when I start doing that.
I haven't purchased the tow bar yet. I bought the Focus because it can be flat towed. I knew the battery would have to be disconnected. I was going to hook up a latching relay to the ground so all I would need would be a switch inside (instead of having to open the hood and manually disconnect the battery ground) with a safety cover (so can't accidentally hit it while driving). The Focus requires the ground to be disconnected (not the positive). After more research (and I also now own the car) I realize the relay needs to be hooked up to the positive side.
Any thoughts on how I might be able to hook up a latching relay to the negative side of the battery?
Or other suggestions so I will not have to pop the hood every time I connect/disconnect the toad.
i have a solenoid to disconnect the battery , listed in the irv2 classifieds
Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #88

After installing the baseplate, battery disconnect and tail lights I decided to treat myself and give my body a break. I went to see my local mobile electronics guy and had him connect the existing lighter plug to the battery. This was done by disconnecting the existing wires from the plug and installing an isolated circuit to the battery that doesn't use it car's ground. This way when I use the battery negative disconnect I have a battery circuit to power the RVibrake2.

I have chosen not to install the break away switch. Am I going to hell?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
After installing the baseplate, battery disconnect and tail lights I decided to treat myself and give my body a break. I went to see my local mobile electronics guy and had him connect the existing lighter plug to the battery. This was done by disconnecting the existing wires from the plug and installing an isolated circuit to the battery that doesn't use it car's ground. This way when I use the battery negative disconnect I have a battery circuit to power the RVibrake2.

I have chosen not to install the break away switch. Am I going to hell?
I have to agree with "give my body a break." The last thing I did was re-installing that plastic grommet (where a clutch pedal would go it my car was a standard) - broke 2 nails and back's a little sore from the contortion.

Good idea on using OEM plug, will make hooking up the RViBrake2 easier. And one less loose cord hanging around.

Concerning the brake-away switch - rethink that. Of all the things I did, that was the easiest. If the toad does break loose you (or your lawyer) might not be very happy. Additionally, all but 8 states require a brake-away switch - and none of those states border each other - be careful where you drive ;o)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #90

Brake-away law link:
State and Province Towing Laws - NSA RV Products
Old 04-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
The plastic wheel liner is on the outside of the car above the tire. It covers the entire wheel well(top, front and rear). Its above the tire and inside the fender. After you take off the front tire remove a few screws and plastic buttons and it drops down and comes right out. You have to remove this liner when installing your baseplate. The foam insulation to remove is between the backside of the fender panel and the cars unibody frame near the driver door hinges. It is held in place with just a little light adhesive that comes loose pretty easy. Sorry I don't have pictures but there are pictures in the blue ox baseplate install instructions.
Here's a video that shows how to remove the plastic wheel liner:
Old 04-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I almost ready to do the install of the baseplate and wiring. I plan on doing it all in one day while I have the nose off.
I am going to go with the RViBrake 2. What I plan on doing is to disconnect the + and - of the battery with 2 of these switches:
Blue Sea Systems e-Series 3 Position Battery Switch
to completely isolate the battery from the frame/tranny. The second connection on the switch will be to power the brake and as a hot lead to coach and will also keep the battery charged.
Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
So I almost ready to do the install of the baseplate and wiring. I plan on doing it all in one day while I have the nose off.
I am going to go with the RViBrake 2. What I plan on doing is to disconnect the + and - of the battery with 2 of these switches:
Blue Sea Systems e-Series 3 Position Battery Switch
to completely isolate the battery from the frame/tranny. The second connection on the switch will be to power the brake and as a hot lead to coach and will also keep the battery charged.
Thoughts?
I think that is the most assured solution to 100% protect the transmission if you are going to use the Focus battery to power the RViBrake2. Also, doing everything else once you have the fascia off is smart, wish I had done that.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #94

1st flat tow coming up next weekend. I reviewed the procedures in the manual again and have a question. It states in step 4 "...and then switch off the ignition and release the brake pedal". I have the keyed ignition and it will not switch off if the transmission is left in neutral. Am I correct that the ignition will only go back one position, not to off? If that is correct, I will need to leave the key in the ignition and manually lock the doors with the other key?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rec Towing.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	124793  
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #95

69Stang,

I've got the keyless and can't help on this. Good luck with first trip. Our first trip is a month away
Old 04-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #96

yes that is correct, the key has to be left in . i bought a blank key off ebay that matched my key design, and when i was getting my first oil change at my selling dealer i had the parts man grind the hey pattern in it and it worked great, but it has no program in it so it will not start the car.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCar View Post
69Stang,

I've got the keyless and can't help on this. Good luck with first trip. Our first trip is a month away
Thanks Joe. Very excited for this first flat tow trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
yes that is correct, the key has to be left in . i bought a blank key off ebay that matched my key design, and when i was getting my first oil change at my selling dealer i had the parts man grind the hey pattern in it and it worked great, but it has no program in it so it will not start the car.
Thanks Billy. That's a great idea about getting the key made.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #98

Alpine Owners Club
Hey 69Stang,
Before you bother to get a new key I suggest you trial run the Ford tow prep including disconnecting the battery just to see how it works on your car. The way my '12 works is that when you turn the key "off" it stops just before the off position and will not come out of the ignition switch but as soon as the battery is disconnected you can turn it just a tad further and it comes out with no problem.
One other obvious issue I have run into is that after you disconnect the battery you cannot operate any electric door locks or rear hatch latch. So if you want to lock the passenger doors (they only have electric locks) or get into the rear hatch you better do it before the battery is disconnected. I have to admit that I don't alway remember this little detail.

Tags
ford, tow, towing