Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

2016 Ford Fusion Tail Light Wiring Harness

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has wired up the tail lights on a current year Fusion to tow wiring. The wiring going into the tail light is about 26 gauge (five wires with strange color codes) although the tail light itself has only four wires. I'm looking for a 'T' connector harness that I can use to connect to the existing tail light connectors so I don't have to splice those fine wires. I've gone to every site I can think of, they have the 'T' harnesses but none are for the newer Ford Fusion.
Semper Fi and Keep Smiling
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #2

Roadmaster wired our 2015 Fusion Hybrid and works perfectly.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Honwing,
A Roadmaster dealer or a Roadmaster store? Unfortunately we have only one RV dealer in town here and they have no experience with Ford Fusions. The Roadmaster web site state they have no harness for a 2015 or 16 fusion tow. I'm thinking of buying a trailer tow harness and cutting it up for parts, but I sure would like the real thing. Can you contact those folks and ask them for some info? Or give me the phone number?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Email Exchange with Roadmaster on this issue

Hi,
Have run into a problem using your universal wiring kit on my new Fusion. The wiring going into the tail light assembly is 24/26 AWG, too small to be splicing into. Do you have a ĎTí connector wiring harness I can use/adapt to overcome this problem? On the iRV site one of the respondents to my email query states that he had your folks do his wiring and he was very happyÖ Itís a long way from NC to WA so thatís out of the question. Would appreciate any help/product info you could give me. The local RV dealer is was not helpful nor was Ford.
Keep Smiling,
Bob Rudolf

Bob,

I do apologize but Roadmaster, Inc. does not have a "T" connector to use for the 2016 Ford Fusion with the 24/26 AWG wiring. It is advisable to use magnetic tow lights part# 2100 (Deluxe Kit) or the 2120 (Standard Kit includes the 4-wire flat plug & harness), due to this vehicle has variable voltage and you can not tap into the wiring. Hope this helps, good luck and have a great day.

Hi,
Donít want to be argumentative, but as I stated in my original email a gentleman from Woodland, Washington states that Roadmaster wired his 2015 Ford Fusion and he has been very happy with the results. The 2015 and 2016 tail light wiring are physically the same.
Bob

If you choose to wire the vehicle, you are welcome to do so, but this vehicle has possible variable voltage and you will have a heck of a time with getting the correct voltage for the tail light assemblies when trying to wired in the universal wiring kit part# 154. I have attached the installation instructions for you to hopefully help.

Hopefully Honwing will give us more info so we can resolve this issue.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #5

Sorry for the lack of info last night. I am only 30 minutes away from Roadmaster's Vancouver Washington Factory. Took our new Fusion to them to have the base plates and Invisibrake installed at the same time. When there they wired the lights for another $125. Everything works perfectly and will be towing it to Florida in February.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 AM   #6

They can be reached at 360-896-0407 or toll free 800-669-9690. Very friendly and easy to work with. They did a very clean install on our 2015 hybrid and should be able to put together a kit for the 2016. Also I have seen all of the horror stories about the Invisibrake but it works great in our fusion. Never a problem. Hope this helps. Lastly the Fusion Hybrid makes an excellent toad. With 9,960 miles on the car we show an average of 44.2 mpg to date. Towed behind a 2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G getting 14.8 mpg these two make a great combo.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

2016 Ford Fusion Tail Light Wiring Harness

Honwing,
Talked to Bennie at Roadmaster, they don't sell a kit to accomplish what they did for you. Because of the voltage variations you have to install a 50 Ohm 5 Watt resistor in line with the running lights and you do have to cut into the wiring at some point since no one sells a 'T' connector for the 2015/2016 fusion tail lights. He recommended using the magnetic tail lights. The resistors could probably be installed in-line on the motor home side , but splicing into the wiring could be problematic due to the small size on the tail light side. You would have to find a splice that matches 24 AWG to 8 AWG and they don't make so many of those as in 'none'. So I guess I'll use the magnetic lights until Curt and the rest of the plug manufacturers catch up. Read the same horror stories on the Invisi-Brake so I elected to go with the Brakemaster. Installing that now. Needless to say my wife was not too thrilled with me disassembling her new car. My garage is presently full of car and kit parts. Thanks for your info and help, the news on the suitability of the fusion tow is great to hear. I could kick myself, we were up in the TN mountains recently and my neighbor had a fusion tow. If it hadn't been raining so hard I would have walked over and questioned him about it. His was an apparent clean wire job too.
We're heading to FL in Jan also. If you're planning to be around the Ft Lauderdale area I would recommend the Aztec RV Park, first class park. Close to everything and gated.
Semper Fi and Keep Smiling,
Bob R

Tags
ford, light, wiring