Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Ford Focus flat towing

I am thinking. Never a good thing when I start doing that.
I haven't purchased the tow bar yet. I bought the Focus because it can be flat towed. I knew the battery would have to be disconnected. I was going to hook up a latching relay to the ground so all I would need would be a switch inside (instead of having to open the hood and manually disconnect the battery ground) with a safety cover (so can't accidentally hit it while driving). The Focus requires the ground to be disconnected (not the positive). After more research (and I also now own the car) I realize the relay needs to be hooked up to the positive side.
Any thoughts on how I might be able to hook up a latching relay to the negative side of the battery?
Or other suggestions so I will not have to pop the hood every time I connect/disconnect the toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

I would not disconnect battery. Especially these new cars with transmission computers etc. I took and just put a "toad charge" in it and no issues. Just unplug and go.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I would not disconnect battery. Especially these new cars with transmission computers etc. I took and just put a "toad charge" in it and no issues. Just unplug and go.
I couldn't agree more. The electronics in cars these days are very sensitive.

The other downside is that you lose and programmed info like Bluetooth pairing and channels on the radio.

I also installed a toad charge and it solved our discharge problem.

I hesitate to mention it here because every time I do I get all kind of comments about how it's a waste of money.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
With the new Focus the battery must be disconnected. I want to keep the warranty valid So if I use it flat I don't have a choice.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

I just bought a 2015 and have similar questions. I believe others have mounted a battery disconnect to the negative side (under the hood). Not sure how though.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I just bought a 2015 and have similar questions. I believe others have mounted a battery disconnect to the negative side (under the hood). Not sure how though.
The manual battery disconnect is pretty straight forward if you do a knife type disconnect. Need to make sure you do ALL the grounds though. I wanted to do a relay with a toggle type mom on/off/ mom on switch inside the car which makes it more difficult
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
What type of vehicle do you tow? The ford focus require the neg battery (at the battery) to be disconnected.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

I'd go for a simple underhood battery disconnect. Its going to be more reliable than any system involving a relay. Popping the hood only takes a few seconds.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

I tow a 2013 Focus. It doesn't matter whether you disconnect the negative or the positive. Either will work. I disconnect the positive side because its easy to get to. I placed a battery disconnect switch under the hood and it works well. The switch is available at most auto parts stores.

David
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I tow a 2013 Focus. It doesn't matter whether you disconnect the negative or the positive. Either will work. I disconnect the positive side because its easy to get to. I placed a battery disconnect switch under the hood and it works well. The switch is available at most auto parts stores.

David
I am not willing to risk a repair bill in the multiple thousands of dollars if there is an issue with the tranny while towing it behind the rv. There are reasons for disconnecting the negative and not the positive. I will keep my warranty in tact if the negative is the disconnect point. For me that's the biggie.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
What type of vehicle do you tow? The ford focus require the neg battery (at the battery) to be disconnected.
MKX
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #12

Quote:
MKX
Ford doesn't require you to disconnect the battery? The Focus manual specifically says to disconnect the negative cable. I just hate to lose my presets. I'm thinking the trans will have to do the re-learn also.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #13

Been towing the 2015 Ford Focus SE and have the disconnect knob under hood. Have had no problems what so ever. Have SMI Air Force One braking system. Don't even know it's back there. Good Luck with yours.

The Ford Focus with the electric drivers seat fits anyone, even me at 6-5 inches.
The in and out is a bit slow at my age, but once seated and driving, it really performs great. GREAT MILAGE!!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

have towed our 2014 Ford Fiesta SE for 38,000 miles with NO issues whatsoever - actually is VERY easy - just put in neutral and GO!
Now, as for the battery cutoff - I installed a simple off-the-shelf from Autozone DIAL type unit under the hood. Yes, it's under the hood, but it's not any big deal, it's just part of the easy hook and go process, plus, without the cutoff you will probably not be able to remove your KEY while in neutral.
But, having said that, there is also nothing saying that you HAVE to use a battery cutoff. It's only a useful feature if you feel as if the parasitic draws from normal items like the electronics will pull down your battery too much when traveling great distances.
Mine probably doesn't really need it, but rather than attaching some sort of battery trickle charger, I choose to use a battery cutoff switch.
While the battery cutoff will 'reset' your electronic information, such as date/time, sound and channel custom settings, etc, it's no big deal. At least not to me.

go, and enjoy!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing